sale barn shafted me

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":1ixh8f2j said:
Ah yes, the old hobbiest slam coming back again.

Yep, A leopard cant change its spots. Its the same ole rhetoric.

Maybe we should get macon to allow the status of some to be this

brag-ert]

Spell Syllables

Synonyms
Examples
Word Origin

See more synonyms on Thesaurus.com

noun

a person who does a lot of bragging.

adjective

bragging; boastful.

So all 5 of your calves lost their back tag? I don't buy that. Either they messed up with the record keeping or they got caught trying to pull a fast one.[/quote]

A lot of times if you sell a group they will only tag one for identification.

midTN_Brangusman":1vve6cy2 said:
So all 5 of your calves lost their back tag? I don't buy that. Either they messed up with the record keeping or they got caught trying to pull a fast one.

A lot of times if you sell a group they will only tag one for identification.[/quote]
We saw them tagged and they had a kid tag them. Its a family run place. I want to think it was a mistake and when the owner was confronted by it, he was mortified. He made it good. The way he explained it, sometimes the tags fall off...that i understand. He said they have a pen those go into and they try to match them up to a seller whose ticket is short a calf...Even he didnt expect us to believe all 5 came off...really, he felt he couldnt say he was sorry enough. All i can say is thank goodness someone dropped the ball with the white calf......and this was in 2014 when our calves were bringing 1300 average..lol My husband can guess the check we'll get on a load of calves by just a couple hundred dollars..We do this every load and he's always so close.....that one was not even in the ball park...lol

cowgirl8":2ri26wdm said:
dun":2ri26wdm said:
cowgirl8":2ri26wdm said:
When is it bad to be a hobbiest..It should be embraced..
When it is used as an insult!
Like mongrel, box of crayons, consistency....yeah, kind of like those..lol ;-)
Because we got tired of your egoistic and bragging crap. Your attitude sucks big time and you always got upset when someone point the flaws out.

Muddy":35jpoq79 said:
cowgirl8":35jpoq79 said:
dun":35jpoq79 said:
When it is used as an insult!
Like mongrel, box of crayons, consistency....yeah, kind of like those..lol ;-)
Because we got tired of your egoistic and bragging crap. Your attitude sucks big time and you always got upset when someone point the flaws out.
Be sure that if you dish it out, you can also take it....i've never seen such big babies in all my life...good lord

cowgirl8":1wpzijdi said:
....i've never seen such big babies in all my life...good lord

We're awful. Worse than terrible. But you keep coming back to chat with us.

Caustic Burno":i5bo63es said:
cowgirl8":i5bo63es said:
No, not playing victim...sounds like there are plenty of complaints in this forum, ie the OP of this thread and the many many others. ..Over the course of 37 years, thousands of calves, not to mention the cows and bulls we've sold. We've had at least one complaint at each barn. I was told i shouldnt do business with a sale barn that i had a complaint....which would leave me no barns in my area.......right

No just another case if I can't dazzle them with brilliance I will try and baffle em with BS.

CG8, with the number of calves you sell you should be selling them off the farm via Internet auctions.

I know that's been suggested to you in the past but it still makes sense to me.

The 4 barns I have sold at in the past years have all had me sign a ticket, once completed. I verify steer or heifer or cow or pair. I verify tag numbers applied. Then I sign. Animals have a tag on right and left side. That glue is hard to remove. Tags are hard to remove. I cannot envision one "falling off".

backhoeboogie":1v0ph0tt said:
The 4 barns I have sold at in the past years have all had me sign a ticket, once completed. I verify steer or heifer or cow or pair. I verify tag numbers applied. Then I sign. Animals have a tag on right and left side. That glue is hard to remove. Tags are hard to remove. I cannot envision one "falling off".
Got that right that is some good glue takes hair and hide if you try to pull it off.

I don't see why so many seem offended by the numbers and hobby stuff . If you got a few cows you are a hobbiest . SHe's a 1 percenter in the cattle business . she sounds a little like donald trump

TennesseeTuxedo":8t2qrqva said:
Caustic Burno":8t2qrqva said:
cowgirl8":8t2qrqva said:
No, not playing victim...sounds like there are plenty of complaints in this forum, ie the OP of this thread and the many many others. ..Over the course of 37 years, thousands of calves, not to mention the cows and bulls we've sold. We've had at least one complaint at each barn. I was told i shouldnt do business with a sale barn that i had a complaint....which would leave me no barns in my area.......right

No just another case if I can't dazzle them with brilliance I will try and baffle em with BS.

CG8, with the number of calves you sell you should be selling them off the farm via Internet auctions.

I know that's been suggested to you in the past but it still makes sense to me.
Its all a matter of how much you want to put into it....its just me and my husband...I do enough work and get what i want paid to do it....And we are just so far away from anything that would make it convenient..

I also want to remind that i've explained why once before. We tried once for a special sale..Where we live, around weaning time we get heavy rain and cold. When we weaned that time, a big wet cold front hit. We are not set up to wean lots of calves at one time but did that time. We lost one to a broken neck and one to bloat...Then, we had over 100 bawling calves standing in belly deep cold mud, you could hear the pounds going down the drain.. To get to where we could wean that many, we'd have to spend over 100,000 to get set up. We are nearing 60, and i dont plan to do this forever. We'd never pay off the 100,000 with the time we're planning on working on the 'extra' we are leaving at the table now.....

Caustic Burno":1bf73y51 said:
backhoeboogie":1bf73y51 said:
Got that right that is some good glue takes hair and hide if you try to pull it off.
Here if your calf gets a tag it means it did not grade and you will be unhappy. Graded feeders do not get tagged, only calves that did not grade, slaughter cows/bulls and cows sold by the head get tagged.

tom4018":33mr7gu6 said:
Caustic Burno":33mr7gu6 said:
backhoeboogie":33mr7gu6 said:
Here if your calf gets a tag it means it did not grade and you will be unhappy. Graded feeders do not get tagged, only calves that did not grade, slaughter cows/bulls and cows sold by the head get tagged.
Everything gets tagged going in the barn here calves will be sorted to pens according to size all are sold one at a time through the ring.

tom4018":3jaxy5jq said:
Caustic Burno":3jaxy5jq said:
backhoeboogie":3jaxy5jq said:

How do you know which are yours?

Craig Miller":5h6xsncp said:

How do you know which are yours?[/quote]

PAid on the weight on arrival and all the feeders are co-mingled if they grade.

tom4018":32jm9n8w said:
Craig Miller":32jm9n8w said:

How do you know which are yours?

PAid on the weight on arrival and all the feeders are co-mingled if they grade.[/quote]
I wouldn't care for that at all. Run through ring I watch the bid per calf and the weight on the scale.
Somebody would get hurt here trying that by a mob.