Protein Tubs

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred":35vtvngh said:
farmerjan":35vtvngh said:
We use some 20% All natural protein tubs on occasion. No point in using the 28% ones when the extra protein is urea and the cows basically get no benefit out of it.

Find the person that taught you this and tell him he's a dumb liar. :nod: :nod:

TB if I remember right all the protein in CLS came from urea.
It was an easy way to maintain a cow over the winter on sorry forage or hay.
You better have something for them to eat or they would walk themselves down trying to put out the fire in their belly.

Caustic Burno":bf43upqw said:
TexasBred":bf43upqw said:
farmerjan":bf43upqw said:
We use some 20% All natural protein tubs on occasion. No point in using the 28% ones when the extra protein is urea and the cows basically get no benefit out of it.

Find the person that taught you this and tell him he's a dumb liar. :nod: :nod:

TB if I remember right all the protein in CLS came from urea.
It was an easy way to maintain a cow over the winter on sorry forage or hay.
You better have something for them to eat or they would walk themselves down trying to put out the fire in their belly.

IMO that is where urea tubs shine. Getting cows to eat dry or frosted grass. If your feeding hay every day you can supplement with something cheaper... your feeding every day anyway. Tubs are for Cattle on plentiful but sorry grass. It gives them protein and fat and cause's them to plow through more grass. And if they run out they just might eat the Fence.
We feed the pvm tubs. Their 28percent with 20 coming from urea and 5 percent fat. 1 225 pound tub will typically last 20 about 2 weeks. Cattle being fed hay don't get tubs....that's crazy talk.

Fence you can't make the price shine anyway you slice it.
They are way overpriced for convenience.
Be way cheaper to put out a 300 gallon liquid feed and have the supplier fill it up.

Would putting out a tub for calves at weaning be of any benefit?
Would it help with stress, help them adjust, reduce weight loss, give them something to do instead of bawl all day?

Son of Butch":3acsicvj said:
Would putting out a tub for calves at weaning be of any benefit?

My "calf tubs" have bovatec to fight back coccidia. Probably a cheaper way to do that than in tubs too...

Caustic Burno":34od9ip0 said:
Fence you can't make the price shine anyway you slice it.
They are way overpriced for convenience.
Be way cheaper to put out a 300 gallon liquid feed and have the supplier fill it up.

I agree with you on that :shock:
But we can move the tubs with the cattle. A pasture may grow belt buckle high bluestem grass between when we have to pull out for deer season and frost. We can get back on those places in January. 80 bucks per 20 head for two weeks and no hay ,no worries is doable.
On pasture that I own or have long term leases overseeding GULF ryegrass seems to be the best option.
Again tubs are like a specialty tool. Not to be used nillywilly but good ones have there place.

Also the empties are handy as a pocket on a shirt :D

"Also the empties are handy as a pocket on a shirt"
yeah, I've got a crap load of them that floated in here from somewhere..most appear to be for horses and are the shorter ones..maybe held 100 lbs. equilix I think they are.

I gave all I had to my niece when she was moving..told her I didn't want them back.

Saw my cousin out in west Texas last month. He says out there, he feeds no hay, just some cubes once or twice/week and uses protein tubs, but has a different kind of grass and he has lots of acreage that turns into dry grass winter. He says his brangus will eat that dry stuff (some kind of bunch grass) and it'll take care of their energy needs but it wouldn't work here with bahia.

Been thinking about getting some Klein grass started here but I really don't know anything about it.

So for those of you that feed the range cubes, how much do you give your cattle per week?

kilroy60":2dxdeo9j said:
So for those of you that feed the range cubes, how much do you give your cattle per week?
Depends on the time of year. The calves I just weaned get 1.73 lbs per day (66 lbs for 38 calves) but I turned them out on the brome field yesterday so will cut back a little.

I have never seen range cubes. Do they come in a bag or by the ton? Do you feed daily? How about when the snow gets deep? The cost of protein sounds nice but?????

ddd75":vaep7hab said:
holy crap 66 lbs a day.. thats soem expensive poop!

