Shorthorn Bull-Ronan

Help Support CattleToday:

I don't think you will get many takers for a shorthorn bull here unfortunately, hopefully I'm wrong. Are you having doubts about the quality of the semen?

Ken

What do calves look like out of a shorthorn bull over black cows?

What color is this shorthorn u speak of?
My guess - topstock is referring to JSF Ronan 5H #4314080. That bull is roan colored. Bred to black cows should produce blue roan colored calves.

I don't think you will get many takers for a shorthorn bull here unfortunately, hopefully I'm wrong. Are you having doubts about the quality of the semen?

Ken
Yes. I ordered 10 straws. We used cidrs on our cows, followed typical protocol- hope im not jumping the gun but so far any repeats were bred to him. Ive only got 3 straws left and was really hoping for some calves out of him.

From what I have been told, a blue or red roan is only carrying 1 roan gene. So, you have a 50/50 chance of getting a roan calf. I was also told a WHITE Shorthorn is carrying 2 roan genes, so all offspring should get the roan gene.

Comments I have gathered on the subject:
"Roan cattle cannot "breed true" but breeding white cattle to a solid mate will always yield a roan calf. The white color typical of Charolais and White Park breeds is not related to roan. Roan in Shorthorns and Belgian Blues is controlled by the mast cell growth factor (MGF) gene, also called the steel locus, on bovine chromosome 5. Part of the KIT ligand, this region is involved in many cell differentiation processes."

"The only sure fire way to get roan is to breed a solid red or black cow to a white shorthorn.
A roan bred to a roan will give you 50% roan -25% white -25% solid color.
A roan bred to a solid color will give 50% roan and 50% solid color.
A roan bred to a white will give 50% roan and 50% white."

Oh, and the reason I have gathered this info, I actually LOVE blue roan cattle, sooooo - I finally bought 2 units of a white Shorthorn bull, and I have a confirmed pregnancy to a solid black cow.
This is NOT like me. I never breed for percentage cattle.
Blue roans have been hot on the prairies for a few years. Several I have seen have been out of purebred Simmental dams and bulls or heifers bring more than they are worth most times for breeding stock

I have ALWAYS loved a blue roan. Heck, I've had Blue Heelers for over 50 years. I aught to have a blue bovine. If it's a male, it will be a hot item to sell....bull or steer. If it's a female, I'll keep it.

Latest posts