Mineral tubs

Help Support CattleToday:

In most cases, if the cattle are deficient in a mineral that means that the plants aren't getting the minerals they need from the soil. Give the plants what they need and they will grow more better quality feed.
It is something that is not that easy to see but it makes a difference.
Sounds fine and dandy , but in most cases it's not financially feasible to add the trace minerals to the soil. The uptake in many areas doesn't happen because of bioavailability .
Big thing most forget is that you can have all of the mineral in either the soil. Or in a mineral mix that you want but if it isn't in a bioavailabile form you just as well light your money on fire and feed the ashes to the cows or spread the ashes on the soil for the plants to use.
You will be accomplishing the exact same thing . Outflow of money without a single benefit.

In most cases, if the cattle are deficient in a mineral that means that the plants aren't getting the minerals they need from the soil. Give the plants what they need and they will grow more better quality feed.
That is probably the case with the basic plant nutrients like phosphorous however I don't think it is practical or works with the trace minerals.

Ken

And there are antagonistic minerals and such that play into it all, too.

Here are some soil tests that I took a few years ago. The tests look at many of the minerals that both plants and cattle need. I consulted with an agronomist a few years ago and we came up with a plan to address the issues. After a couple years, it is clear to me that addressing soil mineral health is a good place to invest in. It takes a bit of faith because we don't measure how much grass we have directly.
IMG_0024.png

Here are some soil tests that I took a few years ago. The tests look at many of the minerals that both plants and cattle need. I consulted with an agronomist a few years ago and we came up with a plan to address the issues. After a couple years, it is clear to me that addressing soil mineral health is a good place to invest in. It takes a bit of faith because we don't measure how much grass we have directly.
View attachment 38591
A lot of talk has been a concern for selenium. Was there anything concerning that in some other form of testing or another paper showing results?

Maybe on the paper exampled but not defined as "selenium"?

View attachment 38591
I do a soil test on my horse pastures every year, and on my bermuda fields, after each cutting. I always lime and fertilize to the UGA specs, and always add any minerals that the soil is insufficient on. You need to do that first, before you add blocks or loose minerals. Then you supplement with loose minerals as well as add them to your fertilizer. It is hard top overcome a soil deficiency with just feeding loose minerals alone. and, if you add them as needed top your fertilizer ever year, it won;t be long til you wont need very much either added to the fertilizier or fed stand-=alone.

View attachment 38591
I see your organic matter is very low. Has it improved since you've started this process?

I see your organic matter is very low. Has it improved since you've started this process?
About the simplest and most effective way to increase the organic matter on pastures is to grow grass. I'll explain. Grass roots only live two years. So, every two years, all the live roots you see on a grass plant that you dig up today have died and become part of the soil. Now, the best way to grow roots on grass is to grow, or effectively manage, the leaf area on the grass. You do this by NOT grazing the grass plants too short (3 inches on 'tame', sod forming grasses (KY bluegrass, orchard grass, timothy, tall fescue, Bermuda, Bahia) and giving the grasses ample time (28-30 days) to regrow to a grazable height. Grazing any shorter or giving less recovery time will slow/stall plant growth (both leaf area and roots) resulting in less production of both.

About the simplest and most effective way to increase the organic matter on pastures is to grow grass. I'll explain. Grass roots only live two years. So, every two years, all the live roots you see on a grass plant that you dig up today have died and become part of the soil. Now, the best way to grow roots on grass is to grow, or effectively manage, the leaf area on the grass. You do this by NOT grazing the grass plants too short (3 inches on 'tame', sod forming grasses (KY bluegrass, orchard grass, timothy, tall fescue, Bermuda, Bahia) and giving the grasses ample time (28-30 days) to regrow to a grazable height. Grazing any shorter or giving less recovery time will slow/stall plant growth (both leaf area and roots) resulting in less production of both.
I really did not need that explained to me, but thanks. The question was simply whether the organic matter had improved since he started the process.

Mineral in the soil does not guarantee adequate amounts in the forage it grows. It sure helps but it is not foolproof.

A lot of talk has been a concern for selenium. Was there anything concerning that in some other form of testing or another paper showing results?

Maybe on the paper exampled but not defined as "selenium"?
Selenium is not an important plant nutrient so it isn't included on normal soil tests. There is some fertilization with going on with selenium for animal and human health in places like Finland.

I doubt there would be much improvement in soil organic matter. Even in the best conditions improving organic matter is a slow process. An acre of soil is about 2,000,000 pounds so even in the best situation a gain of a tenth of a percentage point a year.
I am finding that ultimate issue that is limiting yields for me is a shallow soil profile. Water and air are the two most important nutrients. On the next block,I am planning to break up the hard pan around 20 to 24 inches, fertilize, plant a deep rooted cover crop this winter. And then in the fall come back with a summer dormant fescue this fall.

I doubt there would be much improvement in soil organic matter. Even in the best conditions improving organic matter is a slow process. An acre of soil is about 2,000,000 pounds so even in the best situation a gain of a tenth of a percentage point a year.
I am finding that ultimate issue that is limiting yields for me is a shallow soil profile. Water and air are the two most important nutrients. On the next block,I am planning to break up the hard pan around 20 to 24 inches, fertilize, plant a deep rooted cover crop this winter. And then in the fall come back with a summer dormant fescue this fall.
Yuo are saying break up the hard pan and plant a deep rooted cover crop. I'm guessing you are including forage/tillage radishes. If you don't have plans for them, I suggest you check them out. If you don't already know, they can be an important tool in addressing your compaction layer.

There was a good program on American Rancher tonight. It was about 6666's mineral program. One was a mineral mix for cows, CONCEP- something,. Made by Biozyme. They saw an average of 42 lbs weaning weight at 210 days vs what they were getting before they started using these minerals. Their calves gained at average of ,2lbs per day growth when using those minerals. They said at $2.75 a lb, the 42 lb heavier steer brought an extra $1.25... 2 and 1/2 times what the cost of the minerals to get him there cost: about $46. That is $70 a head more, Or, another way to look at it is.....if you don't feed it you are losing $70 per head.

There was a good program on American Rancher tonight. It was about 6666's mineral program. One was a mineral mix for cows, CONCEP- something,. Made by Biozyme. They saw an average of 42 lbs weaning weight at 210 days vs what they were getting before they started using these minerals. Their calves gained at average of ,2lbs per day growth when using those minerals. They said at $2.75 a lb, the 42 lb heavier steer brought an extra $1.25... 2 and 1/2 times what the cost of the minerals to get him there cost: about $46. That is $70 a head more, Or, another way to look at it is.....if you don't feed it you are losing $70 per head.
Yes, Concept Aid is what I feed. It is a VitaFerm product by BioZyme. This is what a lot of the breeders on here recommend. My nephew became a dealer because I couldn't get the product local.

so even in the best situation a gain of a tenth of a percentage point a year.
If you are getting 1/10 of a percent you are going in the right direction and doing fine. I was just curious if you had been regularly testing and had noticed an improvement in organic matter since you started. These things do take time but nonetheless need to be addressed if soil health is a priority.

Latest posts