Mineral tubs

Help Support CattleToday:

tcolvin

Reaction score
I started my cows back in September on the 24% mineral tubs (200lb) . Last week my tractor supply didn't have the 24% so I got the 16% instead. Will these work for giving the mineral? I feed hay and about 2 times a week I give cotton seed and oats mixed in. I don't really know if I need the 16% or 24%. How would you know? What governs which to use?

That's a lot of feed with some overlap. I'm not the best feed person but I'm not sure what the oats are doing for you. The next question would be what are the tubs doing for you. I don't think I would be paying extra or worry about getting a high protein tub.

Between hay and wcs you should have every thing you need. The wcs should have all the protein, fat you need with some roughage. The hay should give bulk roughage and hopefully some protein also.

Salt and mineral could be fed loose.

Hopefully others will chime in.

A protein supplement such as whole cottonseed will work if given twice a week. Not much winter feeding is done over here, mostly rely on stockpiled grass however towards the end of winter when things get tough a lot of people go and buy some very expensive mineral blocks that have urea in them. I think they make bugger all difference but they keep the produce merchants happy and the people putting them out feel all warm and fuzzy thinking they are meeting their obligations looking after their cattle.

Ken

MCR had posted this from UGA on Saturday.

Worth a read to answer your questions

Hay and decent loose mineral has always been enough for my cows.
I also like to feed a commodity grain mix by hand, just enough to keep them gentle and coming in. If I think they need more protein I can go to a higher level of protein in the grain mix.
When I was younger and needed to make every penny count, I limited fed square bales, one to three cows per day, and put out a trace mineral block. They had access to quite a bit of grazing on some rougher ground. They usually lost quite a bit of weight, but gained it back when grass came. They had as good a conception rate as now and weaned good heavy calves.

Last edited:
Protein tubs are losers!
You can buy a lot of feed for what your paying a pound in a tub.
You can buy a ton of feed on what your spending to get 800 lbs.
We bought a 50 gallon liquid feeder. It paid for itself the first time we filled it up. The liquid feed is alright. The nice thing is that everything gets a chance to eat. The problem is that it is what it is and if the cows need more it doesn't work.
We aren't at this point set up to feed commodities to the cows but it is a cheaper way of getting the right feed into the cows. A good starting point to would be to feed 3 pounds a head per day of whole cottonseed fed every third day or three times a week. WCS has plenty of phosphorus so all you need is a low phosphorus mineral with an ionophore. The important thing is to make sure everything can eat. I make feeders out of plastic barrels cut in half and bolted together.
I can't stand Tractor Supply, the stuff it sells is hobby grade.

Protein tubs are losers!
You can buy a lot of feed for what your paying a pound in a tub.
You can buy a ton of feed on what your spending to get 800 lbs.
They have their place CB. We use the all natural protein tubs for winter grazing and heifer pairs come spring. The first helps cows digest some pretty low quality grass and gets them located to fresh grass. The cows do associate the truck coming with treats but don't expect it every day. The one year we fed pellets on winter range the whole herd was standing on the gate waiting instead of keeping their bellies full with grass.
The second keeps calves healthier for us as they aren't licking dirt, they are on the tubs.

Rest of the year they are a costly and unneeded expense. We can feed 5 lbs of pea screenings pellets for the same cost per day.

That is because a lot of owners don't understand the difference between quality hay and junk hay. They think hay is hay.
That's the problem with our area right now. KR Bluestem is taking over. It is a poor grass but does decent for a momma cow. It's hard on young developers like heifers and makes poor hay.

I started my cows back in September on the 24% mineral tubs (200lb) . Last week my tractor supply didn't have the 24% so I got the 16% instead. Will these work for giving the mineral? I feed hay and about 2 times a week I give cotton seed and oats mixed in. I don't really know if I need the 16% or 24%. How would you know? What governs which to use?
Have you tested your hay? If not get it tested and go from there. Stage of gestation figures in also and present body condition. I bet you don't need a tub for protein.

They have their place CB. We use the all natural protein tubs for winter grazing and heifer pairs come spring. The first helps cows digest some pretty low quality grass and gets them located to fresh grass. The cows do associate the truck coming with treats but don't expect it every day. The one year we fed pellets on winter range the whole herd was standing on the gate waiting instead of keeping their bellies full with grass.
The second keeps calves healthier for us as they aren't licking dirt, they are on the tubs.

Rest of the year they are a costly and unneeded expense. We can feed 5 lbs of pea screenings pellets for the same cost per day.
Not really as you are raising your inputs for convenience.
Build feeders and buy quality range meal by the ton.
A good 2-1 CSM with limiters you get 400 pounds of protein for what your paying for 180.IMG_1640.jpeg
This type of feeder is cheaper to supplement the cows and creep feeder for the calves with the same range meal.
Fill them with super sacks.
That's 4x8 and it will hold 1.5 tons.