Rannie Cow?

Help Support CattleToday:

TexFarmer

Reaction score
I took a cow to the sale barn this past weekend and got to looking at my ticket stub and noticed the sale barn hand wrote "Red rannie" on the description. The cow is red in color but what does the rannie mean? I can't find that term anywhere. Am I reading the handwriting wrong?

I haven't heard that term since I left San Angelo. It just means any ol rangy rough looking cow..male or female--right off rough pasture. Not finished or fattened.

You'll see it sometimes in the old western or cowboy books.

I see the term for calves fairly often at the sale barn but not usually for cows. For calves is everything that doesn't go to the main calf sale because of a defect, longhorn, less than 250 lbs or just poor. They run the the roping calves in with this bunch.

greybeard":2elx3wmm said:
I haven't heard that term since I left San Angelo. It just means any ol rangy rough looking cow..male or female--right off rough pasture. Not finished or fattened.

I haven't heard that term since we hauled cows to the salebarn in the bed of pickups with sideboards.
That cow today is usually referred to as a yellow cow.

greybeard":1rmsop2i said:

Pretty much like that here except it's mostly applied to calves. They all look like crap

Was this a grown cow or just a calf? Only thing I've heard referred to as rannie are small calves, roping calves, etc.

Yaw use the term different than I have ever heard it. To me, it refers to a cow that has wintered hard, or just won't gain on good grass.

Latest posts