Really irritates me..................

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Something that really POs me is when someone will ask for advice/suggestions on a porblem that is relatively urgent and then never come back on line afterwards. I see a lot of people that will join just to ask one thing then not log on again after that first post.

Along the same line... I have a neighbour that will drive through the entire valley asking for advice (I get the idea he is trying to justify his own silly ideas more than anything) then he'll go ahead and do exectly what he planned in the first place regardless of the fact that the whole neighbourhood advised him against it.

KNERSIE":1cuwment said:
Along the same line... I have a neighbour that will drive through the entire valley asking for advice (I get the idea he is trying to justify his own silly ideas more than anything) then he'll go ahead and do exectly what he planned in the first place regardless of the fact that the whole neighbourhood advised him against it.

been there done that. i don't waste my time on them anymore knowing that they won't listen to me.

I totally agree. Dun, you always try to make it a point to help someone out and offer your advice. Some of these folks ask a question and never even look to see if someone took the time to help them. Really unfortunate.

Knersie, I can relate. People come to you for help, and then still go against your advice. I typically don't give my advice or tell someone what they should do unless it is asked for, but if it is asked for, I would think they would take it.

Dad use to always ask us boys, well this is how I would do it, how would you do it? After telling him our method, he would still do it his way. I think he was just trying to teach us to try and come up with varying ways to fix something or solve a problem.

dun":33e8qyu8 said:
Something that really POs me is when someone will ask for advice/suggestions on a porblem that is relatively urgent and then never come back on line afterwards. I see a lot of people that will join just to ask one thing then not log on again after that first post.

Kinda like sticking your hand out...getting something you wanted, then turn around and leaving without saying a word.

Yes it is very irritating. Before when I couldn't be on everyday. I would start a story and never got the ending.After awhile I figure out they are not coming back. So why waste everyones time. But then again I think ok they got busy or forgot where this site is.

Ticks me off too. I have made it a practice on some forums to ask for more information when a new member posts, and wait for them to reply before I spend any time on an answer. They don't get their answer as quick, but I don't waste any time typing for somebody who isn't going to read it.

jkwilson":1s1bc41w said:
Ticks me off too. I have made it a practice on some forums to ask for more information when a new member posts, and wait for them to reply before I spend any time on an answer. They don't get their answer as quick, but I don't waste any time typing for somebody who isn't going to read it.

Just remember that even if they never come back your answer can help the next person when they search.
It is annoying. I remember one person in particular that I was coming on and checking the board and we went back and forth for awhile and then they never told me if the calf made it. I would have like to know...

My day job is literally giving people advice and helping them implement it. We have had people come in asking advice on where to build a barn. We go out look at the farm. They want to build in the middle of a draw, which we tell them is a bad idea and why it is a bad idea. They build it there anyway because that is where they want it to be. Then have the same people come back in the winter because the water in running in the front door of the barn and out the back. And now they want help curing this problem.

dun":17vx09sh said:

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:
Glad I'm not alone. Really annoying.

Katherine

I guess I find the same things frustrating at times .I try to give the best advice I can, if they take it fine, if they don't, that's ok too . For me the thing that counts is that I've done the best I can, just like when I'm taking care of my own cattle . The rest is up to them .

Larry

dun":1pqhkepx said:

I rarely post but read often but I would say you (Dun) got bigger fish to fry than worrying about people on this forum that you'll probably never meet. It's the internet and if there is one thing you can count on it's you can't count on anything for sure. I've read many of your post and got good advice/info and never logged on to tell you about it.

What irritates me more than this are people who don't listen to what they don't want to hear. These folks will put words in your mouth and put the blame on you as if you didn't try to advise them differently. I can't explain it very well. But they are like talking to a sack of rocks.

I've better ways to spend my time then waiting for someone to come and pat me on the back. If someone comes up and asks for directions, do you tell them to take off, knowing you will never see them again? I was taught to help people in need, and not expect something in return.

6M Ranch":32hxiaaw said:
I've better ways to spend my time then waiting for someone to come and pat me on the back. If someone comes up and asks for directions, do you tell them to take off, knowing you will never see them again? I was taught to help people in need, and not expect something in return.

I think it's really just the matter of saying how something went. Say for instance, "x number of cows were having this same problem, what would you/what should I do?" In my opinion, if you seek advice on here, you should at least take the couple of minutes to log back in and let folks know what happened. It's not that people have too much time on their hands, its that they genuinely care, and want to know what the outcome was.

6M Ranch":3bs6nggc said:

Nothing to do with back patting. It has to do with hearing the results and for others to learn if the suggestions were accurate or off base. That feed back may help someother person with a similar problem at a later date.

I am sort of in the rent an opinion busineess where I work.

I would say it is about fifty - fifty between folks who genuinely need advice and those who have made up their mind and are going to do it their way and looking for backup.

for the ones like the folks who built the barn in the draw against advice, on the second call I tell em you didn't listen to me the first time, why should I think you are going to heed my advice now?

Dun, I understand your reasoning, but mine is a little different.

Those that come here and are the "one question wonders" are here for one thing, and one thing only. That thing is the question at hand. Half of those probably won't listen, they are just looking for someone to tell them they are right. Half of them are probably trying to avoid a service call from the vet. The last half of them might come back and say thanks, might post an introduction, might become a part of the community.

All of the advice that is given here is helpful to someone at some time.

You are a part of the community, those that irritate you are just visitors........