Small processer job

Help Support CattleToday:

sstterry said:
callmefence said:
Correct.
Here's a couple of steers they did for me hanging in my cooler. We do the final processing ourselves.

Sorry, I am late to this thread Fence, but do you also have a vacuum sealer and flash freezer? It seems like a big investment just to process for personal use.

I have a vacuum sealer and a commercial size grinder. I built the cooler mostly for deer season. I don't have that much in it..... Google coolbot.

Thats an interesting set up you are working on Fence. Does the butcher shop accept jobs from anyone or only muslims? If only muslims it's surprising to me that they would be expanding so fast.

I agree with you on businesses being afraid to expand. In this country people are told from a very young age to stay out of debt. Most on this board seem to think if a man buys a new tractor and baler he'll be broke by the end of the week, god forbid a man goes into some real debt like land and cattle. The truth is if you want to make money it takes money. You can spend 10yrs saving every penny to buy whatever your after or get a loan and buy it now. If you wait the 10 yrs I promise you the price of what your after will go up more than than interest you would have paid, get the loan and spend the next 10 yrs making money and expanding the business.

Your home cooler looks pretty nice. I'd like to see a few more pics. I've been helping a friend out with his home butcher shop. He's got a walk in, saws, grinder, big sinks, etc

sstterry said:
I was talking to a guy yesterday that sells a lot of steers direct and he said that he was booking spots at some processors for October 2021.

By the way, to those of you that sell direct to the consumer, how do you charge? Do you go by live weight or hanging weight? Also, what do you charge?

We sell mostly to Tyson direct. So we charge live price. Based off of what our bid was that week. We either weigh the str at the elevator first or take the hanging wt ÷ 0.62.
My best friend sells quarters. He uses Tyson's base grid price and the quarters weight.
Whoever is buying always pays processing.

Lucky said:
Thats an interesting set up you are working on Fence. Does the butcher shop accept jobs from anyone or only muslims? If only muslims it's surprising to me that they would be expanding so fast.

I agree with you on businesses being afraid to expand. In this country people are told from a very young age to stay out of debt. Most on this board seem to think if a man buys a new tractor and baler he'll be broke by the end of the week, god forbid a man goes into some real debt like land and cattle. The truth is if you want to make money it takes money. You can spend 10yrs saving every penny to buy whatever your after or get a loan and buy it now. If you wait the 10 yrs I promise you the price of what your after will go up more than than interest you would have paid, get the loan and spend the next 10 yrs making money and expanding the business.

Your home cooler looks pretty nice. I'd like to see a few more pics. I've been helping a friend out with his home butcher shop. He's got a walk in, saws, grinder, big sinks, etc

They will slaughter for anyone. But the bulk of their business goes to markets and restaurants in the Austin area. Not all halal , but they do offer halal. They kill several thousand sheep and goats a week. They will also buy stock (sheep and goats, but that's changing)directly from a producer, generally at around 5- 10 percent below auction prices. So by the time you figure commission, shrink, and hauling. Comes out near the same.
I'll get some more pics of the cooler, let me do some cleaning... LoL

sstterry said:
callmefence said:

I assume you built it yourself? If so, how did you insulate it? I am also assuming at 8' it is a walk-in? I am having a hard time conceptualizing the 4' part is that width?
So it's built in the corner of my shop , 8' wide, 4' deep, and 8' tall. I framed with 2x6 and used osb for walls , two layers of r12 fiberglass and 1" styorfom simply because I had that. It will maintain below 40 degrees in Temps below 85 , around 47 at 100 degree outside temp. I need to insulate the floor some how. My infared thermoter tells me this is where I'm losing ground in hot weather. You'd think concrete would be cool. But the floor gets pretty warm.
I set up where I could hang quarters directly in front of the ac. The meat stays cool and very dry. ..I've posted pics before, but I can't recall where. I'll get some and post.. I've got two stainless steel covered work tables right outside the cooler door

callmefence said:
sstterry said:
callmefence said:

I assume you built it yourself? If so, how did you insulate it? I am also assuming at 8' it is a walk-in? I am having a hard time conceptualizing the 4' part is that width?
So it's built in the corner of my shop , 8' wide, 4' deep, and 8' tall. I framed with 2x6 and used osb for walls , two layers of r12 fiberglass and 1" styorfom simply because I had that. It will maintain below 40 degrees in Temps below 85 , around 47 at 100 degree outside temp. I need to insulate the floor some how. My infared thermoter tells me this is where I'm losing ground in hot weather. You'd think concrete would be cool. But the floor gets pretty warm.
I set up where I could hang quarters directly in front of the ac. The meat stays cool and very dry. ..I've posted pics before, but I can't recall where. I'll get some and post.. I've got two stainless steel covered work tables right outside the cooler door

Ok, I understand about the cooler. My question was how big is your Freezer? Sorry for the misunderstanding.

As to the concrete floor, one or two rigid insulation boards covered with osb or plywood should help.

sstterry said:
callmefence said:
sstterry said:

Ok, I understand about the cooler. My question was how big is your Freezer? Sorry for the misunderstanding.

As to the concrete floor, one or two rigid insulation boards covered with osb or plywood should help.

No I'm sorry.
Freezer space not a issue. We have three households on the place. Myself I have a ~22 cubic foot in the garage and one about half that size in the utility room. Plus a stand-up type in the shop.

sstterry said:
callmefence said:

I promised some pics . I still haven't cleaned up good after the steers. But I'll be damned if I'm cleaning for anyone here..lol
The picture with the wire shows how the coolbot works. The foil is wrapped around the evaporator sensor and a heating element.
The wire in the evap fins is a temp sensor to the coolbot. When it gets to freezing it turns off compressor and runs high fan to prevent freezing up. There's another pic that shows the actual room temp on the coolbot and the temp on the ac is what the ac thinks the room temp is.. I only ran it about 20 minutes to take the picture.
That second picture is not the floor. It's a shelf built in one end. If you have to stop you can sit the meat your working on and even the grinder in the cooler.

I took 2 steers to be processed this week, had to use a facility that is new to our area but I've heard good things about them. The facility I usually go to is usually only booked 30 days out but were 90 out this time and I couldn't wait that long. Anyways when I took my steers to the place that just opened ( about 60 days ago) I asked how far out they were booked and he said end of May next year, so I went ahead and got my kill date for next year.

I've got demand for more quarters this year and had planned on finishing a second round but don't have a place to take them. My concern is that people are just butchering whatever and selling whatever to make a quick buck and people are going to get some sorry meat then associate farm fresh meat with that experience. I've already spoke to someone that bought a quarter from a neighbor of mine and he said the meat was terrible and that he would never do that again, neighbor pulls them straight off cow and feeds 30 days then butchers, no finish what-so-ever. Another concern is booking a year out, it's hard to know what kind of finish you will have on your cattle, I can usually start to tell about 60 days out when they will finish but a year? People think if it a calf you can just butcher whatever, it will ruin things for us trying to finish them right and provide a quality product while maintaining long term customers.

https://www.huberwood.com/zip-system/insulated-r-sheathing
You might pick up one of the insulated zip panels and lay on the floor. Caulk the edges where it meets the wall and lay a piece of vinyl flooring over to make it easier to clean.

Little Joe said:
Fence, what size window unit is that?

10,000 btu.
It needs to be bigger, in fact I plan to replace it with the biggest 110 I can find.
I had bought that one somewhere on sale, well because around here you keep a couple back up a/C's . I wasn't sure how everything was going to work out. We've used it two deer seasons now and I don't know how I ever got by without one. I need to put a little more into it to make it all it can be.

Latest posts