Another "free" Corriente cow

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I was at the sale yesterday, looking for some more cows for my young friend. They didn't have much of what we are looking for. Had a nice pen of 10, eighteen month old red Angus x Charolais heifers, short bred to a red Brangus. Not what we were looking for, but I wish I had stayed to see them sell. I saw a trailer in the check -in line, with a white Corriente cow on it, and a black calf. So, I went to talk to the young man in the truck. He was about to leave out of town for a 3 year job. He is a commercial electrician, and was going to build one of those giant battery plants that are springing up all over Ga. Anyhow, this was his only cow that he had been keeping at his daddy's place, and Pops told him to get rid of the horned devil before he left town. The calf was solid black, still a bull, and I guessed to be 400-425 lbs. Boy said the sire was his daddy's SimmAng, and she should be bred back. He said this was her 2nd calf. I asked what he wanted for her, and he said $750. I told him that was about the top dollar I had sold Corrs for this year, and that was for solid blacks Ones like her, white with black specks, would sell for about $650, He said, "Yeah, but ain't that calf worth something?" I had assumed he was going to weigh the calf and sell it separately. I said " So you want $750 for the pair? " He said "Yeah, that calf is just now 5 months old, so you cant wean it yet" So I paid him, and when we unloaded I told them to put the calf in the weigh pen, and put the cow in a pen for me, and I'd go get the trailer and come back.

I called the office today to see what the calf brought. 418 pounds at $1.68. $703 dollars. So,, I now have a $47 Corr cow, bred to a SimmAng bull. I even tried to talk the boy into doing what I did, I told him his calf ought to bring at least $1.50 a pound...$600 or more. and if his cow just brought $300, held make $900 or more, But he wanted to just sell then to me and be on his way. Tomorrow, I iil have another $100 in her, for fuel going to south GA and back, But, that's ok, IF I was getting back into the business, I'd take two hundred more $150 Corr cows like her.

Last edited:
I was at the sale yesterday, looking for some more cows for my young friend. They didn't have much of what we are looking for. Had a nice pen of 10, eighteen month old red Angus x Charolais heifers, short bred to a red Brangus. Not what we were looking for, but I wish I had stayed to see them sell. I saw a trailer in the check -in line, with a white Corriente cow on it, and a black calf. So, I went to talk to the young man in the truck. He was about to leave out of town for a 3 year job. He is a commercial electrician, and was going to build one of those giant battery plants that are springing up all over Ga. Anyhow, this was his only cow that he had been keeping at his daddy's place, and Pops told him to get rid of the horned devil before he left town. The calf was solid black, still a bull, and I guessed to be 400-425 lbs. Boy said the sire was his daddy's SimmAng, and she should be bred back. He said this was her 2nd calf. I asked what he wanted for
her, and he said $750. I told him that was about the top dollar I had sold Corrs for this year, and that was for solid blacks Ones like her, white with black specks, would sell for about $650, He said, "Yeah, but ain't that calf worth something?" I had assumed he was going to weight the calf and sell it separately. I said " So you want $750 for the pair? " He said "Yeah, that calf is just now 5 months old, so you cant wean it yet" So I [paid him, and when we unloaded I told them to put the calf in the weigh pen, and put the cow in a pen for me, and I'd go get the trailer and come back.

I called the office today to see what the calf brought. 418 pounds at $1.68. $703 dollars. So,, I now have a $47 Corr cow, bred to a SimmAng bull. I even tried to talk the boy into doing what I did, I told him his calf ought to bring at least $1.50 a pound...$600 or more. and if his cow just brought $300, held make $900 or more, But he wanted to just sell then to me and be on his way. Tomorrow, I iil have another $100 in her, for fuel going to south GA and back, But, that's ok, IF I was getting back into the business, I'd take two hundred more $150 Corr cows like her.
Soo, why didn't you pay the young guy a fair price ?

Soo, why didn't you pay the young guy a fair price ?
I paid him what he asked, after I told him he could split them like I did, and get more than what he asked me for them. He said he'd rather just sell to me and go on. What was not fair about it?

Last edited:
I paid him what he asked, after I told him he could spliyt them like I did, and get more than what he asked me for them. He said he'd rather just sell to me and go on. What was not fair about it?
Well, I have to admit it was better than a blow to the side of the head with a pair of hoof nippers. 🤷‍♀️ :rolleyes:

If you paid him cash , that might have been another motivation. No statement/ sales receipt from the stockyard. I see nothing wrong with this transaction!
I only had $713 on me, but we knew each orher, so I gave him a check. It was the time more than anything, that made him want to sell. They started selling goats at about 9:30 that morning, and this was after 1. All the trailers in line except his and another one, was full of goats, too. I bet it was 3 or later when the head cows started, then no telling how long last night before all the weigh cattle sold. When I went by to get my c heck, I asked how much the red angus x charolais heifers brought $2050. They were worth that easy. 4 months bred, ,gonna calve at 23-24 mos old, end of March or 1st of April. If prices hold and they sell those calves next October, he will get more than half his money back, and have some good cows for the next 10 years. The dude that sold them might have got a hundred or two hundred more for them in a private sale. but he got a good price at the sale and the new owners got a good deal as well.

there's a lot of cattle traders that pen hook and most pen hookers trade cattle. When I was growing up there was rarely a sale that didn't have someone out in the unload line buying livestock off of trucks and then running them through the sale to make a profit
That's my definition of a pen hooker

there's a lot of cattle traders that pen hook and most pen hookers trade cattle. When I was growing up there was rarely a sale that didn't have someone out in the unload line buying livestock off of trucks and then running them through the sale to make a profit
Same here. It was expected and lots of people went there with the intention of selling to them for cash.

A pen hooker and a cattle trader are two different things anywhere I've been.
He beat me to it!
I was gonna say, sometimes they are one and the same too....

Latest posts