Sale barn to craigslist

Help Support CattleToday:

Anyone seen cows at the sale barn and then posted on Craigslist same day? Southwest MO area.
Would anyone do that? Sure they would. It's buyer beware. More with small calves than cows here. Or odd cows like Highland, Belted, or Longhorn. Maybe a Jersey that's been culled from a dairy and sold for kill price.

Yep, I've seen that a few times, and suspected it a bunch of times.
Like @kenny thomas said I watched some "mini" cows sell one one day and sure enough an outfit that I suspected of doing that sort of thing had them on CL by the next day.
I suspect that several of the regular CL sellers in this area do that all the time with all types of cattle, that they can buy cheap enough to resell.
While back I noticed an outfit in another county some ways away from here that almost always has multiple listings and seem to add new ones right after the stockyards in their town has its sale.
Buyer beware for sure.
My advice would be to keep checking in on the CL listings, you'll likely get to recognizing some patterns of the posters before too long

On the local cl from Huntsville Al there's always bottle calves from the same place . Only thing I can figure is they are buying at sale barn and reselling on cl .

Yep, I've seen that a few times, and suspected it a bunch of times.
Like @kenny thomas said I watched some "mini" cows sell one one day and sure enough an outfit that I suspected of doing that sort of thing had them on CL by the next day.
I suspect that several of the regular CL sellers in this area do that all the time with all types of cattle, that they can buy cheap enough to resell.
While back I noticed an outfit in another county some ways away from here that almost always has multiple listings and seem to add new ones right after the stockyards in their town has its sale.
Buyer beware for sure.
My advice would be to keep checking in on the CL listings, you'll likely get to recognizing some patterns of the posters before too long
Campbellsville?

Folks who sell some "specialty" cattle at sale barns usually don't have the time or willingness to explore other sale options.
And sometimes they just get in a pinch and need a few bucks fast.

Does NOT mean the animals are bad animals by any means. Another person who knows what they are and the true "value" of those animals can make a nickel here and there. BUT NOT ALWAYS!

Folks who sell some "specialty" cattle at sale barns usually don't have the time or willingness to explore other sale options.

Does NOT mean the animals are bad animals by any means. Another person who knows what they are and the true "value" of those animals can make a nickel here and there. BUT NOT ALWAYS!
Or someone who can make up a bigger tale about them.

Like with mini-belties...

Or someone who can make up a bigger tale about them.
Then there is always that too!
Edited to add...
I make no bones about it. Ive re-sold some animals same day. And the people that bought them were told EXACTLY where I came up with em. There is people out there that want certain "types" and don't have time to go to sales etc.
But most/more than half of my trader animals get held a while. I want to make sure they are healthy and have every opportunity afforded them to do well.
Like with mini-belties...
U need one? I know a guy....
Get it while it's hot. Ain't even been listed yet!
Open and ready for YOUR bull.
In the rarer red color too

Last edited:
And, I have seen people do the opposite, and actually, a lot more of this probably. They will go buy cattle off an ad, then take them to the sale. Don;t see what is wrong with doing it either way. All my life until about 10 years ago, when Atlanta finally completely moved up here and agriculture is gone, the biggest sale in the area was always Bartow County on Saturday. I have bought a lot of cattle off of farms the last 50 years or so, and every time I told the seller I would come get them Friday night or Saturday morning, and then carry them straight to the barn. No need in unloading and loading back up at my place.

You got that right! Down here, no one is going to pay more for cattle at your farm than they KNOW the cattle will bring at the sale. Every day at any given sale across the country, there are better cows, heifers, and bulls sold than many you find advertised "private treaty", or any home grown that you retained and raised yourself.

Then there is always that too!
Edited to add...
I make no bones about it. Ive re-sold some animals same day. And the people that bought them were told EXACTLY where I came up with em. There is people out there that want certain "types" and don't have time to go to sales etc.
But most/more than half of my trader animals get held a while. I want to make sure they are healthy and have every opportunity afforded them to do well.

U need one? I know a guy....
Get it while it's hot. Ain't even been listed yet!
Open and ready for YOUR bull.
In the rarer red color too
You do the right thing. You tell the truth as best you know. Nothing wrong with that. You deserve something for your time spent.
But I'm betting you have never seen an add that said " we bought them another sale barn today and don't know anything about them".

Funny thing is.....

Then, my "GOOD" calves from my main herd end up selling at the sale barn!
🤣

Another thing I'll add.
Sometimes I buy a critter to re-sell with more than one option to turn a profit.
If they don't sell shortly.
I can always make em bigger and still do ok.
Gotta keep your options open too.

So ya gotta look at it from both sides, but YES, definitely there are some real scumbags out there too

Latest posts