What is the job worth?

Help Support CattleToday:

My suspicion is word has gotten out about the group in the area and it is not positive. When you can't pull a retired person from across the road some thing is wrong. Some concesions will have to bw made to turn the tide. Right now they are just a target for people who will cut corners or make up their lack of pay in other ways.

I haven't replied to this thread before now because I've just been watching the bickering and pondering the question. After some thought I think the thing to do would be to break down what the current pay is now with maybe a slight increase and divide it by the head of cattle and the number of days their running and the pay would be ($ x number of head x number of days). That way if the place can run more head with proper management, the herdsman's pay will increase each year as the production of the pasture increases. This way the herdsman has skin in the game and if rotating more often increases grazing days or number of head he can make more as well. It would also have to be a contract of some kind stating that said herdsman gets first dibs at it the next year as long as the production remained the same or better than the year before barring a drought. It would basically be a custom grazing contract but the herdsman would not be the landowner. Also with this scenario you would be a contractor and therefore could write off any expenses associated with travel or equipment. I also believe the contract should have something spelled out about doctoring the herd and what point a vet is hired instead of the herdsman doing the doctoring, just like any other custom grazing contract would have in it.

Latest posts