Simangus or Baldy cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Lucky_P":2514ry7x said:
I'll bet I could find 100 Brangus in my own county; well, maybe not registered or purebred, but quite a few Brangus-influenced cattle.
There are quite a few folks up here breeding UltraBlacks, and some of the prettiest heifers I've seen in decades were a bunch of BeefmasterXAngus girls who went through the select bred heifer sale at Guthrie last fall - quite a few UltraBlacks in that sale, too.
Not sure that there's all that much discrimination against a little 'ear' at the local salebarns - and particularly not right now. I just don't think we'll be reintroducing any Brahman influence into our herd.

Lucky, I am born and bred Kentucky. Back four generations in my clan's lineage is Martha Boone, b. 1823, who married Christopher Grimes, b. 1827, of Ohio. Martha was a decendant of the Daniel Boone clan who settled here in Mason County. We consider Western Kentucky as part of the old south. My clan was divided during the civil war (not that long ago, my grandfather, Stanley Elmer Mitchell, was born August 23, 1890). Some went across the river and fought for the Union. Others went south and fought as rebels. In my Kentucky, we don't have any of those dam dog eared beasts. :yuck:

Oh, Lord, protect me from Branguscowgirl.

UK had a herd at their western farm under the management of Dr. Burris. They may have sold those brangus, but they were there the last time I was out there. Dr Burris worked hard on the temperament of those cattle.
CSM

Ron,
I grew up in UCLA (Upper Corner of Lower Alabama). Married an E-town girl, and ended up here in W.KY 20 years ago, after stints in southern Middle TN and mid-MO. Here this long, looks like I'm staying in the frigid northland ;>) Too many folks up there in the Golden Triangle don't even consider us to be part of the state over here - it's like, once you get past I-65, 'there be dragons', or something.
Several years back I was talking to a friend from Laurel Co., telling her we'd hired a colleague from Jackson Co. She said, "Oh, I never thought she'd leave Kentucky!" Well, there you go!

CSM, they've still got Brangus influence in the herd at the UK Ag. Exp. Station at Princeton. I get some of their animals here from time to time.

I grew up with Hereford & black baldy cattle (with some Jersey & Guernsey in the mix from my grandparents' dairy days). Convinced my dad & uncle to buy a halfblood Simbrah bull, back in about '82... sired the best calves we ever produced on that farm. I still love the 'eared' cattle - and Bloodhounds and Nubian goats - but don't know that I could ever convince or entice the farm manager(my wife) to let me use a Brahman-influenced bull. We worked on plenty of BM, Gerts, and Brahman-crossbreds back in the '80s, and don't have fond memories of a lot of 'em. But, if she'd seen those BMxAN heifers from over around Campbellsville that sold at Guthrie last fall...she might just change her tune... but for now, she's back on a Simmental kick, and it's OK with me.

I'm within 4 miles of the UK Ag. Exp. Station at Princeton. I get to see the cattle every time I go to town. Pretty much thought they were Purebred Angus, but thinking about it now seem like they do have a little ear on a few of them. Most of them are nice cattle. I catch myself driving through the farm looking at them from time to time. I would like to see them put a little Simmental out there. Still remember when they had Hereford Bulls there. The first bull I can remember on our farm came from there, a Polled Hereford we called Mark that my Grand Father purchased. Those Hereford babies were really cute, still miss them a bit.

I think plenty has been said about the Simmental positive influence when using a Simmental bull on those angus cows. I sure wish people like cowgirl would stop stereotyping the modern day simmental into her box of ideas of hard calvers. Full bloods, or Flecks, are what she remembers. Today's Simmental is not that. And just because it is registered (as she is always quick to point out) does not make it better. PHENOTYPE means more than a piece of paper mailed from an association.
The Simmental breed has done a fantastic job of setting goals for cattle that will excel at the feed bunk, on the rail, and in the pasture. They put a ton of effort into research, getting the breed to hit the grid with high marks. This starts at the top, with good seed stock producers putting bulls on test, submitting accurate data, and culling hard.
Not every Simmental is perfect, but it is YOUR job as a buyer to sort the good from the ugly, and I can tell you there are a ton of SUPER simmental breeders out there in every state that will help you improve your herd genetics by using a Simmental bull. And if you pay attention to your EPDs, I bet you won't have to touch a calf!

Fire Sweep Ranch":nxuts8bm said:
I think plenty has been said about the Simmental positive influence when using a Simmental bull on those angus cows. I sure wish people like cowgirl would stop stereotyping the modern day simmental into her box of ideas of hard calvers. Full bloods, or Flecks, are what she remembers. Today's Simmental is not that. And just because it is registered (as she is always quick to point out) does not make it better. PHENOTYPE means more than a piece of paper mailed from an association.
The Simmental breed has done a fantastic job of setting goals for cattle that will excel at the feed bunk, on the rail, and in the pasture. They put a ton of effort into research, getting the breed to hit the grid with high marks. This starts at the top, with good seed stock producers putting bulls on test, submitting accurate data, and culling hard.
Not every Simmental is perfect, but it is YOUR job as a buyer to sort the good from the ugly, and I can tell you there are a ton of SUPER simmental breeders out there in every state that will help you improve your herd genetics by using a Simmental bull. And if you pay attention to your EPDs, I bet you won't have to touch a calf!
:clap: Modern Simmentals and SimAngus are gaining popularity and they are slowly replacing Angus cattle. Many commercial operators has gone Simmi around here. Someone in our area starts to selling commercial simmental bulls.

Fire Sweep Ranch":dju263h9 said:

:clap: Glad you had a chance to see this. I knew you would make a thoughtful contribution. You are a bright lady. :banana:

I have 1 of the 100 brangus cows in Kentucky. Bred to a Hereford bull, she weans one of the heaviest calves and I have never been docked. I agree with lucky those beefmaster/Angus cross heifers are some of the best I have seen.

I agree with you on the beefmaster/ angus cross. I bought five beefmaster heifers two years ago. Their calves are outgrowing my angus calves by far. I just sold my simangus calves and they had outgrown the angus. I use an angus bull with my cows and have mostly black angus, Simmental, and simangus cows. I really like simangus, too. One day I will learn to post pictures. I enjoy the pictures that all of you post.

Latest posts