How much grain for beef steers?

Help Support CattleToday:

caseyw

Reaction score
These are our first beef master steers and I have been told several different things from several different people on how much grain to feed. They are about 300-350 pounds and are on pasture right now along with free choice hay since grass is getting low, but they haven't touched the hay much yet. Some people have told me to feed 1lb per 100lbs of body weight, and others have said 2% of body weight. I have worked them up to 4 lbs each per day so far, 2lbs in morning and 2lbs in evening each. They are currently on red chain stocker 12 and free choice minerals. Could anyone advise on how much to feed per day while growing? Just don't want to cause issues from feeding too much. Thanks

If you are trying to grow them slow I'd say 2 pounds twice a day is good. If you want to push them I'd go 3 pounds twice a day. The protien level is just as important as how much you feed them. I'd keep the protein at 12-14%, anymore and they'll be eating the bark of trees. We feed weaned calves weighing 500-600 6.5# once a day of 14% feed with very little to no hay and they make it through the winter just fine. They'll gain about a 1.5 pounds a day and look nice too.

It's really best to watch their body condition and manure and adjust the feed for your area though. Sounds like you on the right track though.

I have them at 12% protein right now. There is a feed that is a bit cheaper that is 10%. Is that too low to go for them right now?

One sounded like it was coughing a bit this morning. Still wanted to eat just fine. Yesterday and today the lows were about 39-40 which is a pretty big change for where we live in Texas and it will be 80 this afternoon. Could it just be the weather or is it more likely a respiratory illness? Thank y'all for the helpful answers.

One sounded like it was coughing a bit this morning. Still wanted to eat just fine. Yesterday and today the lows were about 39-40 which is a pretty big change for where we live in Texas and it will be 80 this afternoon. Could it just be the weather or is it more likely a respiratory illness? Thank y'all for the helpful answers.
This is the kind of weather that gets pneumonia going. It's quick and easy to get a rectal temp. I really my vet saying 103.8 or so and they are running a fever even if they look ok.

Latest posts