Where my fault finder is leading me...

Help Support CattleToday:

ccattleco

Reaction score
I'm still a beginner at electric fences.. but learning everyday! I know this is not a bad short but I'm trying to do this the right way.. what's the problem here? Should I have crimped it twice? Front what I read and had seen in pictures it looked like this type of crimps only needed to be crimped once B01A0B87-361F-4D3C-917C-BB7551C526F9.jpeg

The fault could be to the right or up.
Wherever that goes
All the other wires are checking out fine, and if I go right the amps go back down so I think the problem is where it's crimped.. just don't know why or if I did something wrong

What does the finder say if u go upwards?

I spose it could be a bad crimp but idk how it would short to anything. High resistance maybe. Easy to run a jumper from one side of the crimp to the other and see if it goes away

i don't pay it anymind if it still shows good amount of juice, when it reads 9 or 10 then you know you have a real short. i have seen this much reading just going down the line & you find nothing then when you go farther it reads the other way

Put a tight crimp on the short wire going thru the clamp around the long wire and read it again. I'm guessing the clamp may not be as
secure as it looks.

It appears that the top wire is not insulated. What is above it? Lee VanRoss may be correct, but if the two uninsulated wires are touching even with the crimp, it should not be showing a fault.

What does the finder say if u go upwards?

I spose it could be a bad crimp but idk how it would short to anything. High resistance maybe. Easy to run a jumper from one side of the crimp to the other and see if it goes away
I can't remember exactly what it was reading when I went upwards but it didn't catch my attention. I'll have to check again tomorrow.

It appears that the top wire is not insulated. What is above it? Lee VanRoss may be correct, but if the two uninsulated wires are touching even with the crimp, it should not be showing a fault.
Above it is another strand of wire, this is the jumper wire.

I'm just not seeing how the crimp is causing it. Need to put the fault finder on that wire above like everyone else has said. If that doesn't lead you somewhere else i guess i would just attached that wire directly without the crimp and see what it says.

If you put the fault finder on the other side of the crimp, does the arrow change and point left? Which way does it point when you put in the jumper wire?

Fault finders are handy, but they are not perfect. This seems to be more of a puzzle rather than a problem.

Agreed. They are super handy, but the readings can be erroneous at times.

In your case, you should move it to the right of the crimp. If it points to the left, the short lies wherever that jumper wire runs to, if the arrows goes to the right, then it is along that wire somewhere.

Unless you are losing a lot of voltage, I don't usually chase losses that are less than 10 amps. At that point you are looking grass touching the wire, leakage through underground wires, or other things that are not easily fixed or found.

Your crimp is likely fine, you just have a small voltage loss somewhere else.

I don't have a clue what I'm talking about but could the crimp be corroded because of dissimilar metals?
Dead on. The aluminum crimps will quit caring current and will also erode the steel wire to break in about 10 years. They ought to be declared illegal. That has been such a pain here before I knew I had been duped. Throw them away, get those off of all of the wires and replace them with short steel crimps or connector bolts. Or else this will be a true "I told you so moment" for you in 7 to 10 years.