Round baler suggestions?

Help Support CattleToday:

OhioFarmer87

Reaction score
I am looking at getting a new round baler. Not buying a brand new but a good used. I have been looking at the New Holland 644. Seem to be a decent baler for the money. I am buying one with net wrap. I want a quality baler but don't want to pay $30k for one. Got a budget of about $15k. Anyone have any suggestions? I use a John Deere 375 now. Good baler just tired of strings. Thanks in advance!

I like the fully automatic Hesston balers (560/565/956 etc.) and the equivalent Case IH balers (8465, etc.). Can buy 2 of them nowadays for less than 15k. Georgia hunting neighbors that farm down in central Georgia have the newer series Massey and JD balers and just love the Massey baler, runs laps around the JD. Lots of them (Hesston's) around here and no Case or Agco dealer support. You can also sometimes buy a 2nd monitor for them on Ebay cheap. Parts are cheap as well. NH parts are terribly expensive. Not very many NH balers here and there is dealer support here for them, but after you replace a few parts, you realize why there aren't many around. One neighbor is diehard NH (I think the only one around here that is) and I would not want his parts bill. He is always talking about how high it is.

New Holland 644 or BR7070, John Deere 466 or 467, Vermeer 604 or 505. I have no experience with Hesston because of no dealers here. I would just look for the baler I could buy with the least amount of bales run through it and best kept for the money. All of them work and all of them break. I run a JD567 now and have had good luck with John Deere but its the Chevy, Dodge, Ford thing and everyone has their favorite.

B&M Farms":3qhf374i said:
New Holland 644 or BR7070, John Deere 466 or 467, Vermeer 604 or 505. I have no experience with Hesston because of no dealers here. I would just look for the baler I could buy with the least amount of bales run through it and best kept for the money. All of them work and all of them break. I run a JD567 now and have had good luck with John Deere but its the Chevy, Dodge, Ford thing and everyone has their favorite.
+1

Most common balers areound here are JD 435's and 535's. Hardly ever see any other makes. If you could go 1 generation newer that's what I would do. And did last year.

Defiantly go with a new holland and net wrap. There's alot of difference in a 644 and then a newer BR baler. You can probably afford a BR with what your wanting to spend, and that's what I would buy.

Whatever you get, insure that there is a reputable servicing dealer near by.

644 is a goid dependable baler $15k is way too much money for it tho should be in the $8k range
For $15 k you should be able to get a BR 7060
I have ran 10s of thousands of balers thru NH balers and I have no complaints
A couple things to check is the chains sprockets and the sledge roll gears for wear

My two cents worth is to get a Vermeer. We bought a Vermeer 5410 Rebel and it has changed our complete outlook on baling. It has the options for string or netwrap as with many others. Easy to use, maintain, work on (as with any baler there will be issues). But i did not know what it was like to go out and bale hay (thick or thin) and not have to babysit the equipment. As stated earlier, make sure that you have a viable dealer for any brand that you select. Part availability is key.

etmountianman71":1xqqdd0v said:
My two cents worth is to get a Vermeer. We bought a Vermeer 5410 Rebel and it has changed our complete outlook on baling. It has the options for string or netwrap as with many others. Easy to use, maintain, work on (as with any baler there will be issues). But i did not know what it was like to go out and bale hay (thick or thin) and not have to babysit the equipment. As stated earlier, make sure that you have a viable dealer for any brand that you select. Part availability is key.
I am sorry you bought a vermeer haha

I figured your fingers would've been frozen by now. Easy on the Vermeer, I need to look at New Holland I guess.

Thank you all for the responses. Looks like many good choices. I found a john deere to go look at this week and a couple new Hollands. Not many massey or Vermeer in my area that are nice. I wouldn't mind a claas either but they are pretty pricey. But seen one of them work...wow it was nice

I've had two balers. I bought both of them used.

* JD 435, twine tie. OK baler, was never wowed by it. Pretty tempermental about starting the bale. Twine tie was not exactly error free alot of times.
* JD 467, net wrap. Really been a nice and dependable baler (once I quit trying to use the "coveredge" net wrap). Hands down better than the 435 model. Think I've had it now for like 7 seasons or so?

For me, I would only consider a JD ("7" series or later) or a Vermeer. I've never used a New Holland so I really can't provide much input on that. As far as that goes, I've never used a Vermeer but know folks who do and like them very much.

What I will say is to give a look at how the net wrap is installed. The JD is (IMHO) by far the most easy and convenient of those three brands as far as putting in the net wrap. I like loading from the rear (since that is where the bale wrap is stored) instead of the front, so that eliminates New Holland for me.

I know it is a JD video, but still worth watching this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEtLbsXYjD4

Angus Cowman":1s65rmmx said:
etmountianman71":1s65rmmx said:
I am sorry you bought a vermeer haha

Okay, got to ask why you think that?

After looking into this for a year and going into the field and watching several different brands, several different types of forage, and several different auctions (to see what was holding the price), i chose the best option.

Super glad i made that choice as it is as i stated earlier. Extremely dependable and puts up a good bale of hay. Funny thing is after speaking with dealers here in the south east and across the country, several of them noted that different manufactures have the same basic design pros and cons.
:deadhorse:

I have used JD's, NH's, and a Hesston but the Kuhn that I have now will out bale anything that I have ever pulled.

+1 on a used Hesston if you have an AGCO or CIH dealer nearby. IIRC, the CIH RS561 is the identical twin to the Hesston 856 in IH paint.

My 856A was about $30K new in 2000. Been a good baler. Last year I had it gone through at the dealer and got anything fixed that needed it.

Main thing was they cut off all the belts (original) and put new splices them. Some of the splices were looking pretty ratty and I was afraid if one gave out it would wreck that belt.

A few other minor things added up to around $2K. I hope it's good to go with minimal attention for another 10 yrs.

My baler could use net or twine but mine is set up as a twine only machine. I'm sure the cost to add net now to an older baler using new parts is likely prohibitive.

highgrit":1vzmn2ot said:
I figured your fingers would've been frozen by now. Easy on the Vermeer, I need to look at New Holland I guess.
Naw fingers arent frozen but will be a little chilly wednesday morning sposed to be 5 and then windchill will make it below 0
Sending Jed to Ks tomorrow so atleast he won't be in the way of us getting the work done

Latest posts