Protein tubs

Help Support CattleToday:

James.D

Reaction score
Has anyone made or come up with a good way to secure protein tubs to keep cattle from turning over/ flipping them? I'm just looking for ideas. Thanks.

Has anyone made or come up with a good way to secure protein tubs to keep cattle from turning over/ flipping them? I'm just looking for ideas. Thanks.
I don't use protein tubs but have some that have been given to me that use for water in small pens, these have a lip on the top. I would drill a hole in the lip in a few places and bend a piece of 1/2 " rebar into a J and drive through the hole and into the ground. I had to this with my mineral feeder to keep the bull from flipping it except it had holes on a lip at the bottom.

That looks very stout.

Ken
2-7/8" tubing. Yes, very stout. Can say they are bull proof, especially because they end up putting their foot into one of the "squares" before putting their head in/near the tub. Wasn't planned that way, just a bonus.

Nice but how do you get them in it?
Use either the loader with pallet forks spread distance apart to hook the edges of the tub, or put in the Mule, back up and drop in. Have extra one now (way less cows), drilled a couple ~1" holes in bottom of used tub and put salt lick blocks for cows in them.

Edited to add: Also have used loader bucket. Easier to manually slide tub in bucket, then pull off into holder.

i get oversize (33-35") pickup tires 18 or 20 inch depending upon tub size and place them in there. i also put a U bolt in the tire so i can drag them around as needed behind my sxs. works great! i kinda do the same thing with my mineral feeders also. use a 55gal barrel with an opening for the head. use 3 lag bolts extending into the tire opening and U bolt the tire as well. typically those are old 24" truck or tractor tires as well.

i get oversize (33-35") pickup tires 18 or 20 inch depending upon tub size and place them in there. i also put a U bolt in the tire so i can drag them around as needed behind my sxs. works great! i kinda do the same thing with my mineral feeders also. use a 55gal barrel with an opening for the head. use 3 lag bolts extending into the tire opening and U bolt the tire as well. typically those are old 24" truck or tractor tires as well.
I did this on my first mineral feeder but my bulls shredded it. Just tore the barrel up, worked well before that though. I went to the B&W flap style now, bulls can't flip them, to wide and low and get less water in them

Latest posts