About 10.00 bucks for 38 calves.

farmguy":vaep7hab said:
I have never seen range cubes. Do they come in a bag or by the ton? Do you feed daily? How about when the snow gets deep? The cost of protein sounds nice but?????

You can buy them in bags or by the ton. We don't use them at all at home. We use cottonseed and corn.
On other pastures I'll put out a few pounds per head every time I check the cows. Which averages about once a week. Im not really feeding the cubes. They just get the cattle to come to the truck so I can get a count etc.
Those that do feed cubes will feed 2 to 7 pounds typically. They are typically just poured out on the ground in a long line in the pasture. No bunks

tubes that have UREA in them can not be used where a horse or mule is. just thought someone might need to know with all the tub talk.
That's what the feed mill told me maybe TexasBred can say if this is true.

Cattle cubes a couple years ago we got a new Wall Mart and they thought they would sell feed, but it did not go over well, so they stopped. I happen to be there at the right time and bought all their cubes they had like a 150 + bags for 5.00 a bag. they were CALF MANNA cubes that had strong smell to them and took a couple days for the cows to like them but when they started eating them they would run over you to get them. The cubes looked more uniform and not like they had as much junk in them as some cubes I have bought. I never seen then before and never seen them again but would buy some more if the price was right.

BRYANT":2iijhkrj said:
tubes that have UREA in them can not be used where a horse or mule is. just thought someone might need to know with all the tub talk.
That's what the feed mill told me maybe TexasBred can say if this is true.

Cattle cubes a couple years ago we got a new Wall Mart and they thought they would sell feed, but it did not go over well, so they stopped. I happen to be there at the right time and bought all their cubes they had like a 150 + bags for 5.00 a bag. they were CALF MANNA cubes that had strong smell to them and took a couple days for the cows to like them but when they started eating them they would run over you to get them. The cubes looked more uniform and not like they had as much junk in them as some cubes I have bought. I never seen then before and never seen them again but would buy some more if the price was right.
Most feeds with urea should and most do carry a warning for horses, however, seldom will they ever consume enough of it to hurt them but occasionally there will be that one that consumes enough for it to be toxic, thus the warning.....can also be toxic to cattle if included in the ration in an excessive amount. Have seen many standing at a lick tank licking. Bad thing is that a horses digestion system simply does not utiize the urea.

Lucky_P":fcdc4hs6 said:
I know it's really easy to kick those tubs out there, but... dang! they just look like an extremely expensive way to provide a little bit of protein.
I can buy a ton of DDG with 27% CP for $120... but a 200lb 28% tub is upward of $60...
That works out to 22 cents/lb(DDG) vs $1.13/lb(tub) for supplemental protein.
I believe I can spend a few minutes a day toting a few buckets of DDG to get 6X more protein in 'em for the same money.
Lucky_P you should be ashamed stealing all that good DDG at that price. :lol2: :lol2: :hide:

TexasBred":2i7s6m2d said:
Lucky_P":2i7s6m2d said:
I know it's really easy to kick those tubs out there, but... dang! they just look like an extremely expensive way to provide a little bit of protein.
I can buy a ton of DDG with 27% CP for $120... but a 200lb 28% tub is upward of $60...
I believe I can spend a few minutes a day toting a few buckets of DDG to get 6X more protein in 'em for the same money.
Lucky_P you should be ashamed stealing all that good DDG at that price. :lol2: :lol2: :hide:

Just priced it here. $170 a ton plus delivery making it about $200 a ton to come fill my gravity boxes off a grain truck.

Your price on tubs is also cheaper than my tubs - though my tubs are mineral tubs that contain protein.

angus9259":1tu7lpab said:
TexasBred":1tu7lpab said:
Lucky_P":1tu7lpab said:

Just priced it here. $170 a ton plus delivery making it about $200 a ton to come fill my gravity boxes off a grain truck.

Your price on tubs is also cheaper than my tubs - though my tubs are mineral tubs that contain protein.
Haven't priced DDG down this way in along time but sure it would be well over $200 a ton....most higher quality molasses tubs will run you $80 or more for 200 lbs. More if it has IGR and/or is classified as a mineral tub.

Latest posts