Vitaferm Mineral Program

Help Support CattleToday:

I am so sorry to hear that about Slick as I know those around him must miss him a lot. He is a good man. But as I have grown older, I see that we pass on, from this life to the next phase. When we lose a friend or a loved one, they are not in our past, but in our future. We lose this earthly body, but we are still very much alive, just not here. And it does not keep us from missing them, but to know they just went before us; for they are now where we all long to be. Heaven is a place of love and beauty and they do not want to come back, but they wait for us to join them. To lose a child or a spouse can be crippling, as our brains go through a major chemistry change as it is hard to accept, as nothing can make sense for a while. Some people go for years trying to make sense of it. But after we can recover, and regain mental strength, we too will be there with them and know that it is part of our journey. All is Good!! This is just how I see our journey that is set before us.

Good mineral is not cheap. My mineral runs close to the same price, but I think a few dollars less. But for some reason I cannot recall what I paid a bag for it. For some reason now..... I cannot recall a lot of things....I don't think it is going to get any better.

It is good that we all have different opinions, otherwise, how would we stretch our thinking out? Close mindedness is a handicap. When someone disagrees or sees it differently, it does not make it wrong at all. Often people make me see something a way I did not think before. This is good.

elkwc, I agree on the mineral feeder deal. Really, the best feeder was the one that sat on the ground with the big flat piece of rubber that the older cows would flip up and get mineral out of. But that was what I called an "adult" feeder. Ha-ha!! Not for kids. I wanted my calves to have that mineral as badly as I did the cows and the bull.

I have not found the perfect mineral feeder beause it must be set outside. The cookie monster, American-Ag feeder is working with the calves real well. I think my favorite part are the fly strips as it was the most efficient to keeping flies out of the calves and cows eyes. I want the mineral feeder with all the bells and whistles. The calves would not lift the flap up on the other one that I spoke about, that had a fly dope container on top that I kept filled. I would see the mineral oil across their forehead and it worked real well. Those flaps hanging down look like they are sticking their head into a sharks mouth. Not sure if any of them have ever seen a picture of a shark, so I took my chances.

I have not tried the one that sits on legs like the weather vane that you speak of because I would go by my neighbors field, and it would be laying on it's side. So, that stuck in my mind. Now I know there are probably as many different models of those, and they could not have had the legs long enough or spaced just right that the bull could push it over. So I would need to investigate that situation.

I suppose the best mineral feeder would to have it under roof. That is another period of life for me, like in my next life. To build a structure where they can go inside to eat mineral. Then they would prove to show me that I did not get it quite right. :rolleyes:

We have never had an issue with bulls pushing the whirlybird types over. Regardless if the base is round or a rectangle it needs to be around twice the size of pan above and it needs to be shorter. The taller they are the easier to turn over. Some of the current feeders are too tall.
What I have found with those with a rubber top that if the rubber is too thick and heavy calves have more issues raining them. Most of ours the calves have no issue and eat out of them.

It is good that we all have different opinions, otherwise, how would we stretch our thinking out? Close mindedness is a handicap. When someone disagrees or sees it differently, it does not make it wrong at all. Often people make me see something a way I did not think before. This is good.
Welcome back Suzanne. Sorry to hear about Kevin.

Ken

I used Vitaferm 5S 9 months out of the year and Heat in the 3 months of summer for about 3 years. I was disappointed with the results. While using Vitaferm, I had more sickness. I had retained placenta I hadn't had in years. I had pinkeye which I hadn't had in years. My conception rates were lower - I am 100% AI. It was expensive. I didn't see any real positive results. Last year (2022) I switched back to a cheaper and on paper a "worse" mineral. Cows are doing good. No pink eye this past summer (2023). No retained placenta. Maybe it was all coincidence, but I don't plan to switch back to Vitaferm minerals.

Chuckle I agree 100%. I have stated many times that what what works best for one person doesn't work best for another. More than one way to skin a cat. So many feel one size fits all. Doesn't matter if it is type and size of cattle, what type of feed or mineral. Or what we use to process calves, wean calves or doctor those that are sick. Most of us base our decisions based on our experiences. What works in one environment and management system may not work as well in another. I learn from those with different experiences and opinions. What is a game changer for one may not work for another. I respect others views and opinions and like for them to respect mine. I research everything before I try it. Then depending on what it is seek advice from those with expertise and experience with it. I consult my vets, nutritionist, top cattle men or women, ect. Even then sometimes I see different results.

Mine very seldom eat mineral. I've tried wind & rain, vitaferm, and some from Lonestar feed. Keep it out of the weather under a shed with some loose salt and a mineral block. Bag of vitaferm 5s concept aid has been out there 6 months and still 2/3rds of it still remains. They have free choice liquid feed so maybe they are getting some mineral from that. Wonder if distance from the water source plays a role in consumption…water is about 75 yards away.

After reading about Vitaferm in the Ferappease thread we've decided to look into it again. We looked years ago but the closet dealer was a good ways off so we scrapped the idea. After looking we now have a dealer only 25 miles away. I'd like some real world info from those feeding vtiferm. Are y'all feeding bags or tubs and which product and what time of year? We're in NE Texas so winter temps are typically 20*-60 November through April and get above 100* from July- 1st part of September. I bring up the temps because the dealer I talked with years ago brought up the Heat mineral for summer time. Also how much are they eating a day?
I used concept aid for 4 years, it worked really well for me. Tried all kinds of other minerals and kept going back the vitaferm. Last year I switched to Riomax. It cost more up front but saves me a ton on feeding hay/my pastures last longer now. After a full year on it, I spent less than when I used concept aid. You could look into Riomax, if not, I think you'll like the vitaferm concept aid. Good luck

Mine very seldom eat mineral. I've tried wind & rain, vitaferm, and some from Lonestar feed. Keep it out of the weather under a shed with some loose salt and a mineral block. Bag of vitaferm 5s concept aid has been out there 6 months and still 2/3rds of it still remains. They have free choice liquid feed so maybe they are getting some mineral from that. Wonder if distance from the water source plays a role in consumption…water is about 75 yards away.
I have seen recommendations to keep the mineral well away from the watering point mainly to minimise them congregating in one area. If they need it they will chase after it. They are good at finding bones to lick and chew on if they are phosphorous deficient. The idea is to have it out there for when and if they need it not force it upon them.

Ken

They will never eat much mineral if you have loose salt out for them. The reason they eat mineral is for the SALT. Salt alone is not providing what they need. There are many different free choice liquids. A cow would have to eat a whole "mineral" block to get her daily dose of needed minerals.

They will never eat much mineral if you have loose salt out for them. The reason they eat mineral is for the SALT. Salt alone is not providing what they need. There are many different free choice liquids. A cow would have to eat a whole "mineral" block to get her daily dose of needed minerals.
So get rid of the salt?

So get rid of the salt?
Our cattle weren't eating much mineral and we were told to not put out salt. We have the triple compart ground type feeders and would do 2 mineral and 1 salt. Salt was always gone long before the mineral.

A cow would have to eat a whole "mineral" block to get her daily dose of needed minerals.
Nonsense. I suggest you look up what levels of ingredients of either a block or a bag of minerals are toxic to cattle. You really need to quit spreading that misinformation. If the copper, iodine, cobalt, selenium etc. that are in a block of TM120 were fed to a cow daily in pure form it would be levels toxic to a cow.

I used concept aid for 4 years, it worked really well for me. Tried all kinds of other minerals and kept going back the vitaferm. Last year I switched to Riomax. It cost more up front but saves me a ton on feeding hay/my pastures last longer now. After a full year on it, I spent less than when I used concept aid. You could look into Riomax, if not, I think you'll like the vitaferm concept aid. Good luck
Sent you a message asking some questions about Riomax.

Well, that "might" be an exaggeration, but not by much.
Nonsense. I suggest you look up what levels of ingredients of either a block or a bag of minerals are toxic to cattle. You really need to quit spreading that misinformation. If the copper, iodine, cobalt, selenium etc. that are in a block of TM120 were fed to a cow daily in pure form it would be levels toxic to a cow.