Simangus or Baldy cows

Help Support CattleToday:

farmer41

Reaction score
I'm in Kentucky and I'm trying to decide which bull to put with our black cows with the possibilty of keeping heifers. I know Baldy cows are extremely popular for various reasons but we have about 30 Simangus cows that seem to always raise the best calves, possible due to milking better. Which do you think makes the best mama cow? On the Baldy cow I guess I could put a Gelbeivh bull and on the Simangus probably a Hereford.

I put an angus bull with my simangus heifers and was well pleased with the growth rate of the calves. The simangus calves that I sold two weeks ago outdid the angus. They weighed more and brought more per pound. These were from first calf cows. These cows held up really well and gave a lot of milk. Apparently their milk tastes better. I had several angus calves that tried to suck these simangus cows.
These calves were born in December and January and went through one of the coldest and wettest winters that we have had in Middle GA.

farmer41":dy8s4nvl said:
I'm in Kentucky and I'm trying to decide which bull to put with our black cows with the possibilty of keeping heifers. I know Baldy cows are extremely popular for various reasons but we have about 30 Simangus cows that seem to always raise the best calves, possible due to milking better. Which do you think makes the best mama cow? On the Baldy cow I guess I could put a Gelbeivh bull and on the Simangus probably a Hereford.

Hey Farmer 41,

I would go back with an Simmental/SimAngus or Angus Bull. You can't go wrong with that combination
(Growth/Weight, Health, Docility,Keeper Heifers). I'm in Central Ky (I would offer to sell you a Registered
Simmental or Angus Bull but I can't keep them....customers are now wanting to buy 9-10 month old ones for
next year now) Crazy times in the Bull selling business...our whole industry. Good Luck

The best mama cow? I'll tell anyone who'll listen that Aubrac mama's are awesome (calving ease, maternal instincts, milk quality/quantity, etc) ... plus they flesh out well and the meat is excellent.

Thanks for the input but I may not have been real clear with my question. Which bull would you put on angus cows with plans on keeping heifers? A Simmental or Hereford?

farmer41":1h7l7qvw said:
Thanks for the input but I may not have been real clear with my question. Which bull would you put on angus cows with plans on keeping heifers? A Simmental or Hereford?

Given your goal of retaining heifers, I would put an Aubrac on them before either a Hereford or Simmental.

If you're only considering Hereford and Simmental, I would pick a specific bull more than a specific breed. What do your cows need ... AND ... which direction do you plan on taking those F1s?

All that said ... and without further info ... I'd be tempted to put a Simmental bull on your Angus cows and then come back with a Hereford on top of that.

farmer41":1vkik96z said:
I'm trying to decide which bull to put with our black cows with the possibilty of keeping heifers. we have about 30 Simangus cows that seem to always raise the best calves,

I'd put a Simangus bull on your Simangus cows.
They are raising your best calves and I would stick with F1 females for replacements rather than 3 way cross females.
Will the black cows mated to Simmental bull produce F1 Simangus?
If so, you already know what works best for you.

WalnutCrest":2v0laz04 said:
farmer41":2v0laz04 said:

Given your goal of retaining heifers, I would put an Aubrac on them before either a Hereford or Simmental.

If you're only considering Hereford and Simmental, I would pick a specific bull more than a specific breed. What do your cows need ... AND ... which direction do you plan on taking those F1s?

All that said ... and without further info ... I'd be tempted to put a Simmental bull on your Angus cows and then come back with a Hereford on top of that.

Now where the heck is a guy in Kentucky going to find an Aubrac bull?

I know that it is not one of the breeds mentioned, but Angus cows would cross really well with a Murray Grey bull. We have 3 of these crosses in our herd. They maintain excellent condition all year. As first calf heifers, they weaned calves that were over 600 lbs. They have plenty of milk, good udders, and great dispositions. The photo below is an 50% Angus and 50% Murray Grey cow with her 4 1/2 month old heifer.
IMG_1527_zps664dd3d3.jpg

Backbone Ranch":3jduoxqh said:
I know that it is not one of the breeds mentioned, but Angus cows would cross really well with a Murray Grey bull. We have 3 of these crosses in our herd. They maintain excellent condition all year. As first calf heifers, they weaned calves that were over 600 lbs. They have plenty of milk, good udders, and great dispositions. The photo below is an 50% Angus and 50% Murray Grey cow with her 4 1/2 month old heifer.
IMG_1527_zps664dd3d3.jpg

Is the sire to this calf a Murray as well? He's a nice 'un.

