Spring is in the air

Help Support CattleToday:

We had daffodils blooming in mid-February and only the latest blooming varieties remain.
We had an early spring and prolonged winter (if that makes sense). I am still feeding a little hay to the cows.
It has been in the low 40s since Monday and supposed to get down to 29 tonight.
I have been putting out hay since the middle of September due to drought last year and a slow start to grass this spring.

5 months of hay fed this winter, last winter was a little over 2 months. Slow grass so far but just completed the first rotation......... time for a beer!

I raise every class of animal life here except amphibians.
Mammals (cattle, horses, dog, husband, pet rats),
Birds (laying hens),
Fish (goldfish water trough mosquito control),
Reptiles (3 baby Alligator lizards overwintering in a terrarium)
and Insects (honeybees)

On April Fools Day my bees played a trick. 1/2 the hive population left with the queen. This is called swarming and bees do this when they feel too crowded. The migrants hang in a mass, usually a ways off in the top of highest tree but could be on the grill of your truck, while the scouts look for a new place to live. Here is the swarm in a nearby pear tree within reachable height.
100_2472.JPG

Fortunately I had an empty new hive to put them in. The swarm branch was cut and carefully placed in the new hive seen in the background. This swarm weighed about 6lbs. That is about 24,000 bees.
The old hive will create a new queen by feeding chosen larvae Royal Jelly. However emerges first stings the competition to death. Then she flys out and mates with the local riffraff drones, returns and lays fertile eggs. This is how honeybees reproduce in the wild by swarming, usually in the Spring.

Last edited:
Daffodils blooming in the flower bed. The apricot tree in the back yard is in full bloom. Fresh snow this morning on the hill just a little above the house. Yep, sure signs of spring here in Baker County.

View attachment 43239View attachment 43240View attachment 43241
I was in Lowes a couple of weeks before Thanksgiving to get some seed starter mix and saw that they had a big crate full of daffodils, tulips, crocus, and Irises in bags. I asked the manager who was rearranging the stock if he would like to make a deal on the whole crate, It was late in the season to plant them but I have planted them late before and they did ok. I wound up buying the whole crate full, had over 1000 daffodils in it, I got started planting them that weekend and got a phone call that my mother took a spill, come to find out it was a stroke. Had a lot of things to take care of including my mom after that so didn't get any of the rest planted. I had a some of the galvanized metal trashcans with lids that I kept feed in and just packed the bulbs in them planning on finishing the planting. My mother passed away just before Christmas and after taking care of her needs for the time we had her at my house, I had gotten behind on many things. I have a regular day job that requires travel for weeks at a time.

This passed Saturday, I opened one of the trashcans and the bulbs had all sprouted through the netting of the bags like a bag of onions, They were all still alive, couldn't believe it. I got my batteries all charged up for my drill and all day Easter Sunday I planted bulbs. While I was planting, I recalled lots of great memories of my mom and dad and a few others that have passed away. It was a good day, I will remember this Easter everytime they bloom.

I was in Lowes a couple of weeks before Thanksgiving to get some seed starter mix and saw that they had a big crate full of daffodils, tulips, crocus, and Irises in bags. I asked the manager who was rearranging the stock if he would like to make a deal on the whole crate, It was late in the season to plant them but I have planted them late before and they did ok. I wound up buying the whole crate full, had over 1000 daffodils in it, I got started planting them that weekend and got a phone call that my mother took a spill, come to find out it was a stroke. Had a lot of things to take care of including my mom after that so didn't get any of the rest planted. I had a some of the galvanized metal trashcans with lids that I kept feed in and just packed the bulbs in them planning on finishing the planting. My mother passed away just before Christmas and after taking care of her needs for the time we had her at my house, I had gotten behind on many things. I have a regular day job that requires travel for weeks at a time.

This passed Saturday, I opened one of the trashcans and the bulbs had all sprouted through the netting of the bags like a bag of onions, They were all still alive, couldn't believe it. I got my batteries all charged up for my drill and all day Easter Sunday I planted bulbs. While I was planting, I recalled lots of great memories of my mom and dad and a few others that have passed away. It was a good day, I will remember this Easter everytime they bloom.
Thanks for sharing.So sorry about your mom ! Special memories of our moms keep our hearts warm on cold days . Bet your mom instilled the love of flowers in you . Believe it or not , my big , tough guy dad , shared his loved of flowers and gardening with me .

Sorry about your mom, but love the story about the bulbs... It will be a great remembrance next year when they bloom. Hopefully, they will grow enough to "feed" the bulbs this year and be able to come back nicely next year.

I got a couple of those "tacky" lighted walkway type lights, on the 2 ft tall slender rods, in the shape of hummingbirds last year at TSC when they went on clearance... they have little solar panels and after dark they have multicolor lights, that change colors in a series... just because my mom loved hummingbirds... I look at them and smile thinking about her... this year I added a couple of other ones, just for the fun......

I started feeding around the first of November. Fed the last bale yesterday. I wouldn't have started feeding so early but last year's calves had ate all the regrowth in the meadows. And I had started buying new cows. Wasn't on full feed until some time in December..

Latest posts