'Self-inflicted' health conditions

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard said:
herofan said:
bird dog said:
So I am all about living life while you feel like living. So hand me another beer and a cigar. I need something to wash down these Doritos.

That could backfire and make you just unhealthy enough that you still live to be 100, but the last thirty years of it is hospitals, procedures, and nursing homes. Reminds me of that saying, "if I'd only known I was going to live this long, I might have taken better care of
myself."

The same could be said of anyone. Not a single person here can predict with any accuracy that they will or won't have a debilitating stroke, develop Alzheimer, have an auto or farm accident that leaves them like the Superman actor that fell off a horse at age 43 and spent the last 9 years of his life as a quadriplegic.

It's not how long one lives. it's how much one lives.
Everyone talks about 'quality of life' when discussing someone's end days, but in our everyday lives, at what point, are you giving up so much just to keep breathing in and out every day that we are no longer actually living life..the life WE want and enjoy?
If I have to give up most of the things I really enjoy in life just to add a few more 'healthy' years to it, that's not living IMO, and I'll pass.

Absolutely correct. One never knows what life holds regardless of how you live. My comments were a little tongue-in-cheek anyway. Accidents can happen. I don't drink or smoke, so that's not a joy that I feel like I'm missing. I don't have a lot of unhealthy habits that I know of. I'm actually trying to eat healthier in the last couple of years. I guess that mean I don't eat whatever whenever, but I actually feel better, and by blood pressure has went from being a bit high to averaging around 115/75, and I've also lost that ugly man-gut. I also agree that we need to enjoy life in our everyday lives and not worry so much about when we're old. That's why I've always tried to have balance in my life with what I do and not spend it all chasing a dollar thinking I'll slow down when I retire. I try to enjoy myself as I go.

The capacity to live a happy, rewarding life depends on environment and inheritable traits.

One could possess the best genome in the world but if you are raised in a crappy household and neighborhood, it will taint the most promising genome the world has ever witnessed.

On the other hand, one that is raised in a wonderful environment with first class parenting, may suffer from inheritable defects that lead to depression or other maladies. The failure of the body to produce adequate serotonin can wreck anyone.

But some folks have neither of those excuses, they simply choose to practice behavior that amounts to sitting around poking an ice pick in their face.

Bright Raven said:
On the other hand, one that is raised in a wonderful environment with first classBut some folks have neither of those excuses, they simply choose to practice behavior that amounts to sitting around poking an ice pick in their face.

That's true. I'm sure I have all kinds of negatives, but I try not to do things that are obvious that could be easily avoided. It's similar to when someone says they don't do something because they think it's a sin, and people will respond with, "but we all sin everyday." I believe that is true, but I don't need to add to the pot with something blatantly obvious that I can easily refrain from.

Latest posts