sale barn shafted me

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8":1cot0e6s said:
Muddy":1cot0e6s said:
The only thing I don't agree with sale barn is the dock on colors, especially shorthorns.
Once you get some experience under your belt and get some consistency in size and color, you wont be docked at the sale barn...Since its just a hobby for you now, its a great time to learn how the professionals do it. Its not what you want to raise, its what they want to buy...remember that..
Lol! At least I know what the consistency and uniformity is. For your record, I was talking about the shorthorns specifically. I don't say nothing about uniformity or consistency, just the shorthorn chrome which is a big issue at few sale barns and you gets lowest price for them than any colors. I never get any dock from have a belted calf in a long time and they gets sold with the rest of calves. Good thing I got rid of most shorthorn cows for that reason.

Muddy":1mnjifvq said:
cowgirl8":1mnjifvq said:
Muddy":1mnjifvq said:
The only thing I don't agree with sale barn is the dock on colors, especially shorthorns.
Once you get some experience under your belt and get some consistency in size and color, you wont be docked at the sale barn...Since its just a hobby for you now, its a great time to learn how the professionals do it. Its not what you want to raise, its what they want to buy...remember that..
Lol! At least I know what the consistency and uniformity is. For your record, I was talking about the shorthorns specifically. I don't say nothing about uniformity or consistency, just the shorthorn chrome which is a big issue at few sale barns and you gets lowest price for them than any colors. I never get any dock from have a belted calf in a long time and they gets sold with the rest of calves. Good thing I got rid of most shorthorn cows for that reason.
Instead of arguing, learn from this.. One day you'll be able to hang with the big boys....

cowgirl8":3trrjc0n said:
Muddy":3trrjc0n said:
Instead of arguing, learn from this.. One day you'll be able to hang with the big boys....
:lol2: :lol2: Oh I learned a lot of things already, thanks to the good folks on here. Maybe you'll learn one or two from them one day.

Muddy":2b7p99o5 said:
cowgirl8":2b7p99o5 said:
Muddy":2b7p99o5 said:
:lol2: :lol2: Oh I learned a lot of things already, thanks to the good folks on here. Maybe you'll learn one or two from them one day.

Muddy don't worry as most realize NASA couldn't penetrate that skull,
If they could replicate the material it was made of and placed it on the belly of the shuttles
we would have never lost one.

CB, you got it right. Debating and arguments on here is how you will have a better understanding on some stuff you never knew before.

If you don't want to risk getting screwed at the barn do what the big boys do and sell straight to the feed lots. My buddy sells truck loads straight to feedlot gets top price for all sound cattle and no commission. Only thing he sells at the barn are cripples and dinks.

I just wanted to say

I live NINE miles from Winnsboro. We drive 45 minutes to Sulphur Springs or an hour to Longview when we sell our cattle. That is all I will say.

Did not read the whole thread of tit for tat. But wanted to add my .02 for anyone who cares.

dun":210lq8ed said:
Most times the tail end selling cows are being sold as slaughter cows. What they bring is based on what there slaughter value is, not as a cow that will be going back to a farm for other use. If she lost 2 out of 3 pregnancies she sold exactly with the group she should have. The cutters and canners.

Dun, I was comparing her to the slaughter sales. I knew she wasn't breeding stock and would not have sold her as same; that's why we put her thru the slaughter sale. I just figured a nice big healthy Angus would bring more per # at slaughter than a bony old Holstein. She brought a little bit more per # than the most pitiful of the dairy cows, but there wasn't much of a spread. This was not a huge barn like a lot of folks on here probably go to; there were only maybe 3 guys buying in any quantity, and 2 of them left just before our cow was sent out. Oh well. Live and learn, no biggie. It was still a good learning experience.

She was a nice cow, never did learn what her problem was. Didn't retain her heifer either, sold her to a guy who knew the dam's history. Heifer, of course, proceeded to calve out perfectly...of course! :lol:

boondocks":1c77zc76 said:
dun":1c77zc76 said:
Most times the tail end selling cows are being sold as slaughter cows. What they bring is based on what there slaughter value is, not as a cow that will be going back to a farm for other use. If she lost 2 out of 3 pregnancies she sold exactly with the group she should have. The cutters and canners.

Dun, I was comparing her to the slaughter sales. I knew she wasn't breeding stock and would not have sold her as same; that's why we put her thru the slaughter sale. I just figured a nice big healthy Angus would bring more per # at slaughter than a bony old Holstein. She brought a little bit more per # than the most pitiful of the dairy cows, but there wasn't much of a spread. This was not a huge barn like a lot of folks on here probably go to; there were only maybe 3 guys buying in any quantity, and 2 of them left just before our cow was sent out. Oh well. Live and learn, no biggie. It was still a good learning experience.

