Sale barn to craigslist

Help Support CattleToday:

We buy and resell, but never have put any on Craigslist, but may give it a try.
We like to put good kind of cattle together then resell at the local barns or special sales.
We bought a set of 20 something heifer calves off Craigslist that didn't turn out good.
We didn't put eyes on them ourselves, sent a buyer to go look at them, he said they were good, but it ended up being not good.

Haha, yes it happens all the time. Right or wrong it doesn't matter. Don't get caught. To not be concerned a dealer and have to be bonded you need to own the cattle 30days.
I'm pretty sure it goes back to the beginning stages of traceability and BANGER cows.

I actually seen one of those "don't buy from this one" CL ads about this outfit.

Not everyone's the same, but I'd have to get soaked hard to feel right doing that.
I don't know him he's close to my area. I've known two people who've bought groups is all. Several lost in one group, the other panned out okay cept a few opens. Just have to make your own decisions but I don't buy traded cattle myself. I don't buy from sales and rarely sell. I got burned bad on a quarter gelding about 20 years ago from a trader and learned my lesson the hard way.

Used to be a crapload of dairy calves on CL somewhere up around Conroe Tx, all photographed in those calf crate thingies... they looked like hammered dog pooh.

There's a guy near me that buys lightweight calves and will list them with the stickers still on them

I see nothing wrong with buying to resell. What I do take exception to is when people misrepresent what they selling to an inexperienced buyer.
In my mind the worst of it is the baby dairy calf dealers. It's a high risk buying them right off the farm anyways, and then by the time they are sent to stockyards and brought in from a long way and often out of state. Very low survival rate on most of those deals for most folks.
I got fed up with CL content and rarely look at it anymore. lots of obvious trader cattle, or way overpriced cattle. My favorites (sarcasm of course) were the pure Angus with horns and/or white faces.

We have a guy that buys at Monday's sale and by Wed the "had colostrum and from great mother's" calves are on CL. I don't mind the flipping, but be honest that you have no idea what the calf had in it and that it was exposed to how many other calves and animals in the 48 hours since the sale....

I don't think this kind of trading is as bad as it once was. Craig's List just makes it more obvious and easier for the non professional.
Local stockyards once had whole sections devoted to the traders. Trash barrels by the working chutes were filled with used sales tags, fingernail polish remover and empty black spray paint cans.
There was a kind of honor among thieves at work but woe to the innocent.
Who can forget the parade of "pinhookers" that approached your truck when you got in line to unload.
The cattle business has always had a hard edge that attracts this kind of activity.
Buyer Beware remains good advise even today.

We have a guy that buys at Monday's sale and by Wed the "had colostrum and from great mother's" calves are on CL. I don't mind the flipping, but be honest that you have no idea what the calf had in it and that it was exposed to how many other calves and animals in the 48 hours since the sale....
Unfortunately, probably a lot of those calves have never seen colostrum and exposed to everything imaginable by the time an unsuspecting buyer gets them.

Oh Lord yes!! Jump up on your trailer even if you're still moving along in line to unload..
Yep, a line of em on both sides jumping up on the trailer and waving their hands and hollering to get the cattle to turn around do they could see them. That always made me mad as it just got the cattle stirred up. Then here they'd come peckin on the truck window. Some of them would be in face till you couldn't hardly talk to the stockyard worker to fill out the ticket.

I think it is a southern thing Dave. I have never seen them here in the midwest either. The barn operators would put a stop to it quickly.

Latest posts