How much is too much?

Help Support CattleToday:

Hogfarmer10

Reaction score
I've got a pasture that I rotate cattle through. I mowed it for hay early and it has been growing back for 5-6 weeks. It's always had some red clover in it (15-25%), but now it's closer to 75%-80%. It's blooming heavily and is almost knee high. I'm afraid it'll cause them to bloat. Am I wrong?

Not interested in square baling. Only person around me with a square baler charges $1.70/bale, 250 bale minimum. And he stays pretty busy. I could round bale it if it's an absolute necessity, but I'd much rather be able to graze it

It's ok as long as you have a mineral tub. I dont have it In the top of my head but it's the magnesium that allows them to burp. I have clover, red and white and now crimson, i planted this year in the fields. Haven't had a problem in many years, since I started tubs. Not 50% of the field but.....

It's ok as long as you have a mineral tub. I dont have it In the top of my head but it's the magnesium that allows them to burp. I have clover, red and white and now crimson, i planted this year in the fields. Haven't had a problem in many years, since I started tubs. Not 50% of the field but.....
Thank you. Mine get free choice loose mineral year round. This group of 28 averages about a bag/week. Do you think that is adequate or should I add a mineral tub as well?

I graze clover heavy ground quite a bit. I've heard clover can trick you into thinking it's more of the stand than it really is. Leaf shape and plant structure makes it look huge.

We are covered in it this year. Absolutely everywhere.

If you're concerned at all I'd toss a bale of hay in a feeder and give them access to it.

If you give them days worth at a time I can see if possibly being a problem. They could go for the clover and nothing else for a day or two. Giving them 1 days worth at a time will prevent that to a degree.

Makes me wonder if it'd be better to initially turn them onto it of the evening with high sugar content or of morning with lower sugar. Might make no difference.

Thank you. Mine get free choice loose mineral year round. This group of 28 averages about a bag/week. Do you think that is adequate or should I add a mineral tub as well?

I use about a hi mag tub a month with 16. The tub just makes it waterproof. The only ones they use and not devour like candy are the black molasses tubs. I think free choice would be fine.

I graze clover heavy ground quite a bit. I've heard clover can trick you into thinking it's more of the stand than it really is. Leaf shape and plant structure makes it look huge.

We are covered in it this year. Absolutely everywhere.

If you're concerned at all I'd toss a bale of hay in a feeder and give them access to it.

If you give them days worth at a time I can see if possibly being a problem. They could go for the clover and nothing else for a day or two. Giving them 1 days worth at a time will prevent that to a degree.

Makes me wonder if it'd be better to initially turn them onto it of the evening with high sugar content or of morning with lower sugar. Might make no difference.

I would turn them in on it when it's dry from any morning dew and make sure they had access to something before turn in so they wouldn't over eat on it when turned in on it. The controlled grazing would be the way to go, making them eat a mixture instead of just the clover, maybe even cutting it to a couple of hours or a half a day at first allowing them to adjust to it some before being on it for a full day.

My pastures are very heavy in white clover. I have been grazing this way for a very long time. I put the clover in the pasture and it has been there almost 20 years. Can't remember the exact date, but the grass and clover was planted before cows were brought in.

This is my recipe for heavy clover grazing. Feed Rumensin in your mineral and if you don't have it in your mineral, you may have to mix some heavily where you can feed a small amount of feed to get it in them. But in the summer, my Rumensin is in my mineral. Cheaper to feed it that way.

Rumensin keeps down frothy bloat by 80% and when you have them on that much clover, always keep a dry hay bale in the pasture for them to go to. The very dry hay slows down digestion, and it is thought that the stemy dry hay helps to keep but bubbles broken up. I have noticed that my cows will go to that dry bale late in the afternoon, right before they lay down and they will all be around. But they don't eat that much and it takes a while for them to go through it, so they just want that dry hay when they lay down.

Never lost a single cow to bloat. Lost one where it laid down in a slight drainage depression, and she got her feet above her head and could not get up. She laid there that night, and when I went out in the pasture the next morning, she was pretty much gone. Made me sick.