KNS mineral

Help Support CattleToday:

Yes, I have used it in the past.
I used a KNS chelated mineral that I purchased from Rip's farm center in Tollesboro KY. It was recommended to me by a dairyman friend in that area when I was having conception issues with heifers.
I believe it was a good mineral, Some folks regarded it as one of the best in our area.
I am no longer in that area much so I'm getting a somewhat similar product at our local Southern States Co op now this time of year, with higher magnesium.

Lot of salt. And it all depends on what "kind" of ingredients in it. You have to look at the ingredients. I cannot tell you what are the best ones. I mean like either chelated or organic or ?? Some will not be available to the cattle.
But, if Ky Hill knows the product, I would trust his opinion.

Lot of salt. And it all depends on what "kind" of ingredients in it. You have to look at the ingredients. I cannot tell you what are the best ones. I mean like either chelated or organic or ?? Some will not be available to the cattle.
But, if Ky Hill knows the product, I would trust his opinion.
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm not sure if that is the same exact product that I used from that company or not.
The one I used was good and would like to be able to find it locally if they still make it. My dairy friend told me that the original version of it was just mineral with no salt, and he like that version better. By the time I was buying it it had salt in the mix.
He told me that originally it was developed by a vet or nutritionist specifically for the needs of our region.
If it's more commercialized and sold by other distributors around the country the mix is probably changed to a more generic mix. I don't know. The mineral I am currently getting from Southern States. Is out of Tennessee I think and says on the bag that it is designed for southeastern forages. We fit that description but the southeast is very diverse forage and soil wise.

I used it for years, until one of my friends became a Vitafirm dealer. Prior to the KNS, we used a mineral sold by an old gentleman in GA named Marvin Jackson. It worked well also. I believe that the KNS has chelated copper and selenium.
We did our own trail several years ago with another mineral that was being highly promoted by the big TN feed store. That year the KNS cattle bred back much better than the others.
I would definitely call it top shelf quality.

Looks like a very good mix to me. Where do you get it? Do you soil test your pastures before fertilizing, and add any minerals the test shows deficiency in to the fertilizer? Your area in GA has some of the best pastures because the soil is rich in minerals. I bet your cattle do just fine with this mix.

Yep had my soils tested and will fertilize accordingly. I have 5 pastures. On one of them I spread about a hundred cubic feet of manure mix a week. We'll see which ones turns out better next year. Still using Wind and rain high mag right now. Just trying to get educated on all mineral options.
That KNS will work out good for you. I bet it doesn;.t take a lot of lime for you to keep your PH balance right either, does it?

Latest posts