Show your bull(s) - Put a pic up

Help Support CattleToday:

Haha no this guy was fat until we had all the issues. I need to dig up a before picture to go with the after picture. He will come back around I hope. He wouldn't eat much back when he had the abscess and so we have some catching up to do. I've got a backup plan if he doesn't fill back out.

Some of you may have missed my posts a few months ago of the problems he had. How do you feel about using a bull that has had an abscess hoof? The vet told me it was just an injury and shouldn't be hereditary but I would love to hear others opinions. And yes he will get filled back out before he gets turned out.

Toad":kelwv5hs said:
Haha no this guy was fat until we had all the issues. I need to dig up a before picture to go with the after picture. He will come back around I hope. He wouldn't eat much back when he had the abscess and so we have some catching up to do. I've got a backup plan if he doesn't fill back out.

Toad with him being that thin his sperm count could be below acceptable levels. Better have him checked before you turn him out.

I will 3waycross, he has just started acting alright in the last few weeks. How long on feed would you think it will take for me to get him back and how much would you recommend per day? I posted to get advice and I'm not going to be thin skinned about it. Shoot me straight

Well when you get him back in tip top shape, you need to give Sky first shot at him. As long as he doesn't mistake your bull for a truck you should do well.

highgrit":2zvvlz4q said:
Well when you get him back in tip top shape, you need to give Sky first shot at him. As long as he doesn't mistake your bull for a truck you should do well.

Hey now :shock:

Toads - before
IMG950060_zpsa9bc243d.jpg

branguscowgirl":20pkkwhr said:
Toad":20pkkwhr said:
Yea thats him before we had the foot issue. thanks sky
Boy he sure did take a beating over it Toad. Hope he does better now.
In the last couple weeks I guess he is finally feeling a lot better, finally not limping and is acting like a bull again. Any suggestions on what to feed and how much? I've never really had to deal with getting a bull back in shape and could really use the advice.

When you have them go off feed like that, it helps to put the powder probios on their grain. It helps the gut and greatly increases their appetite. You can even do that now while you are working him back up on some grain.
I would say any kind of good grain that you have available, but work him up slowly as to not cause gut and founder problems.
Here I only have access to bag feed. So I would go with a weight builder of some kind. But gradual with the probios and all the hay he wants.

greybeard":23gs6kbf said:
ricebeltrancher":23gs6kbf said:
We tried hand feeding for a couple of years, but got a sour taste in our mouths after we lost 2 bulls in a week to different, but definitely feed related issues. They were getting about 2-2.25% of their bodyweight a day, plus hay and grass, and were doing around 2-3#/day.

Could you expound on that underlined part a little please?
Bloat--acidosis?
(I hate learning from other people's misfortune, but I have found it's a lot less expensive for me)

The first was some kind of blockage, not bloat. We probably could have saved him if we'd known to use a LOT more mineral oil than we actually did. The second was the oldest bull in the group. Pushed everybody off and overate. He was dead within a few hours after we fed them, big as a whale. Rumen was 5.4ish acidity. We decided the risk was too high to worry about saving a few pennies on feed. It's nice, not going out twice a day to feed, and knowing that they are eating just as much as they need to.

branguscowgirl":o4fa6lrv said:
When you have them go off feed like that, it helps to put the powder probios on their grain. It helps the gut and greatly increases their appetite. You can even do that now while you are working him back up on some grain.
I would say any kind of good grain that you have available, but work him up slowly as to not cause gut and founder problems.
Here I only have access to bag feed. So I would go with a weight builder of some kind. But gradual with the probios and all the hay he wants.
Thats great advice, I hadn't thought about the probios. I will certainly try that and see if that doesn't get him going.

Latest posts