Protein Tubs

Help Support CattleToday:

Stepper

Reaction score
Does protein tubs help out very much on adding weight to young heifers ?

Protein tubs will encourage them to eat more. We use Crystal X as they are harder 'baked' (for lack of a better word) and, therefore, last longer.

rk

The reason i think that he recommends they dont have urea in them is i have herd urea will kill horse's if they eat urea. That might be what he meant.

Stepper":zh852gad said:
rk

The reason i think that he recommends they dont have urea in them is i have herd urea will kill horse's if they eat urea. That might be what he meant.

I've never heard of urea killing a horse....don't think it will unless he's allowed to get way too much of urea feed....then colic will likely be a problem long before urea toxicity. Getting too much via a cooked tub seems like pretty unlikely.

rk":2xc3h0m6 said:
buckaroo_bif":2xc3h0m6 said:
We use em I'd just recommend to be sure they don't have urea in them.

why not urea?

Everbody I have talked to about feeding urea to breeding stock they do not recommend it. So I dont use it I feed the tubs without urea. Can't really give you any good explanation...sorry :oops:

always heard not to use the tubs with urea if you have young calves or horses. I always buy the all natural, just not worth taking chances.

I alwasy figured if I wanted to feed urea I'ld just go pee on the hay

dun

Tubs are the MOST expensive way to go! You're probably paying close to $600 per ton for something you can buy in a sack for $200. They are easy and that's the only thing they've got going for them. The dealers will say they'll eat less; OK pour a little syrup on a concrete block, a whole lot cheaper than tubs. The whole idea is to get protein and minerals into the cow, not see how little they will eat. Try a good 3 and 1 range meal; 1/3 the cost, almost as easy and the cow is actually getting a little feed.

msscamp":7x99qozw said:
Protein tubs will encourage them to eat more. We use Crystal X as they are harder 'baked' (for lack of a better word) and, therefore, last longer.

I use these also, msscamp. I've had good results with them, as they stand up to weather better than the others. I try to keep them under a shed, but when the cattle start on them it's hard to keep it in one place. ;-)

aplusmnt":1lfubb58 said:
always heard not to use the tubs with urea if you have young calves or horses. I always buy the all natural, just not worth taking chances.
I believe the reason would be that they can't utilize the NPN to any significant degree more that it could hurt them.

I see there are a few folks on here that use the Crystalyx tubs. I've never used them before this year because of sticker shock. But curiousity got the best of me and I put one of their ionolix blocks with Bovatec in with about 15 open heifers about a month or so ago. They seem to be on par with consumption and it might just be in my head but they look better to me. Just trying to get more weight on them before they are bred. Anyone else here ever use these type blocks?

cfpinz

cfpinz":3hhz72tk said:
I see there are a few folks on here that use the Crystalyx tubs. I've never used them before this year because of sticker shock. But curiousity got the best of me and I put one of their ionolix blocks with Bovatec in with about 15 open heifers about a month or so ago. They seem to be on par with consumption and it might just be in my head but they look better to me. Just trying to get more weight on them before they are bred. Anyone else here ever use these type blocks?

cfpinz

We use the Purina blocks and had really good luck with them. They only eat what they need. If they are getting protein from something else they won't eat as much. Better than pouring cubes out everyday.

We use them, and really like them, great for heifers, and can cut back on grain when feeding these, one is good for about 20 head, and they last for almost a month. I buy mine from a local MFA, pay $65.

GMN

Jovid - Do the Purina tubs you're using have Bovatec in them? Are they as hard as the Crystalyx type? If you don't mind me asking, how much are the Purina tubs in your area? The Crystalyx with the Bovatec in them are about $110 around here.

cfpinz

cfpinz":3bx2a31w said:
Jovid - Do the Purina tubs you're using have Bovatec in them? Are they as hard as the Crystalyx type? If you don't mind me asking, how much are the Purina tubs in your area? The Crystalyx with the Bovatec in them are about $110 around here.

cfpinz

No these are not the crystalyx, and have no bovatec. They are the brand name smart lic NE-30, 30% protein. Since using these I really have noticed a big difference in my heifers, they really like them, and they are very weather resistant.

I don't think they sell any other at the MFA, except the same with mag added, which might be good to feed out when the pastures start growing (if we ever get some moisture)

hope this helps

Gail

There good if you have low quaility hay they get the rumen burning and they will consume more hay .but if your have good quaility hay with a good protein content i dont see a need for them.

norriscathy wrote
Tubs are the MOST expensive way to go! You're probably paying close to $600 per ton for something you can buy in a sack for $200. They are easy and that's the only thing they've got going for them. The dealers will say they'll eat less; OK pour a little syrup on a concrete block, a whole lot cheaper than tubs. The whole idea is to get protein and minerals into the cow, not see how little they will eat. Try a good 3 and 1 range meal; 1/3 the cost, almost as easy and the cow is actually getting a little feed.

norriscathty - are you recommending free choice of the meal appraoch, or once, or twice a day. I thought the meal appraoch was mainly just a supplement thing and did not stimulate appetite. I really would like to understand this licktub, vs syrup, vs, meal thing better. I thought the licktub and syrups were meant to stimulate appetite throughout the day as the cattle used them free choice.AND had some supplement value to them also. Its still not clear to me what component (or component combination) in the tubs stimulaltes appetite.

Latest posts