End of spring/beginning of summer

Help Support CattleToday:

We've had cool evenings that are saving the corn. Their talking 90s for most of the week.
First cutting hay was about half of normal. The alfalfa is coming back but the orchid grass isn't.
Probably have to start hauling water to pastures this week.
Sounds like you're way worse than us. I haven't had to haul water since 18 if I remember correctly, but bright side is I dipped a couple ponds that year. That's one of the only things a drought is good for.

QUOTE="SBMF 2015, post: 1808412, member: 39695"]
For roughly how many cattle?
[/QUOTE]
Only 16 cows. I truck about 50 gallons a couple times a day with buckets to the rotation pastures to fill the tanks

QUOTE="SBMF 2015, post: 1808412, member: 39695"]
For roughly how many cattle?
Only 16 cows. I truck about 50 gallons a couple times a day with buckets to the rotation pastures to fill the tanks
[/QUOTE]
That sounds like a LOT of work.
16 cows depending on temperature and lactation should/would/could be drinking 160-320gals a day. Why not get a 350gal tank for a pickup truck?

On Tuesday (the last day of spring) it was 33 degrees here in the morning. Clearly a sign of climate change. It is the beginning of a new ice age.
We have been pinging 100f plus on a daily basis for almost 2 weeks.

We hit 90's the last couple days finally and still dry. Not much chance for rain in the forecast. Crops look really good considering the lack of rain but that won't last much longer.
I have noticed this week that corn and soybeans are much higher. Each dry day will add to that.

We have been very cool here also... and until this week were very dry. In this area most have gotten 3-5 inches and most of it has been good rain, soaking, off and on rains. Couple places a little north got some downpours, but here in the southern part of the Shen valley we have gotten good soaking rain. It was getting worrisome.. we went over 22 days with not a drop. Not normal for here. The saving grace was cooler temps, but the humidity was also very low.
Big switch this week, rain/showers everyday since last Monday afternoon, and much higher humidity. We have not hit 90 yet this month, and most days are in the 70's and very low 80's. The corn on the dairy farms is looking 100% better this week... many were already irrigating due to the dry weather before this. Not common to see irrigating in mid-june...

Latest posts