sale barn shafted me

Help Support CattleToday:

LCCattle":3jikb9dl said:
You may have thought you bought a calf when in fact you bought a full grown mini. There's a lot of that going around lately.
I saw a trader buy a full grown zebu later the same bull was at a sell and the story was he was a young Brahman bull that would make someone a nice herd bull someday. Sad thing is he suckered someone into buying it. I would not be able to sleep if I did things like that.
I have had wrong cattle loaded in my trailer, and sold a 3 year old that vet called ''old'' when I told him and said I could tell him the day she was born he rechecked her and called her a ''1+'' told him he still wasn't right but he left it at that so I told them when she came in the ring.
Its best to be there when your cattle sells.

I pulled up the market report for that day.They didnt show a single bull calf in the 780 lb weight range but it did show one 970 lb bull that brought the exact same amount /lb as my check was for. I emailed the owner and his assistant last week but no answer yet.

cowgirl8":12mm2mme said:
We took a small load of calves to Winnsboro Tx sale. We had our daughters 3 steers out of her old show heifers, all averaged 700+.. we also had a couple of ours..Not sure the circumstances as to the small load, but there were just 5. I knew all these calves to a T, all ours had markings.
We've used this sale many times, its a little further for us to go to, so we only go if we want to spread out big loads over the week if we haul lots of them out...but again, not sure exactly why we went this day with this load. Anywho, go back that evening to get our check. Husband first looks at the weights...Uh, no way. One was like in the 400s and nothing over 600 Absolutely not, nothing in our trailer was that small.. It was late, so we were looking at it with the cab lights...i then spotted, white. They had us for a white calf. Another was solid black...Daughters calves were all red. Ours was black, but had a white face. SO we marched back in to see. I dont remember exactly everything because it was so bizarre, nothing was even close to right. Luckily, i could pull up pictures of every calf on my phone, but didnt have to. The white one was good enough for them to realize, yep, we screwed up.
What happened is, and they say it happens a lot.....When the calves lose their tags, they just sub one in. Apparently they have a pool of lost tag calves they just grab a color and weight and add it in if you come up with less calves on your ticket......whomever tagged our calves did a bad bad job i guess..
Its a thought..

So all 5 of your calves lost their back tag? I don't buy that. Either they messed up with the record keeping or they got caught trying to pull a fast one.

exactly I quit believing in coincidences , I 'll live with being wrong the few times a "coincidence" may actually be a coincidence and just altogether not believe in them and be right 99% of the time

JMJ Farms":21ei7b2m said:
cowgirl8":21ei7b2m said:
We took a small load of calves to Winnsboro Tx sale. We had our daughters 3 steers out of her old show heifers, all averaged 700+.. we also had a couple of ours..Not sure the circumstances as to the small load, but there were just 5. I knew all these calves to a T, all ours had markings.
We've used this sale many times, its a little further for us to go to, so we only go if we want to spread out big loads over the week if we haul lots of them out...but again, not sure exactly why we went this day with this load. Anywho, go back that evening to get our check. Husband first looks at the weights...Uh, no way. One was like in the 400s and nothing over 600 Absolutely not, nothing in our trailer was that small.. It was late, so we were looking at it with the cab lights...i then spotted, white. They had us for a white calf. Another was solid black...Daughters calves were all red. Ours was black, but had a white face. SO we marched back in to see. I dont remember exactly everything because it was so bizarre, nothing was even close to right. Luckily, i could pull up pictures of every calf on my phone, but didnt have to. The white one was good enough for them to realize, yep, we screwed up.
What happened is, and they say it happens a lot.....When the calves lose their tags, they just sub one in. Apparently they have a pool of lost tag calves they just grab a color and weight and add it in if you come up with less calves on your ticket......whomever tagged our calves did a bad bad job i guess..
Its a thought..

