Another "free" Corriente cow

Help Support CattleToday:

I have never heard of a barn that dont let buyers on the property. And, ain't no body that could stop ME from selling MY cattle to whomever I wanted to.; The buyers or traders....whatever you wanted to call them... are a vital part of a successful auction operation. The sale barn gets paid either way, whether someone sells to a buyer when they come up, or whether they wait hours to run them through the ring. Never heard of anyone calling them pen hooks, either. Sounds like it is...or some say it like it is... a derogatory term. If it is in fact, then you won't come to the barn and call a buyer that at any sale I go to. Not where he can hear you, anyway. Traders won't get run off the property, but no manners or rude behaviour will sure get you run off., Or carried off.

Warren , my only dealing with the outside buyers was at Ft Payne Stockyards years ago . 2-3 would meet you as you pulled in the parking lot . Climb on your trailer and ask you what you wanted for them ? Never sold any that way because I knew whatever they offered I was going to do that good or better at the auction. The only difference was cash money versus a check . Never faulted a person for selling or those buyers . Most would leave you alone after you said no but there was a time or 2 I thought about running over one fellow . 🤠 Hope it wasn't you ! 😁

I have never heard of a barn that dont let buyers on the property. And, ain't no body that could stop ME from selling MY cattle to whomever I wanted to.; The buyers or traders....whatever you wanted to call them... are a vital part of a successful auction operation. The sale barn gets paid either way, whether someone sells to a buyer when they come up, or whether they wait hours to run them through the ring. Never heard of anyone calling them pen hooks, either. Sounds like it is...or some say it like it is... a derogatory term. If it is in fact, then you won't come to the barn and call a buyer that at any sale I go to. Not where he can hear you, anyway. Traders won't get run off the property, but no manners or rude behaviour will sure get you run off., Or carried off.
Totally different here. It is a derogatory term. They have been asked to leave and a barn owner can use the deputies to deal with it. A lot of it used to be disliked by sellers. The pen hookers were persistent and aggressive. And they would also try to buddy with you and come to the farm and charm you, low ball you on a cash sale and make your profit at the barn. I do not see much of it anymore but I don't hang around the barns. The farm buyers still run that racket. The cattle that were often give-aways on the issue of pin hookers were the ones that had a glue spot or two on their hip and a new sale tag.

Totally different here. It is a derogatory term. They have been asked to leave and a barn owner can use the deputies to deal with it. A lot of it used to be disliked by sellers. The pen hookers were persistent and aggressive. And they would also try to buddy with you and come to the farm and charm you, low ball you on a cash sale and make your profit at the barn. I do not see much of it anymore but I don't hang around the barns. The farm buyers still run that racket. The cattle that were often give-aways on the issue of pin hookers were the ones that had a glue spot or two on their hip and a new sale tag.
I had a pen hooker approach me at a sale barn in Fayetteville, Arkansas... and I refused his offer on a cow I had that would feed any calf that wanted to suck and was skinny as a rail. I should have taken his offer. The cow sold for quite a bit less than what he offered me. That was a long time ago and a good lesson for me.

I've done just the opposite.
When some folks couldn't find what they wanted at the sale, I said hey follow me.....
I've sold several that way. And made some friends.

I also have a bad habit of talking to folks unloading if they have something I'm interested in. I love information straight from the seller. I've never made an offer tho. Always bid at the sale.

I've done just the opposite.
When some folks couldn't find what they wanted at the sale, I said hey follow me.....
I've sold several that way. And made some friends.

I also have a bad habit of talking to folks unloading if they have something I'm interested in. I love information straight from the seller. I've never made an offer tho. Always bid at the sale.
I made a lot of money dealing cattle in Arkansas, but I never offed to buy before they went into the ring. But I was always open to talking to people for the information they could supply before or after they unloaded. Buying or selling, good information is money.

Warren , my only dealing with the outside buyers was at Ft Payne Stockyards years ago . 2-3 would meet you as you pulled in the parking lot . Climb on your trailer and ask you what you wanted for them ? Never sold any that way because I knew whatever they offered I was going to do that good or better at the auction. The only difference was cash money versus a check . Never faulted a person for selling or those buyers . Most would leave you alone after you said no but there was a time or 2 I thought about running over one fellow . 🤠 Hope it wasn't you ! 😁
No. I have bought some cattle twice this year outside at FT Payne. I had no problems from the barn owners..I just took the ticket into the office when the guy unloaded, told them in the office what I paid, and paid the commission on them, instead of the seller having to. That case last week in Calhoun, with the Corr cow and calf, I paid commission on the cow because I was keeping her, but because I put the calf in the weigh pen, they didn't charge me for when I bought her. Said they'd take it out pf my check for selling it. I doubt I have bought cattle outside more than 20 times in my life, but have sold outside a whole lot more. For people who put a dollar value on their time, buying or selling outside either one, usually works out as good, if not better, than doing it through the ring.

I had a pen hooker approach me at a sale barn in Fayetteville, Arkansas... and I refused his offer on a cow I had that would feed any calf that wanted to suck and was skinny as a rail. I should have taken his offer. The cow sold for quite a bit less than what he offered me. That was a long time ago and a good lesson for me.
It's a good way to launder money. Buy cows with cash, get a check like you raised them. I have sold to the pin hookers and I know they either lost or broke even.

Noooo
They are about 2 miles from home tho!
Just saw them today. HAD to take a couple pics. Look at the crap they are eating!

Right next to a wheat field on the north too. Nothing but a hot wire.
@MurraysMutts . You will be surprised how good they will do on that. The man has the right idea....looks like he is doing what we been doing. Did you notice the bull? It won't be long, though, til he is gonna have to move them or feed them. Maybe that is what the wheat field is for? Do you know him? Maybe you can go by there and talk with him, and see if he wants to sell them: Cows, calves and the bull. If we can get them right, I will buy them, you get the cows and calves to me, and you can keep the bull.

Last edited:
as long

If the seller gets what he wants does it make a difference if the buyer makes money?
Nope! If I get what I want, I don't care what you make it on it. I hope you do make money. Not as much room trading cattle as there is horses, but many a time I have bought a horse I know would bring $15k-$25k, for less than a thousand, and sold it for $10k or less. I want to sell you one that you can make money on too. That way, you will keep buying from me. It is not up to me to educate you on the value of your cattle, nor is it "noble" or "the right thing to do", to offer to pay more for an animal the owner has priced way below value. However, this year I have paid double what the owners were asking for 3 dairy cows, but there were extenuating circumstances. First two, the lady needed money to bury her husband and my friend, but I knew she'd never let me give her the money. And this week, I told that old couple...the man with a broke hip on hospice, that their cow and calves were worth twice what they asked for them, and paid them for them. Again ,this was people that would not have taken the money if I just tried to give it to them.

Latest posts