Mineral tubs

Help Support CattleToday:

Not really as you are raising your inputs for convenience.
Build feeders and buy quality range meal by the ton.
A good 2-1 CSM with limiters you get 400 pounds of protein for what your paying for 180.View attachment 38140
This type of feeder is cheaper to supplement the cows and creep feeder for the calves with the same range meal.
Fill them with super sacks.
That's 4x8 and it will hold 1.5 tons.
Not sure cotton seed of any type available to us. I will check and then find out freight rates. How many lbs per day and how many cows will that feeder service. You are right about the convenience part.

Not sure cotton seed of any type available to us. I will check and then find out freight rates. How many lbs per day and how many cows will that feeder service. You are right about the convenience part.
I'm not saying you're wrong and it might be cheaper for you.
Thirty five head used to eat out of it daily.
Most consumed about 3 lbs a day. The limiter is salt and it backs em out and everyone gets a turn.
I'm surprised your feed supplier doesn't offer bulk feed.
The only operation that doesn't here is TSC and I don't consider them a feed supplier.
Is Lone Star feed available?
I know you can get super sacks of Lone Star from the feed store.
Several of the stores here have feed mills.
Again this is about the lowest input cost.
The tub might be yours just be aware there are alternatives for protein that is cheaper in most areas.

I would think with the distance, and freight, the tubs might be a better way for @gcreekrch ... and I would be concerned that the cottonseed there might attract other animals that the tubs would not... what about the deer and elk and other ruminants that might develop a taste... yes, they can get into the tubs also, but we find that the deer here do not especially spend time much on the tubs....and then it might draw other predators .... and a bear or 2 would have a field day with those feeders... we have had a time with the bears tearing up 1,000 lb round bales just for fun at one place this year and taking the floats out of the water troughs, and the "saucer" type floats on the waterers that the cows push down.... I also realize that the bears should all be in hibernation.... but coyotes and wolves will follow the cattle if they congregate around a "feeder" ..... or other wildlife...
Just a thought on my part....
And I agree with them waiting at the gate for a supplement that they don't do with the tubs... we feed an all natural 16 % tub at the pasture with the heifers .... 1st calf and yet to be bred ones... just for some extra when the hay is not all the "best"... seems to keep them in better shape and they seem to settle down after getting their fill and not consume that much.

MCR had posted this from UGA on Saturday.

Worth a read to answer your questions

That is excellent info EXCEPT the price. That article is a little old. At least the references were were old.

Most consumed about 3 lbs a day. The limiter is salt and it backs em out and everyone gets a turn.
The only operation that doesn't here is TSC and I don't consider them a feed supplier.
The tub might be yours just be aware there are alternatives for protein that is cheaper in most areas.
Tubs are not supposed to be used as a sole protein source. They are supposed to encourage eating more low quality forage.

The feed mixes come with their own issues also. I have killed many of hogs will bellies full of salt feed. Some were literally bedding under the feeders. 😄 feeding packs of hogs and you cattle can sire kill the numbers on ground feed.

The bottom line is that unless your feed source is really poor, lacking enough protein, you do not need a protein tub. But, if you have a no protein hay or pasture, it will let the cows utilize their feed.
Most of the US states lack the minerals needed by herds. Trying to feed minerals is great, but do NOT buy mineral TUBS. Buy LOOSE mineral. Tubs are a lot of wasted $$$.
If you don't have a mineral feeder, just make one out of a 50 gal drum. Cut a hole in the side big enough for cows and high enough off the bottom so mineral doesn't spill out. Put a swivel hook on top away from center and side with hole, so the bucket hangs with the hole side tipped down. Hang in a tree far enough from trunk of tree, so cows don't trap it against tree and spill mineral. All I ever used for 30 years.
You should be able to pull up DUN's post from years ago. How to make a mineral feeder.

The freight might be a bit rough for gcreekrch to get csm to Canada.

Here's the thread on how to make a mineral feeder:

Tubs have their place. I use a few them in the late fall and winter on my remote place where I run my one & done's. The cooked tubs I buy have a mineral package included. $125/each for 225 lbs.
The old cows seem to do very well on them. They have shine to their coat and tend to put on a few pounds up until about Mid January where the dry grass finally plays out and the calves are big. The cows slim down some over the next few weeks. They get by on the sparse grazing, some salt, the tubs and two rolls of hay per cow. Feed costs are about $175 per pair.
By March the grass starts to come back and the pairs are ready to be split up in April/May. The cows sell into the prime time of the market.

Its one of the simpler ways to make some money and generally gives me a number of good calves to add to my own to background and sell as a larger group.

I would think with the distance, and freight, the tubs might be a better way for @gcreekrch ... and I would be concerned that the cottonseed there might attract other animals that the tubs would not... what about the deer and elk and other ruminants that might develop a taste... yes, they can get into the tubs also, but we find that the deer here do not especially spend time much on the tubs....and then it might draw other predators .... and a bear or 2 would have a field day with those feeders... we have had a time with the bears tearing up 1,000 lb round bales just for fun at one place this year and taking the floats out of the water troughs, and the "saucer" type floats on the waterers that the cows push down.... I also realize that the bears should all be in hibernation.... but coyotes and wolves will follow the cattle if they congregate around a "feeder" ..... or other wildlife...
Just a thought on my part....
And I agree with them waiting at the gate for a supplement that they don't do with the tubs... we feed an all natural 16 % tub at the pasture with the heifers .... 1st calf and yet to be bred ones... just for some extra when the hay is not all the "best"... seems to keep them in better shape and they seem to settle down after getting their fill and not consume that much.
The deer like the tubs and the hogs absolutely love them!
They turn them over and all the syrup oozes on the ground.

