End of spring/beginning of summer

Help Support CattleToday:

Locust?
The older people here always said that a when the the locust trees were bloomed out heavy it was going to be a good crop year. I've noticed this year the locusts aren't bloomed out as heavy as last year or the year before. Kind of worried about that, as we've some pretty good grazing years for the most part.

Catalpa or as we say it catalfee. They will be completely white in a few more days.
If a storm knocks the blooms off it's a sign of sufficient rain for the summer. If they fall off on their own it will be a drought.

Locust trees have done bloomed out, maybe 2-3 weeks ago. They were full here.
Thanks, I was thinking if those were locusts that ours were a few weeks ahead of them. Sometimes the thickets are white here with the locusts blooming but didn't see it as prominently this time around. The older folks here always regarded the locusts as the last to bloom, maybe they meant the last major bloom, as we have catalpa trees but not as plentiful as locusts.
We had a feller that worked for us several years ago that had a unique way pronunciation to say the least he called them talcum trees, He was alway talking about getting the talcum worms off of the trees to fish with.

Old timers put ee on the end of most words that end in a. So dee, Pete see and so on. It's dying out though tv has made younger people all sound the same.

Thanks, I was thinking if those were locusts that ours were a few weeks ahead of them. Sometimes the thickets are white here with the locusts blooming but didn't see it as prominently this time around. The older folks here always regarded the locusts as the last to bloom, maybe they meant the last major bloom, as we have catalpa trees but not as plentiful as locusts.
We had a feller that worked for us several years ago that had a unique way pronunciation to say the least he called them talcum trees, He was alway talking about getting the talcum worms off of the trees to fish with.

They're often pronounced as 'catawba' trees over in East Texas.
I saw quite a few of them but never saw a single catawba worm on any of them. Had to buy them frozen if you wanted 'em and they weren't cheap.
We don't see as many of the worms as we used to. They are a fat juicy nasty looking booger.

Old timers used to want to cook chowder under a catalpa tree so the worms would fall in the kettle. None for me thanks.

We do not have catalpas with the exception of a few in yards, in town. Our locust bloom was light and ended about ten days ago.
Yellow Poplars are in full bloom right now.
Paw Paws and Persimmons have yet to bloom here.
It always amazes me how the bloom sequence repeats year after year, in the same order. It is almost like it was engineered.
Miracles abound if we open our eyes.

Catalpa or as we say it catalfee. They will be completely white in a few more days.
If a storm knocks the blooms off it's a sign of sufficient rain for the summer. If they fall off on their own it will be a drought.

Locust trees have done bloomed out, maybe 2-3 weeks ago. They were full here.
You getting any rain? We haven't had any in five weeks.

You getting any rain? We haven't had any in five weeks.
We had an inch last Sunday which is all we have had for better than a month. It's pretty dry and not much in the forecast. Cooler than normal temps are the saving grace so far.

Here's hoping that we all get some soon, things could get ugly in a hurry if we don't.

We had an inch last Sunday which is all we have had for better than a month. It's pretty dry and not much in the forecast. Cooler than normal temps are the saving grace so far.

Here's hoping that we all get some soon, things could get ugly in a hurry if we don't.
We've had cool evenings that are saving the corn. Their talking 90s for most of the week.
First cutting hay was about half of normal. The alfalfa is coming back but the orchid grass isn't.
Probably have to start hauling water to pastures this week.

The only time I think I have too many cows.... I have to do it ifor all my rotational fields.
Hauling hay in the fall because we haven't had time to get the cows home is just annoying. Hauling water, especially this early in the year means it's going to be a bad year. If the cows don't have water neither does the crops.

I need a small water buffalo... maybe hook it up to a tarter.
Who am I kidding, I enjoy spending time out there.
I feed hay mid Dec until early March. I get about 10 days a month they have their own cistern in the main pastures. Run water for the rest of the year..

I need a small water buffalo... maybe hook it up to a tarter.
Who am I kidding, I enjoy spending time out there.
I feed hay mid Dec until early March. I get about 10 days a month they have their own cistern in the main pastures. Run water for the rest of the year..
For roughly how many cattle?

Latest posts