She was a nice cow, never did learn what her problem was. Didn't retain her heifer either, sold her to a guy who knew the dam's history. Heifer, of course, proceeded to calve out perfectly...of course! :lol:
There are not as many packer cow buyers at sales as there are calf order buyers. An overly fat packer cow gets discounted for being too fat. Packers want lean from packer cows. Here is a fact sheet that explains cow grades:

http://agrilifecdn.tamu.edu/beefinfo/fi ... l-cows.pdf

One last thought, packing plants that slaughter cows have their own grades. The difference between a boner and a breaker can wreck you if you are selling on the rail.

Muddy":3n419o6s said:
cowgirl8":3n419o6s said:
Muddy":3n419o6s said:
Muddy not one single solitary chance in he77 is that going to happen.
Just more of all this :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

jedstivers":2t3u0hy5 said:
Muddy":2t3u0hy5 said:
cowgirl8":2t3u0hy5 said:
Muddy not one single solitary chance in he77 is that going to happen.
Just more of all this :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

:nod: :nod: :nod: :? :? :nod:

Caustic Burno":3hb67gq4 said:
If a cow comes through the ring that isn't palpated and aged best you can hope for is Wolf Brand chili price after that it is dog food, cutters or canners.
It always surprises me how many aren't willing to pay that little fee to get those numbers on the side...

greybeard":3lm97bwh said:
Caustic Burno":3lm97bwh said:
If a cow comes through the ring that isn't palpated and aged best you can hope for is Wolf Brand chili price after that it is dog food, cutters or canners.
It always surprises me how many aren't willing to pay that little fee to get those numbers on the side...

Most of the time if we are getting rid of one I don't think she should go to some one else I let her go for slaughter. Once in a while we get rid of one that we have checked and sell by the head instead of slaughter. I don't want to pawn my problems off on someone else but if they buy here from the slaughter pen they take the risk.

tom4018":462b1sca said:
Most of the time if we are getting rid o one I don't think she should go to some one else I let her go for slaughter. Once in a while we get rid of one that we have checked and sell by the head instead of slaughter. I don't want to pawn my problems off on someone else but if they buy here from the slaughter pen they take the risk.
Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner!

dun":68ufmfa4 said:
tom4018":68ufmfa4 said:
Most of the time if we are getting rid o one I don't think she should go to some one else I let her go for slaughter. Once in a while we get rid of one that we have checked and sell by the head instead of slaughter. I don't want to pawn my problems off on someone else but if they buy here from the slaughter pen they take the risk.

Wow I won something! :banana:
Hope it is a good prize. :lol:

wacocowboy":1js9ytgd said:
If you don't want to risk getting screwed at the barn do what the big boys do and sell straight to the feed lots. My buddy sells truck loads straight to feedlot gets top price for all sound cattle and no commission. Only thing he sells at the barn are cripples and dinks.
You had better know who you are dealing with too. Remember the Eastern Livestock blowup?

I buy a fair amount of old poor bred cows. If I 've got some good grass it can be very good money. I like em to be aged and pregged. I see nothing wrong with putting info on the side of a cow. It's a auction buyer beware.

If you 're really concerned about dumping a bad one on someone. When you load her just paint. " this cow is $/):;@ up!! On her side.. ;-) :hide:

callmefence":3as2u5gl said:
I buy a fair amount of old poor bred cows. If I 've got some good grass it can be very good money. I like em to be aged and pregged. I see nothing wrong with putting info on the side of a cow. It's a auction buyer beware.

If you 're really concerned about dumping a bad one on someone. When you load her just paint. " this cow is $/):;@ up!! On her side.. ;-) :hide:

There is good money with old heavy bred cows. I have done pretty good with old pairs. I never expose the old ones to a bull and just send them straight through as slaughter.

dun":2al21g7y said:
tom4018":2al21g7y said:

Maybe this should go in the "How to start an argument on the internet" thread, but I don't see anything wrong with taking a cow to the auction and having her palpated if she's less than perfect. Just because she doesn't work for me doesn't mean she won't work for someone else. And just to be clear, I'm talking about something like a cow with an attitude problem, or a bag that I don't like the looks of. I wouldn't do that with a cow that was diseased, or had prolapsed.

Besides, anyone that buys a cow at the auction barn and is later surprised when she turns out to have some issue shouldn't be allowed out of the house without a keeper.

Latest posts