Scour treatment - help me remember

Help Support CattleToday:

cross_7

Reaction score
A buddy bought his kids some bottle calves and a couple are scouring
I was telling him there are some electrolytes that gel up like jello
But can't remember the name

I just mix gatorade powder and water, then give sustain III boluses. Alternate 1 feeding of gatorade then 1 of milk. If calves are lethargic have heard of putting a little instant coffee in with milk. Not sure how much but assume the caffine is what gets them going.

Cross,
You can mix some generic Metamucil(psyllium) powder in the electrolyte solution; it'll gel and slow gut transit time, allowing the little buggers more of a chance to absorb what they need; also contains some dextrose, so will provide a little extra (possibly negligible) energy. I'll usually give an adult human dose of it in each electrolyte feeding.

Lucky_P":2oju7wi2 said:
Cross,
You can mix some generic Metamucil(psyllium) powder in the electrolyte solution; it'll gel and slow gut transit time, allowing the little buggers more of a chance to absorb what they need; also contains some dextrose, so will provide a little extra (possibly negligible) energy. I'll usually give an adult human dose of it in each electrolyte feeding.

Thanks
I never thought of that

What has worked best for me is specto gard. It's actually for pigs but works good on calves.

We use a scour pill and Spectam. Just had to do this a week or two ago for one of my uncles bottle fed calves. He had been giving it electrolytes and it gave the calf energy to move around but the scours didn't go away. We gave it the pill and 12 CCs of Spectam...6 in the hip and 6 in the mouth and it was better the next day. It also improved DRASTICALLY in the weight department and body wise since we gave it this treatment. Our Spectam expired in 2001 by the way and it still works great. The Spectam can pretty much get it without using the pill but we give both just to make sure we always get it the first time. My first cow was a bottle fed calf that we kept tied up in the yard and I moved her around every other day or so and every time I would put her to close to one of our pear trees she would just sit there and eat all the pears she could get too. So she always got the Scours after that and we would move her and give her Spectam and it would be gone the next day. My dad has been using Spectam for years and ever since I've been helping with our cows and got in the cow business myself it has never failed.....Knock on Wood....lol. I highly recommend this treatment.

Latest posts