• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Rannie Cow?

Help Support CattleToday:

TexFarmer

Reaction score
I took a cow to the sale barn this past weekend and got to looking at my ticket stub and noticed the sale barn hand wrote "Red rannie" on the description. The cow is red in color but what does the rannie mean? I can't find that term anywhere. Am I reading the handwriting wrong?

greybeard

Reaction score
I haven't heard that term since I left San Angelo. It just means any ol rangy rough looking cow..male or female--right off rough pasture. Not finished or fattened.

You'll see it sometimes in the old western or cowboy books.

bird dog

Reaction score
I see the term for calves fairly often at the sale barn but not usually for cows. For calves is everything that doesn't go to the main calf sale because of a defect, longhorn, less than 250 lbs or just poor. They run the the roping calves in with this bunch.

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
greybeard":2elx3wmm said:
I haven't heard that term since I left San Angelo. It just means any ol rangy rough looking cow..male or female--right off rough pasture. Not finished or fattened.

I haven’t heard that term since we hauled cows to the salebarn in the bed of pickups with sideboards.
That cow today is usually referred to as a yellow cow.

TexasBred

Reaction score
greybeard":1rmsop2i said:

Pretty much like that here except it's mostly applied to calves. They all look like crap

Texas PaPaw

Reaction score
Was this a grown cow or just a calf? Only thing I've heard referred to as rannie are small calves, roping calves, etc.

ALACOWMAN

Reaction score
Must be regional,, ain't never heard it used here.. But I'm betting I got some in the pasture,That'll fit that description..

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Yaw use the term different than I have ever heard it. To me, it refers to a cow that has wintered hard, or just won't gain on good grass.

Latest posts