Small processer job

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence

Keyboard cowboy
Reaction score
The small slaughter facility we sell hay and do occasional welding work for is increasing production. They typically kill sheep and goats about 7 days for every day they kill beef. My men have been working nights all week and we'll work day and night through the weekend so they don't have any down time. Making the facility where they can kill sheep ,goats and beef at the same time. Apparently they have seen a huge increase in demand for their service on beef.

The processor I used said he would love to expand, but he estimated that the expansion plus the cost of another cooler to hang the beef would be 100k. He told me as much as he would like to, he just does not want to go that deep in debt and then in 2 years, everything goes back to normal.

sstterry said:
The processor I used said he would love to expand, but he estimated that the expansion plus the cost of another cooler to hang the beef would be 100k. He told me as much as he would like to, he just does not want to go that deep in debt and then in 2 years, everything goes back to normal.

That is my big fear. All of this packer shenanigans will soon be forgotten.

We need a multitude of small beef processors, and a more direct route to retail outlets. Over 90% of our beef comes from one of four mega processors. Each processor processes 30,000 head per day. They are our choke point.

Why is bigger better? Big processors lead to big problems. We have made ourselves vulnerable to their insatiable quest for economies of scale.

Small processors can barely stay open during normal times, eking out a profit, and now that we need them so desperately, they are booked solid for months, and can't find qualified help

Small processors have been legislated out of existence. We need to make the need for small processors known to Congress. We need to end our dependence away from the big four mega processors.

Regulations and laws should not be barriers to entry. Regulations and laws should be barriers to unfair trade and market dominance.

A small processor has to be profitable. That means changes in regulations and laws that have legislated them out of existence. I envision a cooperative effort between producers, processors and retail outlets.

Small beef producers need small processors. People need to know where food comes from

sstterry said:

Fear keeps many small business from growing and causes them to die on the vine. 100,000 dollars is a pretty modest investment in a business. Even a small one. He might be a great butcher but anyone booked several months out should to think about expansion.

The fear is in 6 mo every one will be back to buying from Wally World and they will be 100K in debt. Our family member were telling us they have seen this before. Under normal operation they are a week tops and are Mon-Fri and dont kill cattle every day. They also process deer and other animals. They said even if they could expand it's so hard to find reliable people that want to work in that business. They have actually been wanting to let some one younger take over or even sell it. They cant get any takers.

callmefence said:
sstterry said:

Fear keeps many small business from growing and causes them to die on the vine. 100,000 dollars is a pretty modest investment in a business. Even a small one. He might be a great butcher but anyone booked several months out should to think about expansion.

That is why I asked why he did not do it. I agree with you.

callmefence said:
sstterry said:

You call it fear. They see an unusual event driving unusual demand. Maybe they KNOW THEIR business.

Small processors can barely stay open during normal times, eking out a profit, and now that we need them so desperately, they are booked solid for months, and can't find qualified help.

Yeah, even with out dire exchange rate, 100k for a decent business....yeah, chump change....

I setup a tiny one man band business in 80s, cost me 55k with min spend a a lot of used gear and a lot not counted...only spent on what was req to get bus lic to operate by govt then.

You guys are lucky in the US, a business friendly place....

100k here would prob be the legal fees and a few months lease just to think about such a business.....

You would not spend a hundred k to try and take advantage of short term, but I am sure a long term thinking person could make that 100k really work for them by doing whatever it takes.

Anyway, great think about freedom, you can do it if you take the risk, or can stay safe and get govt assistance and attend rallies and protests if your so inclined.

100k wont even buy you a really fancy tractor here....lol.... x2 whatever your Deere etc dealer price is...

HDRider said:
callmefence said:
sstterry said:

You call it fear. They see an unusual event driving unusual demand. Maybe they KNOW THEIR business.

Small processors can barely stay open during normal times, eking out a profit, and now that we need them so desperately, they are booked solid for months, and can't find qualified help.