WalnutCrest":1u0fz38r said:
farmer41":1u0fz38r said:

I think Aubrac cattle should stay out of the commercial cattle business. They are a niche breed and I wouldn't put Aubrac bull on Angus cows for feeder calves if I don't want any Jersey markings on the calves. They are great cattle but they are so limited and extremely rare in United States. If your goal involving sell calves to the sale barn then stay away from Aubrac cattle.

As for the bulls, I would go with Simmental bull and the Sim x Angus cows makes a great momma cow and they will wean bigger calves.

farmer41":1v5n75jx said:
I'll answer your question....Hereford. Buyers will never tire of black baldies.. Give them what they want. I'd be leery of putting a sim bull on angus cows. You can go the other way around, but unless you want to pull some calves, stay away from sim bulls on smaller framed cows. We took it the other way, had old school sims and put angus on them. We now have big sim/angus cows. And, we are considering hereford this year when we buy some bulls for black baldy babies in the future...

cowgirl8":1v7fx3gd said:
farmer41":1v7fx3gd said:
I'll answer your question....Hereford. Buyers will never tire of black baldies.. Give them what they want. I'd be leery of putting a sim bull on angus cows. You can go the other way around, but unless you want to pull some calves, stay away from sim bulls on smaller framed cows. We took it the other way, had old school sims and put angus on them. We now have big sim/angus cows. And, we are considering hereford this year when we buy some bulls for black baldy babies in the future...
I believe the OP is talking about black simmentals, not your so-called "simmentals". Please dont label your cattle as a breed.....Black Simmentals and SimAngus have better calving ease than Flecks simmentals and lot folks used Simmental and SimAngus bulls on their Angus cows AND heifers around here and they rarely pulled a calf. Black Simmentals and SimAngus are mighty popular here and I am planning to add some black Simmental genetics on our herd.

As for you, cowgirl8 just stay away from herefords you don't need more breeds to farther the mongrelization in your herd.

farmer41":g2b56jya said:

Help some folks out.

cowgirl8":29n4eo82 said:
farmer41":29n4eo82 said:

cowgirl8, don't take this as personal knowledge because I don't personally know. I will offer this to you and the original poster. Rocking P produces simangus commerial heifers that "literally" are in demand all over the United States. They send contract tractor and trailer loads of heifers and bulls to Montana every year. The Phillips family has a national reputation. Chan Phillips is one of the top cattle judges in the show industry. He has consulted for Hudson Pine and is now on consultion contract to Circle M in Texas. I know they produce many of their Simangus bulls and heifers by putting Simmental bulls on a very elite herd of angus cattle that the Father Larry Phillips has been breeding for many many years. I think the point you may be missing is that today's simmental bulls are much more CE than you credited them.
http://www.rockingplivestock.com/

I've been really happy with my hereford bulls over angus based cows. That would be my choice,especially if you already have some sim in the cows. Then in the future you can go back and forth with simangus and hereford and keep tons of heterosis in a simple two way cross.

We have sim/angus.....We use sim/angus bulls, registered ones. We do not put them on smaller cows. The point in adding sim is to make them bigger. But to get what we have, we went sim cows with a angus bulls to get sim/angus.......Its just how we did it and our personal preference..
In saying that, my opinion is still i'd go with hereford. If you can find a black hereford bull, even better.

cowgirl8":39xmktrb said:
We have sim/angus.....We use sim/angus bulls, registered ones. We do not put them on smaller cows. The point in adding sim is to make them bigger. But to get what we have, we went sim cows with a angus bulls to get sim/angus.......Its just how we did it and our personal preference..
In saying that, my opinion is still i'd go with hereford. If you can find a black hereford bull, even better.

You really are here just to yank people's chains aren't you?

inyati13":13u2psll said:
cowgirl8":13u2psll said:
farmer41":13u2psll said:

cowgirl8, don't take this as personal knowledge because I don't personally know. I will offer this to you and the original poster. Rocking P produces simangus commerial heifers that "literally" are in demand all over the United States. They send contract tractor and trailer loads of heifers and bulls to Montana every year. The Phillips family has a national reputation. Chan Phillips is one of the top cattle judges in the show industry. He has consulted for Hudson Pine and is now on consultion contract to Circle M in Texas. I know they produce many of their Simangus bulls and heifers by putting Simmental bulls on a very elite herd of angus cattle that the Father Larry Phillips has been breeding for many many years. I think the point you may be missing is that today's simmental bulls are much more CE than you credited them.
http://www.rockingplivestock.com/

Farmer 41,

I agree with Ron, call the Phillips and get a Simmental or Simangus bull from them. They have elite Simmental genetics
and are good people in your own State of Kentucky

TennesseeTuxedo":352my6ua said:
cowgirl8":352my6ua said:

You really are here just to yank people's chains aren't you?
If a black sim is ok, then why isnt a black hereford?

Latest posts