Summer Sausage

Help Support CattleToday:

CowboyRam

Reaction score
Made some beef summer sausage the other day. It turned ok, but is a bit dry; maybe I should have added some fat. Dad thinks it a little to spicy, but he does not like anything spicy so a little bit of pepper would be to spicy for him.

I smoke half of it with Cherry Rum pellets, and the other half with Apple pellets. I have not tried the Apple smoked yet.

I think for elk (or lean beef) you need 30% fatty pork to be right.

Where's that butcher fella from 10 years. Charles Bronson avatar if I remember correctly.
Ya, I think I should have added some fat. I guess next time I will make sure I have more fat with the meat. This was my first attempt.

What is the temp on the smoker set at? I like to use around 30% when it comes to fat and summer sausage. But, too high of a temp will render the fat as well.

We only use fruit woods for birds/poultry. We use nut woods or mesquite for beef and such. But this is Texas and we are set in our ways. Just seems strange you would use apple an cherry on beef.

What is the temp on the smoker set at? I like to use around 30% when it comes to fat and summer sausage. But, too high of a temp will render the fat as well.
I started as low as my smoker would go, about 180 degrees and then turned it up to 200 after about four hours. This was my first attempt. Next time I am going to add more fat.

I started as low as my smoker would go, about 180 degrees and then turned it up to 200 after about four hours. This was my first attempt. Next time I am going to add more fat.

That's pretty high for making sausage. Anytime I would go over 160 I started having fat rendering.

180 is the lowest my pellet smoker will go.
The pellet smoker just doesn't do what I like. After all these years its a hard adjustment. But the one the kids bought me is a pellet smoker on one side and a grill on the other. I find myself using the grill side with the damper open between the two. Open the vent on the grill stack slightly and use that to regulate. Use the temp gauges on the grill side.

With things like brisket I am at the point where it is already cooked. It had plenty of smoke long ago. Now it is just seal up in foil and with the render flowing thru to get everything moist. The grill side works for this.

Latest posts