Show your bull(s) - Put a pic up

Help Support CattleToday:

Got a new picture last night of our yearling bull we're turning out later this month as our next herd bull. Posted him a few pages back in this thread but finally got him on a grass lot where he could pose for a better picture

84B_zpstqzlmejy.jpg

Thanks for the feedback, I have been pleased how he has come back once we got him back on feed. After I had worked him up to eating grain well I spoke with my local performance feed dealer. He recommended 25lb per day of his 16% feed for three weeks. After that evaluate and see if he has improved. Three weeks will be up the end of this week and I've seen enough improvement to want to continue. I wonder if 25lb is enough or should I up it a bit more? He also has a roll of my best hay and he seems to be eating that fairly well.

As I said before I have this bull and another young bull. The plan is to turn this bull out for a month or so while still feeding him and then bring him home and turn out the younger bull to run with the cows until fall. This particular herd only has 23 cows in it.

Toad":26hoiasc said:
As I said before I have this bull and another young bull. The plan is to turn this bull out for a month or so while still feeding him and then bring him home and turn out the younger bull to run with the cows until fall. This particular herd only has 23 cows in it.

Toad you talking about the bull purchased at the bull sale in april ?

That's like a night and day difference. But that's what can happen when your willing to learn and listen. Good job Toad.

dieselbeef":vrpwz5s2 said:
sph that bull is a yr old? wow..we cant grow em like that here

Yeah he was born 2/22/2014 so he's not quite 15 months old now. Possibly the thickest bull we've bred and his dam is probably our best cow so hoping he passes on some of that thickness and maternal traits to his offspring. His ribeye scanned 14.7 in early April and scrotal was 39, the only bit of yearling data we were a little disappointed in was he only framed a 5.0. Hopefully he grows his frame out a little more as a yearling, would have liked him closer to a 6 frame.

We have a nice looking bull calf in this year's calf crop out of SHF York that looks promising so we're curious to see how he grows. Hopefully will get a good picture of him this summer in the pasture, everything I have of him right now he hasn't been posed very well

skyhightree1":vvqz6vns said:
Toad":vvqz6vns said:

Toad you talking about the bull purchased at the bull sale in april ?
Yes my buddy bought a bull at the sale in March.

Just got the Zoetis PF50 K DNA genetic profile back on the little Cedar Cut bull we raised that we will keep and use some this year... No real surprises altho I was really happy to see on the Tenderness rating of 1-100 where 1 is best and 100 worst- he rated a 16 which is the lowest on any bull I have had tested... (Should make for some tender steaks if this genetic profiling has any validity.. :?: )

L B B Cedar Cut B1 #17964615 is a Three Trees Prime Cut 0145 son out of a Lazy Bar B Old Gabe daughter... His maternal grandmother Cole Creek Juanadamere 5U is one of our best cows and altho she is smaller framed and never has weighed 1100 lbs brings in one of the biggest calves every year... And in talking with John Dockweiller in Nebraska, her mother Cole Creek Juanadamere 102R, is one of his best cows..
He had a 75 lb. BW and a 675 lb WW...

Another picture of Cedar Cut flanked by the old bull Trackrunner...

Lazy Bar B Trackrunner #17506127 sired by an OCC Magnitude son out of a Cole Creek Track Hunter 60R daughter.. We sold this bull as a yearling and then bought him back last year after we saw the performance his dam W C R Floret 749T #15802668 was doing...He had a BW of 83 and WW of 675 and has matured to be a very moderate sized bull... We used him on about a dozen heifers and a few old cows last year- and he seems to have plenty of calving ease...
Incidentally, he ranked 33 on the PF50 K test for tenderness amongst the angus breed, which isn't too shabby, especially when you figure that angus is supposed to be the tenderness breed anyway...

Latest posts