What is the job worth?

Help Support CattleToday:

They are exactly the same for me. Different formula to calculate their worth but the same. Good fences and good employees make for good production. Don't go cheap on either. Both are an investment in our business.
You certainly have the right to your own incorrect opinion.

But if you want to talk fence. Why build pipe when 5 barb will do the job??

You certainly have the right to your own incorrect opinion.

But if you want to talk fence. Why build pipe when 5 barb will do the job??
🤣 $40k is not pipe now days and based on their own history they have been trying to keep cattle in with 2 strands and its not working.

A Buccees in that area would put those guys out of business. 😄

Last edited:
🤣 $40k is not pipe now days and based on their own history they have been trying to keep cattle in with 2 strands and its not working.
For part time unskilled labor.?
There's some things you're very good at brute. It looks like you're trying to strike out on your own. I wish you luck. Your going to need if you don't start realizing you don't know it all.
Hell I remember when you called me a thief for hauling my leftover materials home. Lol
you make the things you don't know shyt about very obvious. Someday you'll realize that...
If you need anything let me know.

For part time unskilled labor.?
There's some things you're very good at brute. It looks like you're trying to strike out on your own. I wish you luck. Your going to need if you don't start realizing you don't know it all.
Hell I remember when you called me a thief for hauling my leftover materials home. Lol
you make the things you don't know shyt about very obvious. Someday you'll realize that...
If you need anything let me know.
Is part time a good or bad thing? What "inexperienced gate opener" only wants a job 6 months out of the year?

Yall can't see it any way but one way and that one way has been proven not to work, already. Yall are like you know who trying to push more failed plans.

Yes, but there's two sides to that coin...what is it worth to the employer and what is it worth to the employee.

If the employer doesn't want to pay the going wage rate, they may need to lower the job requirements to get someone with less knowledge or experience, the previously mentioned "gate opener".
Since when is $75 hr the going wage rate?
How much lower do you need to lower the qualifications of a shepherd to hire a gate opener for just $60 hour?

From the responses here, $15 hr federal minimum wage will pass with 94% support.

Last edited:
How much lower do you need to lower the qualifications of a shepherd to hire a gate opener for just $60 hour?
I think there are some things that they could do to justify paying a lower wage, such as provide the work truck, ATV and associated expenses like fuel, repairs and insurance that they are currently requiring the hired help to provide. I know it's common in TX for the large ranches with full-time ranch hands to provide housing, utilities, work truck and beef to the workers to go along with a low hourly wage.

@Aaron so tell us what will happen as the grazing season gets underway if there is nobody filling the open position?
According to Dr Peter Vinkman:
"Headed for a disaster of biblical proportions. Fire and brimstone, rivers and seas boiling! Earthquakes, volcanoes, the dead rising from the grave!
Human sacrifice! Cats and Dogs Living Together! Mass hysteria! :)

It's pretty apparent the previous guy was "getting the job done" he had been there 8 years and never did get fired. The conflict was he was cheating the clock, and still getting the job done.

The subject of how many cows could be run on 1500 acres is subjective and no one here knows the facts on that. 300 pairs sounds pretty good. 700 pairs sounds like a load of corn to me.
When someone offers me a job I don't want. I generally thank them gracefully and decline. Not attack them with criticism as how they run THEIR business. But that's just me.

insurance that they are currently requiring the hired help to provide.
What?!? Now insurance benefits on top of it for a $60 hr part time job?
Do you pay for your part time employees benefits?
What's next, maternity leave?
Most part time employees would have insurance benefits from full time job.
No work truck is required, he said the guy living across the road can just walk over.

Last edited:
@Aaron so tell us what will happen as the grazing season gets underway if there is nobody filling the open position?
They have suggested letting the pasture go idle if they can't find anyone to manage it.

I am aware who 5 of the 9 consignors are (never have asked who the other 4 are) of the 5, 4 work full time jobs off the farm, each making 100k+ a year, one is 250k+ a year. The other 1 of the 5 are wealthy pensioners who have a team of 4 guys who do their farm work for them because their morbid obesity limits their mobility.

I am with the understanding that the producers have no interest in monitoring their own cattle on a regular basis because it will cut into their other farm work/off-farm work schedule.

Basically they are all looking for cheap pasture rent and cheap labor.

The high quotes on grazing fees in Saskatchewan were $1 (80 cents US) per head per day for yearlings and $1.85 ($1.48 US) for pairs. The numbers for this pasture in comparison would be 75 cents (60 US) and $1.04 (83 cents US).

That's exactly right. But no employer should be allowing employees to bully their way into a wage that is not sustainable. If you do you will fall and no one has a job.

No body needs to pay any more then they feel they should.

What?!? Now insurance benefits on top of it for a $60 hr part time job?
Do you pay for your part time employees benefits?
What's next, maternity leave?
Most part time employees would have insurance benefits from full time job.
No work truck is required, he said the guy living across the road can just walk over.
The insurance I was referring to was for the work truck, it was my understanding that the employee had to provide his own work truck to use on the job.

From the responses here, $15 hr federal minimum wage will pass with 94% support.
A $15 federal minimum wage will cause untold numbers of unskilled workers to be replaced by technology. No more will a person take your order at McDonalds, you will enter your own order on a touchscreen, or using your iPhone on their app. The unemployed will sit at home getting fat and lazy while we all work to support them with tax dollars. Skilled workers will still have a job but will have to pay a higher tax rate to cover the unemployed masses.

A $15 federal minimum wage will cause untold numbers of unskilled workers to be replaced by technology. No more will a person take your order at McDonalds, you will enter your own order on a touchscreen, or using your iPhone on their app. The unemployed will sit at home getting fat and lazy while we all work to support them with tax dollars. Skilled workers will still have a job but will have to pay a higher tax rate to cover the unemployed masses.
Federal minimum wage has nothing to do with it. I don't know if there are even any jobs left that pay less than $15 an hour. It costs more than that to hire an immigrant to milk cows.

Automation is inevitable, even if labor costs go down. Machines don't take time off, cut corners when you aren't watching, or fail drug tests.

I suppose the way to figure how much it should cost would be to take a standard custom grazing rate and subtract a standard lease rate.

Around here that might be $1.25-$1.50 per day per cow minus $150 for the lease for a cow. Comes out to $22,500 for $1.25 or $36,000 for $1.50 per day. Assuming 300 cows and 6 months.

I always thought people that paid to custom graze their cows loved their cows too much.

Same thing I heard about ATMs in the late 70s replacing tellers in banking.
so what?
IF a person's job requires wearing a name tag and you can be replaced by a button, perhaps developing a skill would be a wise choice.

$15 minimum wage will not make unskilled jobs nearly as rare as mythical $60 hour gate opener jobs. As you told me, when I said a cow/calf producer can't afford paying $50 hr.... things cost what they cost.

What will happen with $15 hr minimum is the price of Big Gulps and bacon double cheeseburgers will rise so high, obese Americans will only be able to order
2 at a time instead their customary 4. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts