The Science of Grain Finishing Beef

Help Support CattleToday:

I just got a small sample size but maybe changed my thoughts on my future. I had 3 steers that were smaller and didn't match the group. Kept them a while thinking I would see how they sell and hauled them at 850 lbs. was disappointed with the sales and talked to the salebarn about best weight to bring them in . His opinion is if you're not bringing a truck load in you're likely better off selling them between 5-6 weight. Any thoughts?
I heard it explained that the reason that age group is so expensive is because the stockers can get a greater differential in weight to out weight, which makes them so valuable for them and drives the prices up. It is my estimation that the market as it stands is set up for the feedlot driven market, which leaves the private pasture to table producer in a position where they need to have real quality to offset their extra costs. This brings us to the discussion on improving soils and grasses to increase nutrient quality of meat.

Most people have no idea how complex a finishing ration is .Ingredients can change almost daily depending on weather, size, ingredient cost, gain needed and many other things.
There is a real art to reading bunks and predicting or adjusting a ration.
I feed with a TMR wagon with no scale. Old school. I know how many pounds of each ingredient my cattle are getting. But anyone else would be screwed if they had to feed for me.