Sale barn pairs

Help Support CattleToday:

DCA farm

Reaction score
Buying pairs from
Sale barn what's the first couple things you do as soon as you got then to the farm. Way things are going around here slot of people are selling whole herds or decent pairs because they don't have the hay to feed em. Location south west Louisiana and I have enough pastures to keep them separated out of current herd

Watch what you buy. Cows and cow calf pairs are typically at the sales barn for a reason and it's never a good one.

I have bought lots of sale barn pairs and breds. I always put them down the chute immediately after unloading. Along with a good vaccination program I also give them a good blast of antibiotics. They have been stressed and exposed to a lot of bugs at the barn. The antibiotics get a jump start on curing any potential problems. The vaccinations work to counteract future sickness. The antibiotics work to kill any bugs in their system at that time.

holm25":2bu070pc said:
Watch what you buy. Cows and cow calf pairs are typically at the sales barn for a reason and it's never a good one.
Not true! There are many different reasons why they're at the sale. Usually from short hay storage or people switched from commercial to registered herds or switch their current breed to another breed or that they're not fitting in their programs.

Muddy":1uan3587 said:
holm25":1uan3587 said:
Not true! There are many different reasons why they're at the sale. Usually from short hay storage or people switched from commercial to registered herds or switch their current breed to another breed or that they're not fitting in their programs.

Yep, 3 or 4 of my best Mama cows came from a sale barn. I knew what I was buyin' when I bought em though.

I'd ear notch both the cows and calves for BVD PI's before letting them any where near the herd. That is if you are confident your herd is clean.

Ken

wbvs58":1ury5els said:
I'd ear notch both the cows and calves for BVD PI's before letting them any where near the herd. That is if you are confident your herd is clean.

Ken
How long does it take to be sure that your herd is really clean? A negative cow can have a positive calf or so I understand.

Muddy":3unopie4 said:
holm25":3unopie4 said:
I sold some in Oct, cows had 3 month old calves on them & bred back. These cows were born on this ranch, great mama's, docile (hand-feeders, loved to be petted) but I'm trying to get back to Spring calving only.

TCRanch":3ohctme7 said:
Muddy":3ohctme7 said:
holm25":3ohctme7 said:
I sold some in Oct, cows had 3 month old calves on them & bred back. These cows were born on this ranch, great mama's, docile (hand-feeders, loved to be petted) but I'm trying to get back to Spring calving only.
Did you replace those with spring calvers??

ALACOWMAN":1bgdee67 said:
TCRanch":1bgdee67 said:
Muddy":1bgdee67 said:
Did you replace those with spring calvers??
I hope so! I have 6 bred heifers from last year that should start calving 2/26 & I just kept back 7 heifers from this years crop.

I have 20 momma cows from the sale barn. They out produced some of the registered Angus and all of Simmental for a place to live. I culled through 60+ cows to get the 20 though. I don't give antibiotics when I bring sale barn cows home, but I do vaccinate and worm them. I have a couple of sale barn smokies that are about as good as a cow can get. IMO

True Grit Farms":2d2u3z0d said:
I have 20 momma cows from the sale barn. They out produced some of the registered Angus and all of Simmental for a place to live. I culled through 60+ cows to get the 20 though. I don't give antibiotics when I bring sale barn cows home, but I do vaccinate and worm them. I have a couple of sale barn smokies that are about as good as a cow can get. IMO
There were quite a few breds & pairs at the sale today & only a few of them sold as butcher/canner. Prices seemed to be up.

it would be nice if the sale barn cows would come with a quick story from the seller. like late calver, mean bi itch, bad feet, or real good cows just selling out, needed christmas money, etc. it really wouldnt take a extra 10 seconds per cow through the ring

MtnCows93":3o6eeod9 said:
it would be nice if the sale barn cows would come with a quick story from the seller. like late calver, mean bi itch, bad feet, or real good cows just selling out, needed christmas money, etc. it really wouldnt take a extra 10 seconds per cow through the ring

I tell em when I take em, they are friends of mine, I'm honest. When I take good calves, they bring good money though. Buyers ain't stupid in small communities.

MtnCows93":34sn60jo said:

A good percentage of the stories told are lacking in the truth or at least the entire story. Better to learn to trust you eyes. For years I bought 50-60 head of breds and pairs every year. They weren't all winners but I got better over time. Education isn't cheap if it is at a university or at the sale yard.

jehosofat":38y3fdqw said:
MtnCows93":38y3fdqw said:

I tell em when I take em, they are friends of mine, I'm honest. When I take good calves, they bring good money though. Buyers ain't stupid in small communities.
buyers ain't stupid in large communities either..are they don't stay buyers long..

Dave":bbph5b4g said:
MtnCows93":bbph5b4g said:

A good percentage of the stories told are lacking in the truth or at least the entire story. Better to learn to trust you eyes. For years I bought 50-60 head of breds and pairs every year. They weren't all winners but I got better over time. Education isn't cheap if it is at a university or at the sale yard.
na most people aint gonna lie about a cow, obviously take everything people say with a grain of salt but most people wouldnt pull shiot like that

Latest posts