To much protein?

Help Support CattleToday:

fnfarms1

Reaction score
In the past on my butcher steers I limit them to 10lbs or so hay and 10-25 lbs of commodity mix depending age and size. This year neighbor had teff hay (17% protein)with weeds he round baled. Decided more proteins better right? Well they're getting 15ish lbs teff and 15lbs commodity mix that runs 12% protein. I don't feel like they're gaining well. Am I or doing the protein?

I like unlimited hay for beefs esting lits of corn, but I like stemmy mature hay.

My beefs keep loose manure. I slowly work them up to all the whole corn they'll consume. I think one in thr last group went off the corn 2 days prior to dispatch.

That is too much protein. The 12% is about right for 700# calves - dropping to 10-11 as they get heavier. Protein is growing FRAME, not muscle.
I don't know what your "commodity mix" is, but "butcher steers" need CORN. They need "carbs" not protein. Everyone comes up with fancy mixes to feed, but whole shell corn is the BEST and cheapest to finish out steers. If your "commodity mix" is a sweet feed, you will have trouble getting them switched to WSC. Like kids, they get hooked on sweet feed.
If you are happy with your mix, if nothing else, you need to stop feeding 17% protein hay. And if you are building your steers up to 25# grain, they need free choice long stem hay.

That is too much protein. The 12% is about right for 700# calves - dropping to 10-11 as they get heavier. Protein is growing FRAME, not muscle.
I don't know what your "commodity mix" is, but "butcher steers" need CORN. They need "carbs" not protein.
There was a row crop farmer that lived behind me growing up Cotton and beans were his cash crop, but he planted the field directly behind us in corn and oats. His brother-in-law had a dairy behind him. He'd get those calves and get them started eating crimped oats and ground soybeans as soon as they would. He crimped the oats and ground the beans himself. After a few months, he'd feed them cracked corn, that he ground himself til he sold them or butchered them. What you posted above makes perfect sense for what he did. Put size on them first, then fatten them up last.

I don't know what your "commodity mix" is, but "butcher steers" need CORN. They need "carbs" not protein. Everyone comes up with fancy mixes to feed, but whole shell corn is the BEST and cheapest to finish out steers. If your "commodity mix" is a sweet feed, you will have trouble getting them switched to WSC. Like kids, they get hooked on sweet feed.
If you are happy with your mix, if nothing else, you need to stop feeding 17% protein hay. And if you are building your steers up to 25# grain, they need free choice long stem hay.
Yeah I switched them to long stem hay and they're up to nearly 20lbs of feed. I know better than to feed that much protein, just got caught up in using that extra protein I guess. It's not my first group, been doing this on my own 10yrs, just tried something different this year. Grew up showing steers but was a dumb kid that didn't listen and just dumped grain as Dad said to. Never paid attention, older I get, the smarter that old man gets. He's been gone nearly 13 yrs, these are the questions he knew inside and out how to answer. guess I saw the high protein differently since it was a fiber/forage instead of grain.

Latest posts