'Self-inflicted' health conditions

Help Support CattleToday:

alisonb

Reaction score
Have you ever sat around with some of your friends or family and it has suddenly dawned upon you that their life style is going to affect you one way or another? Am I being selfish thinking like this or are they being selfish? They don't seem to mind...another cigarette, another drink, another piece of cake or whatever. So what, so & so will take care of them or drive up and down to hospital to visit them etc etc... It is what is expected of us, is it not? I'm not judging them on their life style, it is their life to live but their choices effect others and they don't seem to care.

I will help a friend or my family readily, perhaps too readily, really need to rethink this whole 'self-inflicted' story. I do believe when it gets to self-inflicted health conditions they need to take responsibility for themselves...somehow.

alisonb said:
Have you ever sat around with some of your friends or family and it has suddenly dawned upon you that their life style is going to affect you one way or another? Am I being selfish thinking like this or are they being selfish? They don't seem to mind...another cigarette, another drink, another piece of cake or whatever. So what, so & so will take care of them or drive up and down to hospital to visit them etc etc... It is what is expected of us, is it not? I'm not judging them on their life style, it is their life to live but their choices effect others and they don't seem to care.

I will help a friend or my family readily, perhaps too readily, really need to rethink this whole 'self-inflicted' story. I do believe when it gets to self-inflicted health conditions they need to take responsibility for themselves...somehow.

I'd never thought about it that way, but that is right. Some people just don't think about how their choices will affect those around them. I'm not a diet/exercise nutcase, but I do try to be sensible enough to ward off that very attractive "man gut" that looks like a beach ball under the shirt that a lot of older men have. Something that simple can improve health.

I view my cousins as my contemporaries. There was a bunch of them and there still are. There is one very indelible observation:

Those who smoked are gone. I have several cousins who are surviving into their late 80s. There is a ton of us in out 60s and 70s. The smokers started leaving us in their late 50s. Some reached their late 60s. But among the ones who always had a cigarette in their hand - they never made it into their 70s. Other than the smokers, our longevity has been good. Even the ones who suffer over-weight are doing well.

I don't know what you can do about addictive behavior.

Bright Raven said:
I view my cousins as my contemporaries. There was a bunch of them and there still are. There is one very indelible observation:

Those who smoked are gone. I have several cousins who are surviving into their late 80s. There is a ton of us in out 60s and 70s. The smokers started leaving us in their late 50s. Some reached their late 60s. But among the ones who always had a cigarette in their hand - they never made it into their 70s. Other than the smokers, our longevity has been good. Even the ones who suffer over-weight are doing well.

I don't know what you can do about addictive behavior.

12 step program.

Is someone who drops dead of a heartattack or a stroke in their 60s a greater burden than someone who lives decades past their "producing" years. Or who's body outlives their mind.??

callmefence said:
Is someone who drops dead of a heartattack or a stroke in their 60s a greater burden than someone who lives decades past their "producing" years. Or who's body outlives their mind.??

Also a good point. My uncle died suddenly at age 68 still in good shape. My aunt said so many
People told her how sorry they were that he died so young. My aunt said, however, that it was a shock, but he did lead a good life, they had a long marriage, and she got to remember him just as he was instead of rotting away with a disease or just old age.

My dad is the definition of self inflicted illness. He recently stopped working due to a nerve disease. One that is likely caused by excessive weight lifting most of his adult life. He's 55 and waiting for a double hip replacement. Already has a knee and some major shoulder work done. The other day he decided to carry a 300lb treadmill up 2 flights of stairs. Gave him self a nice hernia right in the groin. They sent him home from the hospital well he waited for surgery, I called him and he said "can I call you back im on the roof with a chainsaw". With his cane in hand. To top it he moved to a small town 5 hours from me. To the top of a mountain. That gets a ton of snow. With an electric vehicle. I have to visit him often just to make sure he's not done another stupid thing :help:

callmefence said:

That is a great point. They often talk about smokers, drinkers, obese people being a burden on the health care system but so are the healthy ones who live longer but eventually we all die and at the end of life, there is a heavy burden on the health care system. I saw it with both mom and dad. Dad died at 92 and mom at 93. They both were in the hospital a dozen times or more during their last year of life.

I couldn't agree more Alison... And don't get me started on these so-called "Diseases" these days... Alcoholism is a disease, drug addiction is a disease, even being obese is a disease. When did anything self-inflicted becaome a disease that puts a burden on other people? Whether through our health care, social services, you name it... these self-inflicted, totally 100% preventable "diseases" are becoming a burden on society. What ever happened to good old accountability? Maybe I'm just too Old School, but whatever happened to the saying "If you want to dance, you better be willing to pay the fiddler"?