The bottom line is that unless your feed source is really poor, lacking enough protein, you do not need a protein tub. But, if you have a no protein hay or pasture, it will let the cows utilize their feed.
Most of the US states lack the minerals needed by herds. Trying to feed minerals is great, but do NOT buy mineral TUBS. Buy LOOSE mineral. Tubs are a lot of wasted $$$.
If you don't have a mineral feeder, just make one out of a 50 gal drum. Cut a hole in the side big enough for cows and high enough off the bottom so mineral doesn't spill out. Put a swivel hook on top away from center and side with hole, so the bucket hangs with the hole side tipped down. Hang in a tree far enough from trunk of tree, so cows don't trap it against tree and spill mineral. All I ever used for 30 years.
You should be able to pull up DUN's post from years ago. How to make a mineral feeder.
I know a guy that uses these for minerals.

I wouldn't have thought it, it keeps the hogs out in his leased land.

The deer like the tubs and the hogs absolutely love them!
They turn them over and all the syrup oozes on the ground.
I am glad that so far there are no hogs here... Going to be a real disaster if they get in this area... I cannot imagine trying to fence off the hay fields... OMG.... I can believe that the hogs would get them turned over and such... we had a game camera out at one pasture and the deer didn't seem to want the tubs much... may not be that way elsewhere...

Protein tubs are losers!
You can buy a lot of feed for what your paying a pound in a tub.
You can buy a ton of feed on what your spending to get 800 lbs.
What type feed?
Have you tested your hay? If not get it tested and go from there. Stage of gestation figures in also and present body condition. I bet you don't need a tub for protein.
my hay I get from a very reputable guy and my cows love his hay. When I had goats they ate it also. He fertilizes his hay hood and has about 300 acres of it n one field. It's coast Bermuda and he also has it tested . I'll ask him on next load He brings in. He has a trailer design to haul 9 bales at s time and he just drives up where I want it and less than 5 minutes he is gone after another load. Also what I get is barn kept but not after I get it. I have to pay $70 a bale delivered. I get 27 bales at a time and he delivers. Good or bad price wise, that's what it is. At the end of my 6 trips he makes I start off with 54 bales of hay. If I need more in April or before , he will deliver me nine more st same price. I buy about a ton and a half+ Of cotton seed to supplement feeding about twice a week. Maybe I don't need the protein tubs. Where do I get my hay tested? I may have it done so I'll know for sure.

You may not need it for the protein using the seed hulls, but the other ingredients may be of use to your cattle. Co ops make supplement mixes with specific products in our area. May check yours.

The ground feed is not going to beat wcs, if that is what you are using, unless you are paying some outrageous amount for it. I have fed both.

If you weren't feeding hay the ground feed might be an option because it's lower protein and could be considered a more rounded feed, depending on the feed. If you have hay out you don't necessarily need all that, the protein and fat from the wcs is more useful.

It's hard to beat wcs. That fat is where all the value is. Most of those ground feeds will be low in fat and it's expensive to add.

Do you use any canola meal Dave? I'd imagine there is plenty of that up your way. I know around here it is the cheapest of all the protein supplements at the moment. I have my little silo full of it at the moment but fortunately haven't had to use it in spite of the dire forecasts for summer. it keeps well though.

Ken

Where do I get my hay tested? I may have it done so I'll know for sure.
Most feed mills will have a lab they send it to. Mine even picks up half the cost for regular customers. You will need a probe but they might have one they loan out. Make sure you read up on proper procedures.

The ground feed is not going to beat wcs, if that is what you are using, unless you are paying some outrageous amount for it. I have fed both.

If you weren't feeding hay the ground feed might be an option because it's lower protein and could be considered a more rounded feed, depending on the feed. If you have hay out you don't necessarily need all that, the protein and fat from the wcs is more useful.

It's hard to beat wcs. That fat is where all the value is. Most of those ground feeds will be low in fat and it's expensive to add.
I agree!
Especially this year with limited hay and poor quality.
That's why the salebarn is full of poor cows every week.
People can't afford 125.00 a bale.

I am glad that so far there are no hogs here... Going to be a real disaster if they get in this area... I cannot imagine trying to fence off the hay fields... OMG.... I can believe that the hogs would get them turned over and such... we had a game camera out at one pasture and the deer didn't seem to want the tubs much... may not be that way elsewhere...
These beast can get into anything. Neighbors feeder.
PTDC0126.jpegIMG_2709.jpegIMG_2710.jpeg
Bottom two pictures in my pasture.
Trap stays set year round.

We buy pea screenings pellets by the 44 metric ton bulk load after we start feeding and go through 7 or eight loads in a winter. We buy them through a broker at a delivered cost. They are 18 to 22% protein and 5 lbs of them take the place of 8 lbs of our hay. 5 lbs of pellets are very close to the same daily cost as the tubs are and something goes into their stomachs other that a bit of molasses.

Out of general interest, where would the closest cotton field be to the western Canadian border?

Latest posts