Summer weather predictions

Help Support CattleToday:

Looks like we gonna be hot and wet. Great for growing bermuda hay, and have had summers like this that I could get 5 cuttings IF we got a 4-5 day break in the rain every 3 or 4 weeks. Like I mentioned on my "update" thread while ago, we gonna sow 100 acres of bermuda and bahia this week, and hot and wet will really help that take off. So far the last 2 weeks, though, we have had a lot of below normal temps. Some days even cold, actually.

Last edited:
Kenny I don't know about temperatures but rainfall I'm at 25" in three weeks.
Got another 10" Monday.
All the fences I just finished repairing need to be worked on again from debris.
I have given up on fertilizer no way to pull the fertilizer buggy without tearing up more than its worth.
I am making ruts with the 25 Kubota forget the big tractors.
Supposed to start raining again Thursday through Saturday.
I would rather have wet than drought were flooding.

Kenny I don't know about temperatures but rainfall I'm at 25" in three weeks.
Got another 10" Monday.
All the fences I just finished repairing need to be worked on again from debris.
I have given up on fertilizer no way to pull the fertilizer buggy without tearing up more than its worth.
I am making ruts with the 25 Kubota forget the big tractors.
Supposed to start raining again Thursday through Saturday.
I would rather have wet than drought were flooding.
Guess thats too much of a good thing. We have been very dry and windy.

El Nino is usually bad for us. Dry hot summers. Looking kind of sorry this spring after record rainfall last spring. We only need an inch or two in next couple weeks to turn it around and have a strong grass crop.

We are very dry up north of @kenny thomas in the Shenandoah valley too... got a 10-15 minute sprinkle this evening, but radar doesn't show any more... Record high yesterday, and the wind has been constant... too dry for this early....

That looks bsd.
IMG_3300.jpeg
My bottom pasture, no way to my back pasture by any route.
This is a first, I never had a hurricane or tropical storm that I couldn't get to that pasture.
Creeks have to plugged with debris from the drought .
Had 57" in Harvey and didn't flood.

My sisters got 5" last night in San Jacinto County, with hail.

The East Fork river had just returned down yesterday morning. I'm guessing it will start back up now. Lake Livingston is letting out a lot of water and Trinity bottom's from dam to Liberty flooded. Livingston and Conroe dams are both releasing massive amounts of water.
The East Fork San Jacinto expected rise next few days:

efork5-2-24.jpg

Today's news report:

MONTGOMERY COUNTY, Texas (KTRK) -- Officials are warning residents south of Lake Conroe Dam near the San Jacinto River that they should prepare for significant flooding due to a release of water from the lake to account for ongoing heavy rain.

Walker and northern Montgomery counties saw rainfall totals as high as 16 inches overnight.

That, coupled with already saturated grounds, is causing the San Jacinto River Authority to release 13,400 cubic feet per second (CFS) from Lake Conroe. Officials predict that amount will have to increase due to the amount of water the lake is receiving.

"This is going to cause significant flooding to areas south of Lake Conroe. Montgomery County Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Management (MCOHSEM) is working with the San Jacinto River Authority to understand the effects of these releases downstream," the county said in a statement.

"(The San Jacinto River Authority) will start gradually seeing it as it builds up because the River Authority was releasing at slower increments, and then they kept increasing the releases as their model forecasts was showing that they were having far more water inflow into the lake than they are releasing," he said. "As the lake level rises, they have to raise the gates. Otherwise, you have an uncontrolled release and it's a very dangerous situation for everybody. And so it's an unfortunate thing when you have 17 inches of rain overnight in the northern watersheds that already had 10 inches of rain two days earlier. That's, added up, almost Harvey-level amount of rainfall."

The Lake Conroe area is not the only place bracing for more flooding.

Lake Livingston is now releasing more water than what was released earlier this week, Chief Meteorologist Travis Herzog said.

According to a post from Lake Livingston Dam, the release is 100,600 CFS as of Thursday. The number during Hurricane Harvey was 110,600.

Well, that changed quickly............

livingston.jpglivingston.jpg

Last edited:
Condolences on the flooding. But I appeciate pictures, its quite a mess. Water buffalo weather.

After a wet winter its dried out here in the Shenandoah Valley.

Friend said her sister lives near that area... she is right across from McDade park in Montgomery county. The water got up to 7 steps down from the 2ND FLOOR before she allowed them to take her and her 2 dogs out of the house... Everything is underwater there... She just got her house fixed the end of FEB from the last time.... The friend used to live in Livingston, said never in her life had it ever been that bad...Whole downtown is under water....

Totally ridiculous.... wish we could get a couple of inches of it up this way... don't want it all by any means, but a small slice off the edge of one of those storms would be helpful.
It is supposed to get here on Sat/Sun but much less than what you all have seen... Maybe an inch or so. We are actually getting close to the abnormally dry classification.... a little scary for it to be soo dry this time of year.

I feel so bad for all of you down there that are seeing this extreme weather/rain....

Hope everyone's animals can get to higher ground. I remember when @greybeard had all that flooding and they couldn't get to cows for days that were stranded on little islands of "higher ground" and that many were lost to the flooding.

Friend said her sister lives near that area... she is right across from McDade park in Montgomery county. The water got up to 7 steps down from the 2ND FLOOR before she allowed them to take her and her 2 dogs out of the house... Everything is underwater there... She just got her house fixed the end of FEB from the last time.... The friend used to live in Livingston, said never in her life had it ever been that bad...Whole downtown is under water....

Totally ridiculous.... wish we could get a couple of inches of it up this way... don't want it all by any means, but a small slice off the edge of one of those storms would be helpful.
It is supposed to get here on Sat/Sun but much less than what you all have seen... Maybe an inch or so. We are actually getting close to the abnormally dry classification.... a little scary for it to be soo dry this time of year.

I feel so bad for all of you down there that are seeing this extreme weather/rain....
McDade is right along the river. I feel for her…

Latest posts