sale barn shafted me

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":1cku2rw6 said:
I wouldn't care for that at all. Run through ring I watch the bid per calf and the weight on the scale.
Somebody would get hurt here trying that by a mob.

All the barns here do that, no other choices here.

tom4018":3jll633a said:
Craig Miller":3jll633a said:
Here if your calf gets a tag it means it did not grade and you will be unhappy. Graded feeders do not get tagged, only calves that did not grade, slaughter cows/bulls and cows sold by the head get tagged.

How do you know which are yours?

PAid on the weight on arrival and all the feeders are co-mingled if they grade.[/quote]

Based on what sale price? Does everybody get the same price per pound is what I'm asking I guess and how is that price set?

tom4018":23vavoa4 said:
Caustic Burno":23vavoa4 said:
I wouldn't care for that at all. Run through ring I watch the bid per calf and the weight on the scale.
Somebody would get hurt here trying that by a mob.

All the barns here do that, no other choices here.

Sounds like a back room screwing to me.
Here the calf gets bid on out in the open for everyone to see and the buyers bidding.
You know there is competition for the beef
Seen the sale start at 1 pm in Crockett go until every calf went through the ring if it takes 10 or 12 hours.

http://www.easttexaslivestock.com/market-reports/
Go to the sales everyone of those cows went through the ring, today was lite
Seen as high 2500 head go through.

I'd be miffed if my calves were comingled with others... Impossible to build any kind of a reputation that way, and if your calves are the better ones of the bunch, you're getting screwed on the price

Nesikep":ij3s7agg said:
I'd be miffed if my calves were comingled with others... Impossible to build any kind of a reputation that way, and if your calves are the better ones of the bunch, you're getting screwed on the price
Miffed rotflmao that was funny.
It would be count the bodies here in the barn after the smoke cleared.
I can see the headlines local sale barn owner commits suicide by multiple gun shot wounds, stabbing
and hanging himself.

cowgirl8":3dy7wz8g said:
Caustic Burno":3dy7wz8g said:
Chicken shyt fed cattle is the least bedazzling thing I can think of.
Have you ever thought your chickens have come home to roost.
With your personality alone I can understand buyers docking your cattle.
More than one way to skin a cat.
Skin this cat, if you can do math, we'll start out with 37 years in business. We use to lease land along with our 2600 acres and ran over 300 mother cows over those years. Maybe back in 2000, we cut back and let the lease land go so we averaged about 250 mother cows. We'll be conservative and say we averaged, in just calves and not culled cows, 250 hauled to the sale yearly...
I'll admit, i had to get a calculator out....so, a low estimate is over the years we've sold.....9250 over those years... I'd say we have considerable experience with sale barns... way more than someone with a hobby....
Yep, just couldn't help yourself could you?
:bang:

TennesseeTuxedo":3abupewb said:
Tom, we sell our hobby calves at the Owenton sale barn and they are sold individually or in similar sized/sexed groups belonging to the person who brought them. And grouping is done after they've been purchased.

Little different way of doing things from here but it makes sense.
Never heard of anything as screwed up as what Tom was talking about.
My premium calves are not getting commingled and sold in a lot with someone else's
Took too many years to get here.

It's been discussed here before, but sale barns definitely work different in different parts of the country. At the ones I'm familiar with your cattle are tagged in the trailer before you unload them. They're run through the ring and bid on one at a time (with a few exceptions), and weighed on the way out.

cowgirl8":3rb6zste said:
sometimes the tags fall off...that i understand.

That I do not understand. Getting the tag off is difficult. Getting the glue residue off is worse. There's two tags so both would have to "fall off".

My hobby calves didn't get tagged at the sale barn here. They are sold as a lot by weight and sex. They did not commingling with the others' hobby calves. Uniformity is important here....bigger group, you fetch premium price for them. They just set up the surveillance videos at the ring and at unloading/loading areas.

I've seen a few calves and mature cows come through the ring without a tag over the years. They would simply tag the calf or cow while in the ring and sell it. I have no idea how they know who the calf belonged to.

backhoeboogie":d73noz7s said:
cowgirl8":d73noz7s said:
sometimes the tags fall off...that i understand.

That I do not understand. Getting the tag off is difficult. Getting the glue residue off is worse. There's two tags so both would have to "fall off".
I worked my way through college and even after I graduated working at several different sale barns. Started out as an alley hand and have done every job at a sale barn except auctioneer. I have seen about every kind of foul up possible. Most of the time the glue works well, but I have seen a bad batch of glue that caused numerous "no tag" calves. In those cases you hope the write up man did a good job with descriptions like rmf hf cf (red mottled face heifer calf) instead of rwf or red calf.

We are required to have RFID ear tags here.. any calf that escapes their pen (the little guys are good at sneaking through) just have to take a run through the scanner to see who they belong to (tags are registered to the ranch at time of purchase).

Local barn does group similar size and type of calf from a single seller here too... that makes perfect sense.

TexasBred":suddfqfl said:
I've seen a few calves and mature cows come through the ring without a tag over the years. They would simply tag the calf or cow while in the ring and sell it. I have no idea how they know who the calf belonged to.
At the end of the sale, the office help compares the scale ticket description to the drive in slip description of any un sold animals.

Locally every single critter gets a tag. Over at Toppenish they often don't tag big bunches. But I am talking about multiple pot loads from the same ranch. They will use a marker crayon to make for quick identification. Two green slashes on the right hip, one green one the left shoulder, etc. But all of those calves are branded. In fact I am pretty sure that 90% of the calves at those sales are branded. So ownership is permanently attached to the calf. They are sold based on weight on the ring scale. I have seen them fill the ring with 50 600 weights steers, weigh them and run them off, fill it again, and then again, then sell all 150 steers in one shot. The big fall run feeder sales they will sell 3,000 calves in three hours. The few times they accidently get two owners calves in the ring at the same time they will sell one owners calves, sort them off, and then sell the other persons calves.

Dave, they do that here as well.. though it's rare, usually it's groups of about 30 or so for bigger lots. It's one of the reasons I'm trying to get more uniformity in my calves for nicer lots and less splitting off. I no longer have different groups based on coloring, usually it's just by weight now.. a lot of 4 wts, a lot of 5 wts, and a lot of 6wts, one set for heifers, and one for steers.

Latest posts