Seventh horse dies at Churchill Downs

Help Support CattleToday:

9th dead horse
Havanmeltdown trained by Bobby Baffert stumbled in the 3rd turn throwing the jockey and continued to trot on.
Jockey Luis Saez was taken to the hospital and Hav-an- a-melt-down was euthanized on the track.
Saez was scheduled to ride First Mission before being scratched yesterday - guess now they'll both miss the race.
What a way to start Preakness Day at Pimlico race track for Baffert totally changed the mood and no way I touch his #1 horse.

Last edited:
Well Baffert did it and broke the tie at 7 and now holds the record with 8 Preakness career wins.
I was pulling for #7 Blazing Sevens to catch him, but it was not to be.
1 National Treasure 7.80 win 4.00 place 2.60 show
2 Blazing Sevens 5.00 place 2.80 show
3 Mage 2.40 show
4 Red Route One

$2 superfecta picking exact order of the top 4 paid 144.80

Last edited:
Seems like an awful lot of problems lately,
Has it been that way for a while or a fairly new development?
If it's a recent thing, then maybe the phenotype that they are breeding for is causing it, kind of like breeding cattle for particular traits that don't always help with other traits.

I know almost nothing about horses but the Pony Express riders and horses ran 10 miles. Why can't these run 1/4 miles
The Pony Express ponies averaged about 10 mph.. The Thoroughbreds that are being raced are running about 35-40 mph. The Thoroughbred could run the 10 miles, if the rider paced them properly.
I am not sure many people would sit through a ten mile race.

I know almost nothing about horses but the Pony Express riders and horses ran 10 miles. Why can't these run 1/4 miles
The horses used by the PE were loping... not at a flat out run. But what gets me is that the thoroughbreds are running on prepared and relatively soft surfaces... and horses are often run outside of racing on some very questionable ground and they don't injure themselves nearly as often. Why is that? Are race horses more fragile? I doubt it. I've seen thoroughbreds raised outside of racing and they don't break down. They are just like other horses. I wonder if the horses babied on soft dirt tracks don't develop tough bones? I got no clue... Just wondering...

Seems like an awful lot of problems lately,
Has it been that way for a while or a fairly new development?
If it's a recent thing, then maybe the phenotype that they are breeding for is causing it, kind of like breeding cattle for particular traits that don't always help with other traits.
No. It is like everything else these days, more people just hear about it and hear about it sooner in todays; social media enviroment. The TB has been bred for 500 years, and it has been nearly perfected. Today's rimes are not much, if any, faster than times 20, 50, or 100 or more years ago.

The horses used by the PE were loping... not at a flat out run. But what gets me is that the thoroughbreds are running on prepared and relatively soft surfaces... and horses are often run outside of racing on some very questionable ground and they don't injure themselves nearly as often. Why is that? Are race horses more fragile? I doubt it. I've seen thoroughbreds raised outside of racing and they don't break down. They are just like other horses. I wonder if the horses babied on soft dirt tracks don't develop tough bones? I got no clue... Just wondering...
No. PE horses were walked, trotted and run, alternating gaits about every mile. Just as we do in 50 and 100 mile endurance races today. Probably rode a little more distance at the trot than run or walk. Trot is the easiest gait on the horse, and really eats up the miles.

Last edited:
The reason is no one is running 2 and 3 year olds outside of racing.

Many retired race horses, many with injuries from racing have successfull careers as Eventing horses where cross country courses can be pretty long distances jumping obstacles, fallen timber, water jumps etc . Also show jumping.
Racehorses are trained to run a more explosive race, being boxed for most of the day, brought out each morning for track work and maybe a walk on a walking machine for half an hour of an afternoon or a walk around the stable streets.

Ken

And the with saddle and gear weighing more than a jockey today!!
Preakness weight carried has always been the same through the years 126 lbs and 121 lbs for fillies (5 lb allowance)
Saddle and gear is about 7 pounds. 3 yr olds and up females typically are allowed 3 lbs less than the rest of the field.
Allowance races, racing secretary assigns weights to handicap the race.
In a claiming race, claiming a horse with a 2 lb allowance = 5% discount ie 10k claimer = pay 9,500 for a horse carrying 2 lbs less
IF a horse is claimed, it's yours out the gate, good or bad, you're the owner if any injury occurs and you're the owner who receives the purse if your horse wins.

Last edited:
Right or wrong I believe the issues that plague thoroughbred horses today are purely manmade. We breed for one thing only, speed. The rest of the horse is overlooked in the name of speed. When horses were wild the strong survived, sound, healthy animals. The almighty dollar has made more problems for these athletes than anything else. My assumption is the reason you see so many 2 and 3 year olds is the purses are substantially higher. I hate to say it but even though the organizations are trying to look out for the animals and doing damage control for the racing industry, some trainers and owners only care about the winning. There are horses that test positive for drugs quite a bit. You only hear about a small fraction of them, I highly doubt a horse goes and takes a needle to administer it's own cocaine fix. Personally the fines are to small for positive test results, that's why trainers keep dong it.

Right or wrong I believe the issues that plague thoroughbred horses today are purely manmade. We breed for one thing only, speed. The rest of the horse is overlooked in the name of speed. When horses were wild the strong survived, sound, healthy animals. The almighty dollar has made more problems for these athletes than anything else. My assumption is the reason you see so many 2 and 3 year olds is the purses are substantially higher. I hate to say it but even though the organizations are trying to look out for the animals and doing damage control for the racing industry, some trainers and owners only care about the winning. There are horses that test positive for drugs quite a bit. You only hear about a small fraction of them, I highly doubt a horse goes and takes a needle to administer it's own cocaine fix. Personally the fines are to small for positive test results, that's why trainers keep dong it.
Racing TBs have always been bred for speed, and there are no more injuries to 2 and 3 yr olds today than there was in 1923. It is the age thing that causes the injuries. Racing 2 and 3 yr old QHs have the same injuries. 10 yr old head, heel and tie-down QHs don't.

The Pony Express ponies averaged about 10 mph.. The Thoroughbreds that are being raced are running about 35-40 mph. The Thoroughbred could run the 10 miles, if the rider paced them properly. I am not sure many people would sit through a ten mile race.
Kentucky Derby 1.25 miles record 1:59.40 by Secretariat; 2 minutes = 37.5 mph

Most Steeplechases are 6.9 km or 4 miles 510 yards usually 9-10 minutes record 8:56
over 7,000 worldwide with more than 1/2 in Ireland and the United Kingdom.
The Grand National is 'thee' race to be seen at in England and is about 30 years older than the Kentucky Derby.
The American Grand National is 2 5/8 miles and run in New Jersey.

Marathon races 26.22 miles over 100k people finish a marathon yearly, world record 2:01:39 in Berlin = 4:38 minutes per mile
12 mph = 5 minutes per mile = 2:11:10
10 mph = 6 min per mile = 2:37:32
7 minutes per mile = 3:03:54
6 mph = 10 min per mile = 4:22:20
5 mph = 12 minutes per mile = 5:15:04

Last edited:
Well Baffert did it and broke the tie at 7 and now holds the record with 8 Preakness career wins.
I was pulling for #7 Blazing Sevens to catch him, but it was not to be.
1 National Treasure 7.80 win 4.00 place 2.60 show
2 Blazing Sevens 5.00 place 2.80 show
3 Mage 2.40 show
4 Red Route One

$2 superfecta picking exact order of the top 4 paid 144.80
I almost bet that exact trifecta,!!! But instead, I bet those 3 all to show. Told ya that Braffert would be in there!

Latest posts