Really irritates me..................

Help Support CattleToday:

Dun, not trying to change the subject but I think most of us here prefer someone who is willing to give advice. Gives us something else to think about. Maybe let us look at the situation from a different angle. You are right, that feedback would be helpful. Myself, I appreciate advice cause it makes me think everything through cause I like to do something just once and be done with it. On the other spectrum, there are those who for some reason choose not to give advice. These folks irritate the fire out of me. Particular person that comes to mind is so tight-lipped with advice who would think he wants to see you fail. This particular person I'm thinking of will watch you do something and when it doesn't come out right - he will reply - I wondered why you were doing it this way. You should have ...... :mad: This irritates the snot out of me. How do you do a shouldhave?

yeah it's irritating...but as a relative newbie here I have to say Dun , I have learned a heck of a lot of good info from the senior members of this site , kind of like having that old neighbor to call when ya got a question. It has been invaluable to me as in my first couple years raising cattle. A big ole thanks to all of ya ! :tiphat:

KMacGinley":2dffe3gx said:
My favorites are the ones that come on here totally ignorant and 2 months later are dispensing advice like an expert. :)

Ain't that the truth. I know that I've been on here for some time and still feel like an idiot. The one thing that I noticed quick after joining is that dun was always there and was always giving advice.

It's not said often enough, but to dun and the others, a big thanks!

Hey dun I just don't know where I would be without your help, advise and paitence for my ignorance.
When I ask for help or vent on here I listen to what everybody has to say and yes I admit I am also hard headed on something, but after reading again and again what is said it does get through my thick skull.

So don't let those one time wonders bug you, they just aren't worth the time, but the replies they generate are worth learning.

kscowboy":11vno9i0 said:
yeah it's irritating...but as a relative newbie here I have to say Dun , I have learned a heck of a lot of good info from the senior members of this site , kind of like having that old neighbor to call when ya got a question. It has been invaluable to me as in my first couple years raising cattle. A big ole thanks to all of ya ! :tiphat:

I would second this!!

Well the ones that bother me are when they have a very sick animal and after being told to get a vet ,because they will need to be in contact with one anyways to get meds, post day after day that the animal is not doing better and they have been treating with la200. :roll:

The very worst was the post about the cow stuck in the mud at the bottom of a cliff. This person was told many many times to run, not walk, to neighbors and get help as they didn't have even a tractor. Not only did they ignore all the advice, they had time to take and post pics of the poor cow.. :mad: I think in case like that the last place you should be is chatting on a cattle board...

I love the fact that if a problem arises in the middle of the night that I need advice or usually reassurance there is always a reply, whether from Dun, Angie or anyone else that is up at unusual hours.. :)

I'm guessing that the one hit wonders do it because they seek some type of reassurance for the problem that they are in. There are literally hundreds of "members" with one post to their credit. I would say go with the discussion; it will probably help someone else.

I used to get irritated, when I first started, when the thread was hijacked. I actually thought that my threads should be free of posts directing the thread elsewhere. Seems absurd/selfish now to think that.

A couple comments come to mind on this problem of folks asking for advice and never or delayed posting back:

I ask a questions on things, check back often to see if there are replies, but I do not always post an immediate thankyou as I hate to be the one to bump the post back up to the top of the list when I haven't really added anything new of interest to take folks time to open and read it.... My request for advice on shipping beef is an example. I look at it often for replies but don't say thank you and bump it up to the top without adding some new information. I will say thank you to all replies when it looks like there won't be any more.

I heartily agree that on these "sick calf" posts it would be interesting to see what course of action was taken and the result. However from some friends' experience, these types of dairy bull calf/bottle calf situations often result in a dead calf, almost regardless of action taken and the original poster is hesitant to post admitting the animal died. I think this might be understandable.

A thank you is certainly deserved for most of the advice offerred here.

And to Kay - about some of the posters on here as beginners offerring advice shortly thereafter....

Many of the "beginners" posting on here may be new to this board but are not beginners at all and may have good often different viewpoints and advice to offer. And some true beginners in cattle may in fact have much other agricultural experience to offer. And beginners with some relevant recent experience, good or bad, can help other beginners too.

As long as this is a 'clear your chest' thread, what really irritates me is when someone makes a post with NO indication at all of their geographic location! Even if its just pictures of some new heifers, etc, almost everything in agriculture is somewhat "site-specific". Advice which applies in Texas or Florida may be very different from advice for Minnesota, Wisconsin or Alberta. I just don't understand why people can't put at least a state somewhere in their post or avitar.

I have received some very useful information here from many of you experienced cattle folks. For example on bull management in a small herd from Angie. It saved me from selling a very good bull. I have contributed some new experience such as drilling red clover into existing sod and its positive effects as the weather and pastures dried up this past summer.

Most of the advice received here is applicable but some good advice just doesn't fit my situation. But we can learn from both. Thank you for both kinds.

whell while we are all venting, it really irritates me when Cypressfarms, Milesvb, and Joy of Texas disappear and dont post pictures of big ears for months at a time.

Beefy":213wk3g9 said:
whell while we are all venting, it really irritates me when Cypressfarms, Milesvb, and Joy of Texas disappear and dont post pictures of big ears for months at a time.

Sorry Beefy, I'll try not to disappoint you in the future. We all have "personal" lives and sometimes that takes over. My latest disappearance had more to do with an irritating member than anything else. I'd been gone so long that I forgot my password - that's bad!

Beefy":p2w71roj said:

You haven't been too diligent with posting your pics either, lately! I always enjoyed your pics, take the camera out more often and come share them, please.

I haven't been on this board long but it didn't long to see there are some top notch people on here with good advice. I don't post much because I'm not good at it & don't have much advice to offer but I sure get alot out of it.

Beefy":3da9dy6d said:
FORGIVE ME :oops: Beefy,I am sorry. By the time I would finally even get to leave work. It was dark and I hate pictures of cows with white eyes. I was doing good to check on them (cows) a few minutes a week. I only got to check in here when I was done cooking supper throwing a load of clothes into wash take a shower. I did not spend very much time online. For that I am sorry.
My sons calf was not sick anyway shape or form. Yes her ears got bigger ,but there is no cure for that. :lol2:
It will never happen again. I'll post so many pictures you will be sick of looking at them.

Latest posts