Good skilled people, with little business sense
It is fear. I've been self employed my entire life
And I've learned the lessons the hard way. (Being stupid and all.) I've survived mostly by being to stubborn to quit.
I suspect you have depended on someone else to right you a check your entire life. Now you've bought a little land and some cows and cry because you think you are entitled to make a living at something you know nothing about. When actually your hobby is putting product on the market that effects people who actually depend on income form agricultural

100,000 dollars spent to do 9 months of back log in 4 months is really a no brainier. A good portion of the money will be made just in work already on the books. Plus you won't be turning customers away to build relationships with your competition.
I realize you think I'm just a one man brush league post pounder. But I'll blow my horn today. Check my past works page.

https://aafencingtexas.com/

If im 9 months behind, would be buying a truck, trailer, and skidsteer tommorow.

callmefence said:
HDRider said:
callmefence said:

And I've learned the lessons the hard way. (Being stupid and all.) I've survived mostly by being to stubborn to quit.
I suspect you have depended on someone else to right you a check your entire life. Now you've bought a little land and some cows and cry because you think you are entitled to make a living at something you know nothing about. When actually your hobby is putting product on the market that effects people who actually depend on income form agricultural

100,000 dollars spent to do 9 months of back log in 4 months is really a no brainier. A good portion of the money will be made just in work already on the books. Plus you won't be turning customers away to build relationships with your competition.
I realize you think I'm just a one man brush league post pounder. But I'll blow my horn today. Check my past works page.

If im 9 months behind, would be buying a truck, trailer, and skidsteer tommorow.

I am always amazed when someone defines themselves and others on pure assumption.

I can't help a blind man see. You think because you have no filter it gives you a ticket to mouth off, and you are proud of it.

HDRider said:
callmefence said:
HDRider said:

I am always amazed when someone defines themselves and others on pure assumption.

I can't help a blind man see. You think because you have no filter it gives you a ticket to mouth off, and you are proud of it.

So I was right apparently.
If telling the truth means no filter. Your right, I'm proud.

I hate to interrupt this, but my local guy is booked up until December.

And I'll never fault anyone for hesitating to go into debt. One big reason many businesses are failing now is because they operate from month to month on borrowed money, so any down time will sink them.

Edit: I'm a small time operator working for a monthly paycheck, but I don't owe anyone any money other than monthly bills, and I sleep good at night.

Rafter S said:
I hate to interrupt this, but my local guy is booked up until December.

And I'll never fault anyone for hesitating to go into debt. One big reason many businesses are failing now is because they operate from month to month on borrowed money, so any down time will sink them.

Edit: I'm a small time operator working for a monthly paycheck, but I don't owe anyone any money other than monthly bills, and I sleep good at night.

Good for ya.
I don't fault anyone for not going in debt. Until they bitch and moan about someone who did take the risk outcompeting them.
The point of this thread was to show a small processer taking the steps to do what the beef industry needs very badly.

callmefence said:
HDRider said:
callmefence said:

Right about what? Again you operate on nothing but assumptions.

I have probably made more capital investments in one year, twenty years running, than you have made in your entire life. Is that what you are right about? I can make assumptions to.

Right about me trying to make a living off cattle. Son, I made my money. I am just trying to do a few cattle, to turn a few dollars. Is that what you were right about?

Like I said, if you are so blind as to not see what is wrong in the cattle business, then I can't help you. You gotta want to see.

Honest, no, you are just just loud, filled with too much false pride.

HDRider said:
callmefence said:
HDRider said:

Right about what? Again you operate on nothing but assumptions.

I have probably made more capital investments in one year, twenty years running, than you have made in your entire life. Is that what you are right about? I can make assumptions to.

Right about me trying to make a living off cattle. Son, I made my money. I am just trying to do a few cattle, to turn a few dollars. Is that what you were right about?

Like I said, if you are so blind as to not see what is wrong in the cattle business, then I can't help you. You gotta want to see.

Honest, no, you are just just loud, filled with too much false pride.

My pride is earned by more work than you've done in your life. Honest in I dare you catch me being dishonest. Two years ago you didn't know what end of a cow to feed. Now your a self proclaimed expert on everything to do with the cattle, slaughter and meat process business. You don't know Jack SON except what comes across your computer screen. I would rather be loud with pride than the constant crybaby you've become.

Latest posts