Registered Breeds that allow breedup to purebred

Help Support CattleToday:

2oldtoquit

Reaction score
In today's registered cattle breeds with so many black colored cattle can anyone name the breeds that allow breedup programs?

Easier to name the ones that don;t, black Angus and Hereford. There may be a couple of the samller breed associaitons that don;t but I don;t know which ones. All of the continental breeds allow it, Red Angus allows it as does Shorthorn

dun":18hqsjh0 said:
Easier to name the ones that don;t, black Angus and Hereford. There may be a couple of the samller breed associaitons that don;t but I don;t know which ones. All of the continental breeds allow it, Red Angus allows it as does Shorthorn
As far as I know the Brangus assn. doesn't allow it.

TexasBred":3llrohj0 said:
dun":3llrohj0 said:
As far as I know the Brangus assn. doesn't allow it.
TB -- Really? Aren't Brangus the X of BA and Brahma? But they don't allow x-breds?

Kathie in Thorp":w9excafx said:
Aren't Brangus the X of BA and Brahma? But they don't allow x-breds?
Brangus has an appendix program for the original breeds to follow the specific cross to make brangus. You can't just breed to a brangus bull for a few generations and have registered brangus.

2oldtoquit":174pog4k said:
In today's registered cattle breeds with so many black colored cattle can anyone name the breeds that allow breedup programs?
In Simmental you have to at least start with a registered F1 (e.g. PB Angus x percentage Simmental)

JS

by 'registered F1' do you mean both parents have to be registered by their respective breed societies?

dun":x8qbagxu said:

Galloways DO NOT have a breed up program. White Galloways used to, Belted Galloways did, and some still do.

dun":hs7gm0u4 said:
from the looks of that bull on craigslist,,, they allow you to breed down

ALACOWMAN":2lkshdh9 said:
dun":2lkshdh9 said:
from the looks of that bull on craigslist,,, they allow you to breed down
Yep...got some "registered" members. ;-)

The AAA condones it as well. They just mandate you come in through the back door:

1985 Houston Grand Champion Angus

I don't see anything wrong with an "open" herdbook as long as it is clearly stated on the registration papers what the percentage is. And, if the standards for "purebred" status are high enough. This policy has enabled a lot of breeds to get polled genetics.

Although I gotta say I saw a very convincing speech one time, arguing against an open herdbook. The analagy was, if I take a cup of water and a cup of urine and mix them together, then add another cup of water and another cup of water and so on, how long until you would consider it "pure" water and drink it??? :shock:

MO_cows":eupqouhs said:
I don't see anything wrong with an "open" herdbook as long as it is clearly stated on the registration papers what the percentage is. And, if the standards for "purebred" status are high enough. This policy has enabled a lot of breeds to get polled genetics.

Although I gotta say I saw a very convincing speech one time, arguing against an open herdbook. The analagy was, if I take a cup of water and a cup of urine and mix them together, then add another cup of water and another cup of water and so on, how long until you would consider it "pure" water and drink it??? :shock:
Depends on how thirsty you get
:cowboy:

MO_cows":1brbcf3c said:

Drought isn't that bad yet!

Latest posts