Cow jumps fence at the salebarn

Help Support CattleToday:

farmwife1

Reaction score
Just got a phone call one of my cows jumped the fence at the sale barn and got out. They have not caught her yet. I have never had that happen before. What is the normal procedure here? Am I responsible or is the barn? Will I get billed for her getting out or will they pay me the average price since they lost her?

Wow! Sounds like fence troubles or maybe she ran through an open gate. Probably some serious negligence there.
I don't think you would be liable. Do you have farm liability insurance?

Just got a phone call one of my cows jumped the fence at the sale barn and got out. They have not caught her yet. I have never had that happen before. What is the normal procedure here? Am I responsible or is the barn? Will I get billed for her getting out or will they pay me the average price since they lost her?
Their insurance is liable.
You get insurance deducted from your check every time you sell cattle. Usually a dollar or two a head. That insurance should start coverage either when you pull onto their property or when your cattle step off the trailer.

How'd you get your fence jumper contained so you could get her into the trailer? Rope her down? Did she clear the fence on the first leap out of the trailer, or did she get to plant her feet on their property first?

How'd you get your fence jumper contained so you could get her into the trailer? Rope her down? Did she clear the fence on the first leap out of the trailer, or did she get to plant her feet on their property first?
She loaded fine-walked right in. Was hand raised, so gentle with us. But, she has never been in a trailer before, so that probably got her excited.

She loaded fine-walked right in. Was hand raised, so gentle with us. But, she has never been in a trailer before, so that probably got her excited.
It's not always the crazy one that jumps out. Over the years I have had 3 jump out. 2 were easily gotten back. The 3rd one was an idiot afterwards. He finally got with some cattle and we caught him months later.
Whether they charge you an insurance fee or not once it is in their possession they are responsible.

Wow! Sounds like fence troubles or maybe she ran through an open gate. Probably some serious negligence there.
I don't think you would be liable. Do you have farm liability insurance?
We do have farm insurance. Never had to use it before though.

Latest posts