So all 5 of your calves lost their back tag? I don't buy that. Either they messed up with the record keeping or they got caught trying to pull a fast one.
It was their excuse...not ours. So who knows. If one hadnt been white we may have not had a chance. It was one time that i thought, we should weigh our calves before every sale. I do video them coming out of the trailer when we unload at the sale barn. One time we got almost nothing for a calf they said was cripple. Well, he wasnt cripple when he came out of the trailer. So now i get video proof....

cowgirl8":p5y8ygfb said:
JMJ Farms":p5y8ygfb said:
It was their excuse...not ours. So who knows. If one hadnt been white we may have not had a chance. It was one time that i thought, we should weigh our calves before every sale. I do video them coming out of the trailer when we unload at the sale barn. One time we got almost nothing for a calf they said was cripple. Well, he wasnt cripple when he came out of the trailer. So now i get video proof....

Yeah I understand that it was their excuse. I'm just saying I don't believe them. As for the cripple, if it was any kind of barn at all they would file that on their insurance, that's what it's for. I believe if what you are saying is true, then I would find me a new barn to do business with.

If we did no more business with sale barns that we felt we got the shaft, we'd have no barns to haul to..lol

No, not playing victim...sounds like there are plenty of complaints in this forum, ie the OP of this thread and the many many others. ..Over the course of 37 years, thousands of calves, not to mention the cows and bulls we've sold. We've had at least one complaint at each barn. I was told i shouldnt do business with a sale barn that i had a complaint....which would leave me no barns in my area.......right

We've had weights come up light YEARS ago at the sale barn.. they've upgraded their scales since.. Also had problem with them putting our calves at the very end of the sale when there's no one around anymore.

For butcher cows, etc, I don't lose sleep over it, but on my calves, I try and be there when they go through the ring, and I try and get the sale on video.. if there's a discrepancy anywhere at least I have something to fall back on with proof.

When we were having problems, we were newbies, new to cattle, new to that sale barn, etc.. Now we've been selling there for 25 years, I know the people there, and they put my cattle through at a reasonable time of day when there are bums in the seats..

Mistakes do happen, and there are crooks out there too... sometimes you sure have to wonder which is which though.

cowgirl8":2pdin0h5 said:
No, not playing victim...sounds like there are plenty of complaints in this forum, ie the OP of this thread and the many many others. ..Over the course of 37 years, thousands of calves, not to mention the cows and bulls we've sold. We've had at least one complaint at each barn. I was told i shouldnt do business with a sale barn that i had a complaint....which would leave me no barns in my area.......right

No just another case if I can't dazzle them with brilliance I will try and baffle em with BS.

If I have a complaint it depends on how the barn deals with it and if it is a justified complaint. Their scales are going to be pretty darn accurate since the state checks them regularly and one guy goes and stands on them and checks the weight against his own weight. If it's far off they recalibrate the scale.

Caustic Burno":3ml6cs9x said:
cowgirl8":3ml6cs9x said:

No just another case if I can't dazzle them with brilliance I will try and baffle em with BS.

I understand that a hobbiest would have trouble understanding. It would sound bedazzling. :nod: ;-)

Sometimes the sale barns do made some mistakes.... But I don't believe that there are lot of complaints about the sale barns. They just got upset that they get less money from their cattle that got docked for many reasons.

Chicken shyt fed cattle is the least bedazzling thing I can think of.
Have you ever thought your chickens have come home to roost.
With your personality alone I can understand buyers docking your cattle.
More than one way to skin a cat.

Caustic Burno":2f9ajdsi said:
Chicken shyt fed cattle is the least bedazzling thing I can think of.
Have you ever thought your chickens have come home to roost.
With your personality alone I can understand buyers docking your cattle.
More than one way to skin a cat.
Skin this cat, if you can do math, we'll start out with 37 years in business. We use to lease land along with our 2600 acres and ran over 300 mother cows over those years. Maybe back in 2000, we cut back and let the lease land go so we averaged about 250 mother cows. We'll be conservative and say we averaged, in just calves and not culled cows, 250 hauled to the sale yearly...
I'll admit, i had to get a calculator out....so, a low estimate is over the years we've sold.....9250 over those years... I'd say we have considerable experience with sale barns... way more than someone with a hobby....

Latest posts