sale barn shafted me

Help Support CattleToday:

mtnhunter

Reaction score
Bought a bull calf in may of last year. He weighed 770 lbs, Fed him a year and decided he wasnt growing like i thought he should. Figured he might weigh 900 lbs and I am usually low on guessing. Dropped him off at the sale barn and went to work on Mon the day of the sale. Got my check later in the week and the weight was listed as 780 lbs! There is no way that he weighed just as much as he did the year before. I havent contacted them and I dont know of anything I can do but take it. Any suggestions or comments?

Dang, that's a lot of shrink. I'd call 'em anyway.
Maybe they're one of those places that ..well, pad the buyer's weight ticket and subtract on the seller's ticket. ;-)

I usually weigh mine on the way to the sale barn. Always amazed at the shrink but it's usually within what's considered normal.

I had a bull that lost several hundred pounds from when I loaded him to when he sold. I googled shrink, it was at the top of normal but still considered normal shrink

That is one reason I like to see mine weighed, that way there is no second guess. I took some in the past the day before and they mixed up some paperwork but got it right in the end.

I would question the 1st scale weight and whether he actually weighed 770 lbs last May before I'd question the sale barn scale weight. As Caustic Burno said, sale barn wouldn't be in business long doing it.

I agree with the " sale yard would not be in business long" group. If you bought the bull from a private party I would question those scales.

I bought him from a sale barn so and he looked like he weighed 770 lbs. I watched him grow enough to know he was a lot heavier when i took him to the barn than he was when i bought him. Im usually 50-100 lbs low in a guess. It could have been an honest mistake when the checks were filled out but I dont have anyway that I know of to verify either weight. I bet I dont drop one off and let it sell without watching the sale again. If I had been there I would have made them weigh him again.

Most likely he was a non doer, grew frame making him look somewhat bigger while he was actually rolling backwards on you. Salebarns with very, very, very few exceptions don't cheat consignors. Certainly not on a single. What was the gain to them? 120lbs. at $150/cwt.? There isn't a sale barn out there that will risk P&S shutting their doors over $180.
As far as an honest mistake on checks or something, while very unusual, it certainly is not impossible.
Hope your next steer is a better experience.

js1234":3b086mge said:
Most likely he was a non doer, grew frame making him look somewhat bigger while he was actually rolling backwards on you. Salebarns with very, very, very few exceptions don't cheat consignors. Certainly not on a single. What was the gain to them? 120lbs. at $150/cwt.? There isn't a sale barn out there that will risk P&S shutting their doors over $180.
As far as an honest mistake on checks or something, while very unusual, it certainly is not impossible.
Hope your next steer is a better experience.
Can't say it any better than this.

We took a small load of calves to Winnsboro Tx sale. We had our daughters 3 steers out of her old show heifers, all averaged 700+.. we also had a couple of ours..Not sure the circumstances as to the small load, but there were just 5. I knew all these calves to a T, all ours had markings.
We've used this sale many times, its a little further for us to go to, so we only go if we want to spread out big loads over the week if we haul lots of them out...but again, not sure exactly why we went this day with this load. Anywho, go back that evening to get our check. Husband first looks at the weights...Uh, no way. One was like in the 400s and nothing over 600 Absolutely not, nothing in our trailer was that small.. It was late, so we were looking at it with the cab lights...i then spotted, white. They had us for a white calf. Another was solid black...Daughters calves were all red. Ours was black, but had a white face. SO we marched back in to see. I dont remember exactly everything because it was so bizarre, nothing was even close to right. Luckily, i could pull up pictures of every calf on my phone, but didnt have to. The white one was good enough for them to realize, yep, we screwed up.
What happened is, and they say it happens a lot.....When the calves lose their tags, they just sub one in. Apparently they have a pool of lost tag calves they just grab a color and weight and add it in if you come up with less calves on your ticket......whomever tagged our calves did a bad bad job i guess..
Its a thought..

Honest mistakes do happen.
6 or 8 weeks ago we got a check in the mail from the local sale barn for a load of straw they sold.
We didn't sell any straw or anything else that week at that sale barn.
Took the check back in the next week, handed it to the sale barn owner and let him know what happened.
(so maybe he will think I'm a honest guy) :cowboy:

You may have thought you bought a calf when in fact you bought a full grown mini. There's a lot of that going around lately.

LCCattle":174jpp8t said:
You may have thought you bought a calf when in fact you bought a full grown mini. There's a lot of that going around lately.
IMO, it sounds like he just brought a super slow growing dink and it's much older than we thought. But it's easy to spot a full grown mini from a feeder calf.

Muddy":2mbpoe30 said:
LCCattle":2mbpoe30 said:
IMO, it sounds like he just brought a super slow growing dink and it's much older than we thought. But it's easy to spot a full grown mini from a feeder calf.

Saw a guy loading out some mini's at the sale yard. A guy standing there made the comment that they would be the same size in the fall. The new owner replied "they better not be". But the fact was they wouldn't be growing much more.

Last fall I hauled 7 or 8 open heifers to the sale. If I remember right they averaged 960 pounds. I watched them sell, waited a bit, and went to the office to pick up my check. They put the check in an envelope. I took it walked to the pickup and was about to leave. Decided to see how much my take home was. It was a check for two 300 pound Jersey bulls. The check was for another guy with the same last name. Of course they got the correct check right away. But had I gone clear home I would have been 200 miles away with the wrong check.