TN Cattle Man said:
I couldn't agree more Alison... And don't get me started on these so-called "Diseases" these days... Alcoholism is a disease, drug addiction is a disease, even being obese is a disease. When did anything self-inflicted becaome a disease that puts a burden on other people? Whether through our health care, social services, you name it... these self-inflicted, totally 100% preventable "diseases" are becoming a burden on society. What ever happened to good old accountability? Maybe I'm just too Old School, but whatever happened to the saying "If you want to dance, you better be willing to pay the fiddler"?
I agree, to a point, but when we have medications that cause side effects far worse than the original ailment who's to say what is self inflicted?

This discussion could branch off in many interesting directions as each of your comments indicated.

I think we need to ask ourselves to which extent we believe we have a responsibility to take care of our personal health ourselves. Do we wish to burden our families & friends unnecessarily.

It impacts on one emotionally, financially, socially, your time is not your own and personal relationships deteriorate.

Assigning responsibility is nothing more than semantics. It doesn't change behavior. The world is absolutely running over with examples. For example, Over-weight. It is rampant. Here in the US all you have to do is go to Walmart. There are folks walking around with "sacks of feed" hanging off them. It is grotesque. You cannot make the excuse that they don't know better. It is a behavioral issue. Same with smoking, drinking, using drugs, etc.

We all know personal examples. The ones in our families that weigh 370 pounds. They are destroying their knees, limiting their mobility, and suffering physiological problems. They know the cause but they continue.

In cases I am familiar with it stems from depression, the failure to value life, unhappiness, etc. Some are unable to adapt to changes in their life.

Assigning responsibility is not going to solve it. Changing human behavior is almost impossible.

My mom is 94, my dad is 92. Its a pretty big chore (and expensive) for the three of us kids to take care of them even though they are in assisted living. They are like Raven's folks. Dad has been in the hospital three times this year, mom twice plus one visit where they didn't admit her. One time they both went together in the same ambulance.

I would bet the bill to medicare is 250K for the year because the doctors insist on every test available just "to make sure".
I don't really think I want to live that long. Dad is bored senseless. Mom is slowly losing her mind. Neither one can hear their self fart as dad say's. They don't like living with a bunch of old people.

So I am all about living life while you feel like living. So hand me another beer and a cigar. I need something to wash down these Doritos.

bird dog said:
So I am all about living life while you feel like living. So hand me another beer and a cigar. I need something to wash down these Doritos.

That could backfire and make you just unhealthy enough that you still live to be 100, but the last thirty years of it is hospitals, procedures, and nursing homes. Reminds me of that saying, "if I'd only known I was going to live this long, I might have taken better care of
myself."

Ron - that's my sister. She is 2 years older (74) and 2" taller. Minimum, she weighs twice as much as I - maybe a lot more than that. I weigh 130#, she must be pushing close to 300#. She has a hard time walking up a flight of stairs. Started having breathing issues - had lots of heart tests - heart is great. Just needs to exercise. But, she is so bad, they didn't even recommend walking. They want her to exercise in water, to keep the stress off her legs. ERRRRR
And actually, she isn't depressed - just the opposite. She is extremely happy and content.

herofan said:
bird dog said:

That could backfire and make you just unhealthy enough that you still live to be 100, but the last thirty years of it is hospitals, procedures, and nursing homes. Reminds me of that saying, "if I'd only known I was going to live this long, I might have taken better care of
myself."

Sounds good. Look forward to the sponge baths. Make sure they get in all the nooks and crannies.

In reality, I'll be dead long before 70, so I'll just do as I please and let the rest waste their time judging me.

herofan said:
bird dog said:

myself."

The same could be said of anyone. Not a single person here can predict with any accuracy that they will or won't have a debilitating stroke, develop Alzheimer, have an auto or farm accident that leaves them like the Superman actor that fell off a horse at age 43 and spent the last 9 years of his life as a quadriplegic.

It's not how long one lives. it's how much one lives.
Everyone talks about 'quality of life' when discussing someone's end days, but in our everyday lives, at what point, are you giving up so much just to keep breathing in and out every day that we are no longer actually living life..the life WE want and enjoy?
If I have to give up most of the things I really enjoy in life just to add a few more 'healthy' years to it, that's not living IMO, and I'll pass.

All I can say is this:

- I wish each and every one of you to live a long and prosperous life

- When your time comes - be it today or 50 years from now - I want you to go down hard, fast, done and over.

- I hope none of you lay in bed for a year or more with a nurse wiping your-ass while your family literally starts to pray for you to die.

- All of you be safe and be happy because this day could be your last - so try to make someone's else's day better if you can

- Stand up straight - tell the truth and always be ready to defend your country, family and beliefs.

My best to all

L