Put your best Herd Bull on the board!

Help Support CattleToday:

Here's our herd bull. Note that I didn't say HERD SIRE. :)

cows12-10-06009.jpg

la4angus":3cj4ctnb said:
Frankie":3cj4ctnb said:
Here's our herd bull. Note that I didn't say HERD SIRE. :)
Come on Frankie. You sure you not spoofing us. :lol: :lol:

Don't you like him? :lol: He's our gomer bull, Red. I know he doesn't have much red on him, but the first longhorn we used had a red head and neck, We've called all them Red since then.

He works very well for heat detecting. The white shows up in a distance, in the dark, or back in the trees. He's 4-5 years old, as big as he'll get and not too big to mount heifer calves. My only complaint is that he doesn't deal with the cold very well.

IMGA0083.jpg

Hope that worked. It's been a while since I have posted a pic on here. This is a bull that I showed in Tulsa this year. He took 4th...Not too shabby, but wished he would have placed better.

Aaron":2cntaei9 said:
1848":2cntaei9 said:
It's good to see that many of the bulls on here are actually owned!

LA, Do you actually use your bull natuarally or is he strictly collected and pen kept. Seems awful large to be a pureblood Angus, but that's just my opinion. How large are your cows? Have you intentionally increased the frame of your herd over the last 10 to 20 years? No offense intended here.

Aaron, Even if the Dan son you showed is a yearling, I wouldn't be posting pictures of a bull smaller or equal in size to you cows....it might offend another canadian breeder, and put all of you in a bad light! ;-) (just joking). I think SRR might get my drift though. :shock:

The Dan bull was 3 years old when that picture was taken. His sire was a bigger bull at 2200 lbs, but this bull got his mother's size. He is very moderate frame, not quite enough growth in the calves though. But I like the groups of calves because they all grow and fill out similarly, with most steers maxing out at a live weight of 1150-1200 lbs.

Aaron knows his cattle.

Two typical steers calves off of the Dan bull, April born, pic taken in early July. Both were fed out to slaughter.
cattle063.jpg

Steer on the left, at 16 months. Live weight: 1080 lbs. Carcass weight: 560 lbs. Grade: A
P8220001.jpg

Other steer on the right, was 18 months at slaughter, about 1200 lbs live, and was the best steak I have ever eaten.

Aaron":y1ff75rq said:
Other steer on the right, was 18 months at slaughter, about 1200 lbs live, and was the best steak I have ever eaten.
What was this steer's carcass weight. Also what did he grade, choice or prime and if choice was it hi or low. Also what was his Y.G.

I don't know. He was butchered on farm and processed at a local cut-n-wrap operation. All of our animals dress in the 55%-60% of live weight range. Judging by the steaks, I bet he would have graded AA or Prime in a inspected plant. Most of our animals tend to have a Y.G. of 2.

Aaron":1ngirmc8 said:
I don't know. He was butchered on farm and processed at a local cut-n-wrap operation. All of our animals dress in the 55%-60% of live weight range. Judging by the steaks, I bet he would have graded AA or Prime in a inspected plant. Most of our animals tend to have a Y.G. of 2.
Thanks.

Aaron":1qutx34t said:
Two typical steers calves off of the Dan bull, April born, pic taken in early July. Both were fed out to slaughter.
cattle063.jpg

Steer on the left, at 16 months. Live weight: 1080 lbs. Carcass weight: 560 lbs. Grade: A
P8220001.jpg

What Dan bull are you talking about? It says your from Canada, but there is a guy from here that has a bull, LLLT Dan. MCR I believe. nice calves though.

The 'Dan' reference is to 1848, talking about our bull, a Gr. grandson off of Mohican Dan 544T. His picture is in an earlier post on this thread.

la4angus":2jqgawh9 said:
CopeMan":2jqgawh9 said:
the partner that's housing him in Colorado hasn't had any taken recently.

let me know where; i will go there next weekend and take it for you. ;-)

Triple B,
Whats he out of? Buck him yet?
He is double bred whitewater with some K66 Rapid Fire. No, haven't bucked him yet. Won't do that till he's two. I don't want to risk injuring him.

ilfarmer92":jftkdruq said:
Aaron":jftkdruq said:
cattle063.jpg

P8220001.jpg

What Dan bull are you talking about? It says your from Canada, but there is a guy from here that has a bull, LLLT Dan. MCR I believe. nice calves though.

I would think you would want better than 51-52% rail wt.

TripleB":3c6c9xk6 said:
Triple B,
Whats he out of? Buck him yet?
He is double bred whitewater with some K66 Rapid Fire. No, haven't bucked him yet. Won't do that till he's two. I don't want to risk injuring him.

That sounds like a nice cross, cant go too wrong w/ Katich and Naccoratto blood.
Is the Whitewater X K66 cross the dam or sire? Are you going to play the futurity game or hold him off so he doesnt burn out?

Schnurrbart":11y0r4ay said:
I would think you would want better than 51-52% rail wt.

I must have been a bit off on the dressed weight. I can remember the % but not the actual. His actual dressing percentage was 56%. The worst steer for dressing we ever had. Majority are 58%.

Whitewater on both sire and dam...K66 is on the dams side. I will take him to a few futurities, not too many though cause I don't want to have a burnt out bull.

Latest posts