Sale Catalog

Help Support CattleToday:

franseen

Reaction score
I just wondered if anyone interested in Limousin cattle got the new Wulf's Sale Catalog. If so and you have looked at it as much as I have in 24 hours. I have a question. Lot 85. For this bull their comment is, "This bull is nervous." Now having read their catalog and been to their sale for about the last 4 years this seems unusual. They probably wouldn't sell a bull if he was too "nervous". Maybe it was a comment put in by mistake. Maybe I am just a Limousin nut who has read too many sale catalogs. Anyway sorry for the people who just read this and wasted their time.

A hint for anyone just getting into breeding cattle of any breed. Get every sale catalog you can for your breed. They should be free and you can find them on the net. Or call the farms and ask for one. Even if you wouldn't buy anything. Remember you are trying to use them to help you and it should be flattering to the breeders. Take a look at why they are breeding cows with certain pedigrees and epds to certain bulls. Try to use some of their techniques if you agreed with them. It certainly helps me find new ways to try to improve our genetics.

You are absolutely correct. Catalogs are GREAT learning tools.

I have the Stevenson Basin Sale Catalog in front of me--they sold 800 REd & Black Angus bulls yesterday on the Superior Livestock Auction on the RFD channel.

The catalog is loaded with all kinds of interesting info on almost 100 pages.

What confuses me, though, is why one bull would sell for $ 41,000 and his FULL brother sell for $4,500 ? Both were ET, exact same EPD, etc etc.
They were Lot 207 and 208, incase anyone has the catalog as well.

My other question is--how do I find out the selling price of the 800 lots ?
I wrote down the first 300 +, but then had to do chores.

As for the "nervous" bull comment--I think it is great that the rancher is doing full disclosure for the livestock he is selling so there will be no surprises for the buyer. That is professional courtesy. Something I appreciate.
Went to a small sale last year and the auctioneer identified a few cows as having "little or no respect " for low slung electric fences.

Honesty is always the best policy.

Anything else is not acceptable.

CowCop":28pyo6b9 said:
You are absolutely correct. Catalogs are GREAT learning tools.

I have the Stevenson Basin Sale Catalog in front of me--they sold 800 REd & Black Angus bulls yesterday on the Superior Livestock Auction on the RFD channel.

The catalog is loaded with all kinds of interesting info on almost 100 pages.

What confuses me, though, is why one bull would sell for $ 41,000 and his FULL brother sell for $4,500 ? Both were ET, exact same EPD, etc etc.
They were Lot 207 and 208, incase anyone has the catalog as well.

My other question is--how do I find out the selling price of the 800 lots ?
I wrote down the first 300 +, but then had to do chores.

As for the "nervous" bull comment--I think it is great that the rancher is doing full disclosure for the livestock he is selling so there will be no surprises for the buyer. That is professional courtesy. Something I appreciate.
Went to a small sale last year and the auctioneer identified a few cows as having "little or no respect " for low slung electric fences.

Honesty is always the best policy.

Anything else is not acceptable.

Gee, I wish I had known their sale was going to be on RFD! Are you aware of any others?

The only difference in the price of the flush brothers must be their looks, and perhaps their performance? I'd assume they were young bulls, with no calves on the ground? Apparently someone was interested in their genetics and used their own personal criteria to figure out which of the two they liked best. There can be a lot of difference in flush brothers, just like human full brothers.

As for finding out prices, I'd contact Stevenson/Basin and see if they are willing to share that information. Most of those places don't want to run off potentional "small" customers and are happy to point out that not all their bulls sell for big bucks.

Frankie, RFD has periodic sales and auctions on their channel. Unfortunately I do not get their regular magazine with their programming scheduale.
Perhaps someone else that does can list the sales and the dates that are coming up.
I also wonder if maybe it might be listed on the RFD website ( is there one ? )

I DO know that on Novemebr 28 & 29 2005 there will be another Stevenson Basin auction of 2,000 females and 900 bulls.
Request a catalog. Should be about 200 pages and weigh 4 pounds. :D

The only difference I could see on those 2 full sibs was that the $41,000 bull had much more info written on his intro page.
His Ribeye area was 1.3 sq in per hundred pounds of scan weight.

I noticed that the bulls whose "bull parts" were loose, frothy and flapping in the wind ( in the video ) went for less money.

CowCop":2ru7kj6k said:
Frankie, RFD has periodic sales and auctions on their channel. Unfortunately I do not get their regular magazine with their programming scheduale.
Perhaps someone else that does can list the sales and the dates that are coming up.
I also wonder if maybe it might be listed on the RFD website ( is there one ? )

I DO know that on Novemebr 28 & 29 2005 there will be another Stevenson Basin auction of 2,000 females and 900 bulls.
Request a catalog. Should be about 200 pages and weigh 4 pounds. :D

The only difference I could see on those 2 full sibs was that the $41,000 bull had much more info written on his intro page.
His Ribeye area was 1.3 sq in per hundred pounds of scan weight.

I noticed that the bulls whose "bull parts" were loose, frothy and flapping in the wind ( in the video ) went for less money.

Yes, they have a website. I used to go print out the schedule, but haven't in a while. I guess I need to do that. I've missed a couple of sales that I'd really like to have seen.

Does the catalog list the actual performance of the two bulls? BW, WW, YW, ADG, hip height, etc? That might account for the difference.

I've asked a lot of bull buyers over the years what they look for in a bull and most of them don't seem to be able to put it into words. But when they start bidding, I guess it all comes clear to them!

Latest posts